Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Cruwear micarta Bushcraft/Proficient

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mostly just hiding in the woods. ;)

I own one Bushcraft and 2 Proficients. The sticker shock was real but they are worth it to me. I think that once people get their hands on one they get it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My only issue with the price (beyond just plain wishing everything was cheaper) is that at a certain price point you're entering custom knife cost range, and once the difference is around $100 more, I'm most likely going with the custom unless the production model offers something that the custom can't (like steel options).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've said it before, I have customs and a Proficient. The Proficient dances around my customs singing "Can't touch this". It's that good.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The only thing that lets down my Proficient compared to customs is the sheath. Otherwise, based on materials and fit/finish it holds up to any custom I've owned. It's better than some.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The proficient is a great knife. I own two (and a bushcraft). I'd very happily shell out $400-$500 for a CruCarta version. I doubt it would be a market success at that point, so it would basically be Spyderco subsidizing knife nuts.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:55 am
I've said it before, I have customs and a Proficient. The Proficient dances around my customs singing "Can't touch this". It's that good.

I suppose that depends entirely on what customs you've got, wouldn't it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:05 am
The only thing that lets down my Proficient compared to customs is the sheath. Otherwise, based on materials and fit/finish it holds up to any custom I've owned. It's better than some.
I agree that the sheath could be improved. But custom sheaths are not too hard to find, if you are willing to send the knife to the maker and deal with a bit of waiting. If you live in an area with a horse culture, you can probably find a local leatherworker who can make you a nice sheath at a better price than the on-line options, too.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I’m fine with the sheath. It is a deep pocket style leather sheath with eyelets for lashing it to something if ever needed. Quality is decent and the style fits me. I wish it was brown but that is just me being picky.

In the end I am just happy to have what I have. I’ll never part with this one.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for the input. The Proficient is a special model for sure. I'm with Darby, I snagged few for gifts in the future as I don't think we'll be making them again.

We have recently received two variations made by Chris Claycomb. Originally Chris was thinking of trying to produce them himself, but realized what a PITA production can be. They are really nice. I'd like to make both of them.

Unfortunately, we run into the same issues with Manufacturing costs. I've been chatting with Chris about that. We can go with the Taiwan Maker, where we have more steel options, but then we have the higher costs. We've had significantly higher sales on Phil Wilson's latest model making the knife in China. But we're using Chinese steels.

So I would like your opinions on manufacturing locations? Maybe if Chris sees this thread, he'll chime in? Maybe a new thread?

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Taiwan please, not interested in any more chinese knives.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
foofie

Post by foofie »

I am partial to Taiwan, and would gladly pay more for better materials. Most of my favorites, other than the para3, are from Taiwan (Watu, Kapara, Proficient, Ikuchi).
That said - I recently picked up a spalted maple bushcraft in O1. Not as "nice" as the s90v on my proficient - but in my limited use so far it works more than fine. I think any difference so far is more related to the grind.
My roundabout way of saying limited steel offerings is not a deal breaker for me. I don't know that 8cr or s35vn would be a great option, though. But the handle design and overall design are so good that any version is worth it.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I think most here, including myself, would be happiest paying the premium for a Taiwan made knife. However, I'm sure that like the Phil Wilson designs, this one would sell much better in the real world at the low price point of a China made knife.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

As interesting as this knife is to me, $400-$500 puts me out of the market and I won’t buy anything from china if there’s an alternative.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I’m a big fan of how accessible the Bow River is for budding knife knuts. For me the primary advantage to a Claycomb design is the all-day-use ergonomics, so I’d be very excited to see how the market responds to accessing that at a lower price point.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Man, everytime this thread get a new post my heart skips a beat because I think it has arrived, the Crucarta proficient :zany
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Bear with me for a moment, but I think sending out some fixed blades to YouTube reviewers like the boys of Dutch Bushcraft Knives might do something to get the word out that Spyderco is making really excellent non-folding knives.
I just get the impression that people don’t consider Spyderco when they ask themselves what their next fixed blade should be because they’re just not aware.
I can’t believe Spyderco has any trouble with sales of things like the Proficient or Province. Those are some of the best production fixed blades ever, period.
They should be totally ubiquitous in the minds of people interested in quality fixed blade knives. So why not? Maybe its marketing? I don’t know how it all works!

Anyway, I actually wouldn’t mind seeing the Claycomb designs made in China like the Bow River. It would be more accessible and probably sell better which might be good for the future of Spyderco’s fixed blades in the long run.
However, it would be neat to see steels like S35vn, 14c28n, or BD1N, as the Chinese makers seem to be expanding their steel capabilities. I think that would make them more attractive to those who prefer the more premium quality and materials typical of Taiwan.

Making them in Taiwan would be really sweet, of course. Like I said, the Taiwan made fixed blades are such impressive knives. They’d undoubtedly join the ranks of the excellent Proficient in quality.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd pay a substantial premium for a Taichung production with higher end materials. I would prefer production in Taiwan.

For what it's worth, the quality of fit/finish is noticeably different in casual use between the Phil Wilson designs produced in Taiwan and China (and yes, so is the price).

I'll definitely buy a Claycomb design regardless of where it is produced, though. I wonder what the price point on a Chinese production variant in 14c28n would be like?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

My absolute favorite situation would be the knife is made in Golden, with Cruwear, and Micarta, and costs about the same as the Shaman.

Benchmade's Puuko is $160, ESEE's RB3 is $190, LT Wright's Genesis is $230, and Bark River's Bushcrafter is ~ $369. Note these are MSRP, and some can be found much cheaper. I know these comparisons aren't actually apples-apples, but they do demonstrate how the US-made competition measures up.

Second to that, I think that following the example of the Bow River and making it in China to bring the cost down would be a great way to share Spyderco (and Chris Claycomb) with the masses.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:42 pm
My absolute favorite situation would be the knife is made in Golden, with Cruwear, and Micarta, and costs about the same as the Shaman.

Benchmade's Puuko is $160, ESEE's RB3 is $190, LT Wright's Genesis is $230, and Bark River's Bushcrafter is ~ $369. Note these are MSRP, and some can be found much cheaper. I know these comparisons aren't actually apples-apples, but they do demonstrate how the US-made competition measures up.

Second to that, I think that following the example of the Bow River and making it in China to bring the cost down would be a great way to share Spyderco (and Chris Claycomb) with the masses.
I mean, more knives like the Waterway sounds epic to me. You couldn’t get much better than a more general purpose/hunting/bushcraft knife, like a Claycomb design, made by Spyderco in Golden.
Although, I sincerely think that Spyderco makes the best production fixed blade knives regardless of production being in Japan, Taiwan, China, or the US.
European made Spyderco fixed blade should be a thing.
I think I recall Chris Claycomb commenting that he admired the Lionsteel knives?
Last edited by Cl1ff on Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

I would pay more for the Taiwan manufacturing, but mostly because they wouldn't be limited to Chinese steels. I like the Bow River just fine and think the China makers could handle the craftsmanship aspect.

Perhaps one of the designs in China, one in Taiwan?Either way, very excited about the Claycomb knives!