Are We Ready Yet!!?? For A Newer/Better Hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Are We Ready Yet!!?? For A Newer/Better Hawkbill?

Post by sal »

So now I need some input.

I've been working on the new SuperHawk design for several months now. Due to many of the comments on this thread (Thanx JD), I am considering taking a tack and making the handle without a finger choil and bring the edge to the handle like the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

sal
z1r

Post by z1r »

Sal, Great idea. I'd certainly be wiling to give it a go.

One of the things I like about my Hawkbill is that finger choil but I do like the fact that this would give more edge and a useful handle. Sounds like a good enhancement.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I was inspired by the Rockjumper to do that on the reverse-S design I (embarrassingly) still haven’t emailed to who you suggested, Sal, because that’s usually my personal preference for a handle.
I just like design and all the different concepts behind each choice. It’d be neat to see how you’d have that change manifest on the Superhawk!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sounds promising.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Apologies for the long post and the Blue Tape in the comparison shots, I've been reprofiling the Superhawk on the Sharpmaker. But here are some comparison shots with the Spyderhawk.

In the plus column for keeping the choil, you can choke up on the blade and do delicate, precise, careful cuts when needed like opening a box with something valuable in it that you don't just want to slice through. Or if you need to do some precision/delicate work with the tip.

In the plus column for getting rid of the choil, it would put the blade length closer to the length of the Spyderhawk. And for self defense applications 50/50 choils tend to snag material in a bad way.

sal, would it look something like this? See where I've drawn with the sharpie. I really really like the ergos of the Superhawk, if you could preserve them as they are below the choil I think I would like a choiless version. And the added self defense capabilities is a major plus for me. My only other MAJOR concern of course is that if it accidentally closes sharp blade absolutely can not hit my index finger. This is not an issue on the Spyderhawk or Matriarch, so I'm confident you can make that work. Beyond that I see no other deal breakers if that's the direction you go.
As long as it's not a finger biter I'm in.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:01 am

I've been working on the new SuperHawk design for several months now. Due to many of the comments on this thread (Thanx JD), I am considering taking a tack and making the handle without a finger choil and bring the edge to the handle like the Caribbean. Your thoughts?

sal
That all sounds super Mr. Glesser. But I have one huge question to ask about this new Superhawk model. Is this version of the Superhawk going to be available in SE? To me a Hawkbill blade just doesn't have it's full potential realized without a serrated blade. Just look at how many SE Harpy models there are to every PE model>> and all the other Hawkbill models too for that matter. It's not even close. The sales charts don't lie and Hawkbills with TEETH tend to sell better for a reason.

Just my 2 cents >> but other than that one little hurdle it sounds like a winner to me.

And please Mr. Glesser do realize that most of us here very much appreciate all you've done for us >> to go way out of your way to make us happy with your great products.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx JD,

I agree with you on the teeth.

Thanx much for the kind Thank you;

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:

sal

Well....I don't mean to over simplify things but I'd be super happy to just see a hawkbill Caribbean, but yes this is right up my alley.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

Hey y’all,

This is my first post on the Spyderco Forum. Long time fan. I was just wondering how exactly you guys sharpen these type of blades? I recently got the M4 BHQ Dodo and I love it!

-G
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:31 pm

As long as it's not a finger biter I'm in.
+1
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My ears are up.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi BigFishShamu,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:39 am
sal wrote:

sal

Well....I don't mean to over simplify things but I'd be super happy to just see a hawkbill Caribbean, but yes this is right up my alley.
That also sounds splendid to me as well. Oh they can still do an updated version of the Superhawk too. I know I've been redundant over the years but I think the Superhawk might have been a success the first time around if the original model would have had TEETH.

Easy problem to correct however. And a Caribbean Hawkbill that David mentioned??? The sooner the better IMO.
gspam1

Post by gspam1 »

I'm pro-finger choil myself, but will buy one either way.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

gspam1 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:18 pm
I'm pro-finger choil myself, but will buy one either way.
Personally I think that a G-10 handle would be very advantageous on most of Spyderco's Hawkbill models.

I've never really considered the "choil" option on a Hawkbill in the past. I've never really seen any major advantages for those types of models. Maybe it would be worth looking into.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was just out in my yard cutting stuff with my Spyderhawk. Such a brutally effective pull cutter. I really want a thinner blade grind FFG hawkbill, either that or a much higher and thinner hollow grind. The hollow grind isn't terrible but once you're cutting deep enough to hit the top shoulder of the blade grind it's a bit of a door stop unless the material is soft enough to spread apart around it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:31 pm
I was just out in my yard cutting stuff with my Spyderhawk. Such a brutally effective pull cutter. I really want a thinner blade grind FFG hawkbill, either that or a much higher and thinner hollow grind. The hollow grind isn't terrible but once you're cutting deep enough to hit the top shoulder of the blade grind it's a bit of a door stop unless the material is soft enough to spread apart around it.
Yeah I kind of noticed that myself. But I noticed that more than a few times that I've used my blue plain edged 2003 era Spyderhawk. There are 3 jobs I've found a plain edged Hawkbill to be good for. One is harvesting persimmons in the fall. But I've had that same problem cutting through vines and experienced that same problem you've encountered with plain edge and Spyderedged both.

I've kind of wondered why they haven't yet made a full flat grind Hawkbill with TEETH yet. But with Sal reading these threads of late it sure is good to let him know what would be more useful for us.