Little help, can’t decide on a new Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Little help, can’t decide on a new Salt?

Post by benben »

I’ve yet to own any LC200N, and I love those Green scales! My issue is I can’t decide on what edge and what blade shape?

So, I do own and use weekly a serrated H1 Pacific Salt, love that knife! Pound for pound & dollar for dollar I think it’s one of the best knives and best values in the entire lineup!

In my mind it’s almost hard to imagine NOT buying a Salt in serrated edge, but do I take advantage of a plain edge in LC200N? And what other steel would you compare 200 to as far as edge holding ability?

My three Spyderco’s in serrated that I EDC and do yard work with are…..
*That serrated Pacific I already mentioned.
*A serrated Rockjumper.
*And a serrated Native LW.

Love the Rockjumper, and I have several Wharncliffe knives, but I think I’m good on that blade shape right now, a Drop point is just a more useful blade shape, for me!

Another thing is I’m afraid the Salt 2 will be too small even though sometimes it’d be nice to have a little smaller knife in my pocket wearing shorts and working around the yard. But I do already have that Native LW so there’s that.

A plain edge Pacific would be nice for food prep while on vacation, but that’s just a couple times a year so not sure if that’s enough of a reason to go that route?

I’ll probably end up with another serrated Pacific Salt? Really just want to try LC200N, or maybe I just want a Green knife? ;)

Just thinking out loud, thought I’d ask.
VooDooChild

Re: Little help, can’t decide on a new Salt?

Post by VooDooChild »

Get a plain edge Pacific Salt 2 lc200n or a plain edge Native 5 Salt lc200n, whichever you think you would like best and use more.

Lc200n is great. No, it is not amazing (or even that good) at edge holding. But it sharpens like a dream. I would say its closest to bd1n in terms of edge holding and sharpenability.

If you already have serrated h1, then plain edge lc200n seems like the logical alternative choice.

For me, I know theres a difference in grind, but I dont think theres enough of a difference between a serrated LC pac salt and a serrated H1 pac salt. Everything is the same except the grind and they cut similarly. Anything the serrated LC pac salt can do, the serrated H1 pac salt can also do, even if the flat grind cuts better sometimes. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Theres also the caribbean to consider.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I would be no help here. I have and use a PE and SE version of the Native Salt and Pacific Salt all in LC. They are all great. Couldn't pick a fave. I have definitely carried and used the PE Native Salt the most of the four- it is the most versatile of the bunch for my uses.

I also have a couple SpydieChefs which i also love and an H1 Dragonfly Hawkbill SE. I will buy more salts too. The Magnacut Native 5 is an eventuality for me.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

If you like the size of the Native, then the Salt 2 will be fine as it's basically a Salt version of a Delica 4. Do keep in mind that the Salt 2 and the Pac Salt 2's have more of a modified sheepfoot blade, not as pointy as the Native Salt. I don't mind it at all actually. A 200 to 300 grit ("Vivi" style) edge on LC200N will last you a good long while and and opens up those poly bags of compost like it's a zipper. If it was me, I'd get the Salt 2 PE because I know I'm getting a Native Salt in MagnaCut when it's coming out.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The CQI’d Siren is simply spectacular.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
benben

Post by benben »

Thanks everyone, a plain edge Pacific Salt really makes the most sense to me but now with the Siren thrown in the mix…..? And the PE Salt 2 suggestion has me thinking…

I met vivi awhile back and checked out his new to him at the time Siren and it really felt good in hand!

This is the problem with buying a another knife when you absolutely don’t need another knife! :beaming-face
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

I just went through the same conundrum and settled on the Pacific 2 in LC200N. My first Seki Salt and for my uses the blade size, light weight, and ffg will fit in the collection quite nicely. We’ll see if the Pac Salt ends up being the ultimate pocket hog.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Tough choice. My favorite would be the Pac Salt. So much edge for so little weight. Does great in shorts. The green looks really good in person. I dyed mine just because I carry it everywhere and wanted something less "Boom". Probably will get another green one for dedicated outdoor knife. I have not owned a siren but played around with one for a bit same with the Carribean. I liked both. The Siren has extra grippy G10. Not sure I would like that for an EDC, but I can see why it is an awesome water knife. The Carribean I got to play around with feels pretty good in hand too. It is wide in pocket. Maybe similar to the Manix, but I only tried it once as well.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Skar

Post by Skar »

I don't have a siren but the Caribbean pe is one of my favorite knives to carry, in or out of the water. It cuts so nice, feels like a razor.

I've been wrestling with buying a h1 pac salt se
Funny how that works.

I have a wharncliff salt 2 but it was off center (was hitting the scales) and just doesn't feel right opening and closing it.

@JSumm that dyed salt looks really good 👍.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Skar wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:42 pm
I don't have a siren but the Caribbean pe is one of my favorite knives to carry, in or out of the water. It cuts so nice, feels like a razor.

I've been wrestling with buying a h1 pac salt se
Funny how that works.

I have a wharncliff salt 2 but it was off center (was hitting the scales) and just doesn't feel right opening and closing it.

@JSumm that dyed salt looks really good 👍.
Thanks! I used a Royal Blue and a long dye time. I was trying to get it more to the blue side. The green was holding strong.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageHave to say the Pacific Salt has a special place in my heart , but the Siren really has grown on me . If you decide on a Siren you will be surprised how well knife works not just in a water environment. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:13 pm
Did they fix the Siren lock issues with the CQI update?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:37 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:13 pm
Did they fix the Siren lock issues with the CQI update?
I say CQI, but that may not be the right characterization. The improvement was not a silent rolling one, as CQI implies. It was a public re-do.

I sent my faulty original Siren in for evaluation of its lock and got a brand new faultless one in return. Such was Spyderco’s promise when it learned the defect was widespread.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Since you already like the Pacific, you already like SE, and you already like green, I’d say get the Pac Salt SE in LC200N. You’re almost guaranteed to be pleased.

That said, if you’re even considering a Siren or Caribbean, try to find them to hold. They’re both wonderful knives, and a little off the beaten path compared to the ubiquitous Pacifics.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I personally am at a point where I´d pretty much always recommend SE over PE - also for the food prep you mentioned.
I´d go with the Pac Salt LC200N in SE.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:48 pm
I personally am at a point where I´d pretty much always recommend SE over PE.
Honest question: Why? Is it mainly edge retention and/or cutting fibrous materials?
benben

Post by benben »

Coastal wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Honest question: Why? Is it mainly edge retention and/or cutting fibrous materials?
Of course not Wartstein here, but I think it is, or was a trend? Serrated edges were popular years back, then all of a sudden they weren't, I avoided them cause I "thought" they were too much of a pain to sharpen, and I was very wrong!

I really got my eyes opened when I finally bought a H1 Pacific Salt, I've since bought SE Rockjumper and a SE Native LW, and I forgot about my 20 year old SE Cricket that I haven't seen in forever.

Guys like JD, Evil, and vivi have sang the praises of the serrated edge for what seems like the last five or six years, pretty sure it's not a trend this time around, serrations are here to stay!

But to your question, yes...edge retention and cutting fibrous materials are two very strong quality's of the SE, and I'll add weeds and vines, those are what blew me away! I've yet to use a serrated knife on a cutting board for food prep, maybe I'll have to give it a try but my Shun's make way more sense to me for that job...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coastal wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
benben wrote:
Coastal wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Guys like JD, Evil, and vivi have sang the praises of the serrated edge for what seems like the last five or six years, pretty sure it's not a trend this time around, serrations are here to stay!

..... I've yet to use a serrated knife on a cutting board for food prep, maybe I'll have to give it a try but my Shun's make way more sense to me for that job...

@ Coastal:

- Yes, edge retention is clearly better in my experience than with PE. Plus: Dull SE would still be capable to somehow separate matter, when dull PE would be pretty much useless already

- "Fibrous material": For me "non aggressive SE" cuts almost any material better than PE can, by far not only fibrous stuff. I am not learned enough though to be able to tell if some of that better performance is perhaps due to the more acute chisel grind and not the serrations as such.
This is also true in my use and tests for cutting task where many seem to give PE an advantage (but for me SE works better): One example: Whittling on a stick (not actually detailled carving, but just roughly making the stick pointy) and especially making feathersticks. SE bites deeper into the wood (to be expected due to the steep chisel grind) and produces very fine shavings.

@ Benben:

- I have been "singing the praise if SE" too for quite some time now.
Which goes to show that this edge type also works for guys not as experienced and good at sharpening (= me ;) ) as JD, Vivi and David.

- I'd definitely recommend trying SE (the kind of serrations the Endela or Stretch XL have) on food on a cutting board! As said: The spikes help to initially penetrate matter (for example tomatoe skin) and protect the edge from hitting the board.
On the other hand: Pros like Vivi still prefer PE for cutting food as far as I know.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:41 pm
Tough choice. My favorite would be the Pac Salt. So much edge for so little weight. Does great in shorts. The green looks really good in person. I dyed mine just because I carry it everywhere and wanted something less "Boom". Probably will get another green one for dedicated outdoor knife. I have not owned a siren but played around with one for a bit same with the Carribean. I liked both. The Siren has extra grippy G10. Not sure I would like that for an EDC, but I can see why it is an awesome water knife. The Carribean I got to play around with feels pretty good in hand too. It is wide in pocket. Maybe similar to the Manix, but I only tried it once as well.

Bravo on that color of green sir. Looks like Lil Temp OG green
benben

Post by benben »

Wartstein wrote:
I personally am at a point where I´d pretty much always recommend SE over PE - also for the food prep you mentioned.
I´d go with the Pac Salt LC200N in SE.
Alright Wartstein….don’t never say no one ever listens to you, picked this up this afternoon.
A08765FD-77E2-4ED0-B3C8-EE19C166A8BC.jpeg
D525F55A-633E-4FCF-8F6B-154B7F9F3DF0.jpeg
D26BE572-3E4E-445D-BB70-797CFC0FEE71.jpeg
C503EB9B-F9A5-4ECF-8046-A115B90A4BDB.jpeg
Last edited by benben on Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.