Mystery Knife Center exclusive coming 6/23 (S90V/burlap micarta Shaman)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Mystery Knife Center exclusive coming 6/23 (S90V/burlap micarta Shaman)

Post by cabfrank »

I saw one of these resold already today. I don't get how someone could own it for such a short time and then flip it. It's like a game, or maybe an addiction.
Last edited by cabfrank on Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:46 am
I saw one of these resold already today. I don't get how someone could own if for such a short time and then flip it. It's like a game, or maybe an addiction.

It's free money. You just need the right moral compass and people willing to overpay, which I guess I have neither.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Big John

Post by Big John »

I see 2 on eBay right now for $335 and $390. eBay charges a 10% fee of the sale price, so these people, after paying $253 or so for the knife, are making about $45 and $95 respectively, (more or less, depending on shipping). That's not a lot of profit to stoop down to hustling your fellow knife enthusiasts who are too busy at work to make online purchases during a brief window of opportunity, but some people have no shame. And I suppose if they do it frequently, they can occasionally buy a knife they'll actually use. I feel it is much better to let someone who will actually enjoy the knife get it for the regular sale price. But, there are also people with plenty of money, whom also are too busy to purchase by the time certain models sell out, that appreciate the opportunity to buy on the secondary market. I suppose it's just "one of those things". But I'm not capable of doing what they do. If I decided I no longer needed a new knife, at the absolute MOST, I would set the price so that I would break even after eBay's %10 fee. More often than not, I take a small loss, and view it as fair in exchange for being able to personally view and handle the model briefly. Times are tougher for everyone these days, and $400 for a $238 knife is a tad ridiculous.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Part of it is probably. "oh **** I need to buy it now it will sell quick" before they even have time to decide if they really want it.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Shmohawk

Post by Shmohawk »

Before I had any Spydercos the only one that piqued my interest was the Shaman.
And that was for purely superficial esthetic reasons.
But it was always hard to get and more expensive than I could justify spending.
I subsequently got pulled in by other models and as I acquired more I realized that for 99.999% of my knife usage I absolutely positively do not need a Shaman.
So when this one dropped I immediately turned my brain off and engaged auto click fingers.
Its arriving today as is another Spydie.

Now I just have to make sure I get to the mailbox before my wife.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Aw shucks. I was caught unawares.
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

Got one in mail today and I have to say they are beautiful, very smooth micarta compared to the cruwear micarta pm2 I have as well. All around happy with my first shaman
:bug-white-red Mendozamike89 :bug-red-white
51 spyderco knives in 20 different types of steels.

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.
psubliminal

Post by psubliminal »

After collecting knives for about 9 months, half of my meager 30-piece collection are Spydercos. I never got a Shaman, though, because I always thought they were too large. But I love green micarta, so when I saw the recent HQ Shaman M4 exclusive, I tried to get one without success. Looking around, it seemed even regular Shamans were hard to find. I happened to be checking my e-mail at the right time on the 23rd, and when I saw the new exclusive Shaman I grabbed one quickly.

It arrived Monday. Like cowboyfromhell, I'd hoped there'd be some texture to the scales (did the prior green micarta Shaman have any?). They look beautiful nonetheless, and they're already brown (my Crucarta PM2 is still khaki). I fell in love with natural looking micarta scales after seeing some really well done python ones on a Shirogorov F3, so many of my G-10 Spydercos have been converted to micarta except the Manix 2 (haven't found any for it) and the Dragonfly (too small to bother). Also I was pleasantly surprised at how "small" the Shaman seemed when I took it out of the box. I don't have especially large hands so I tend toward smaller knives. Manix 2, PM2, Shempp Bowie and Endela are the largest Spydies I own; a large Sebenza 31 and a Shiro F95 (also a KC exclusive) the largest non-Spydies.

The (very sharp) blade was centered out of the box, but the action was very stiff. Loosening the pivot a tad pushed the centering slightly toward the show side, but I'll manage for now. My only other S90V is a Benchmade Mini-Freek. Once I get a new clip for the Shaman, it's going in my pocket for a while. Overall I'm very happy with this knife, and glad I got one, especially since it now shows "Discontinued," not "Out of Stock."
The real art of conversation isn't just saying the right thing at the right time, but leaving unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
WRB

Post by WRB »

I figured they had oiled the scales for the photos. I figured wrong, and I'm not mad about it one bit. :)
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

Yeah I own multiple pm2 pm3 manix 2 and dragonfly's and native 5 all types of steels and exclusives but this is my first shaman I also like others thought it would be to big to edc but it is the same size as the pm2 with a thicker blade stock and fits so perfect in the hand...my crucata pm2 is a light kahki color with a fabric feeling to it while this shaman is smooth and darker colored And has a harder feel more like g10. This is my first s90v spyderco so I'm sure I won't be disappointed I have a cf benchmade bugout 535-3 with the s90v steel that I have only had to strop since owning and putting my own 15° edge on it .

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

I got lucky looking at a shaman to buy but could only find it in s30v with SE( no complaints about s30v but nothin to brag about either) no plain edge to be found and then I get email showing this coming out the next day and only $7 difference **** yeah that's a keeper

My Top 3 EDC

BMCM

Post by BMCM »

Mine was delivered Monday. Very VERY happy with my first Shaman. Action was a little dry and kinda stiff out of the box but a little lube and slight adjustment of the pivot set that right. I see more examples of this design coming my way in the future.

Cheers
Bill
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I hope knifecenter commissions more knives in this configuration
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 7.07.50 PM.jpg
I got mine! :smirk :rofl
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:44 pm

Too funny ! A Blokeness moment ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Almost bought this one as I'm looking for some S90V in a design I like, and I do like the design of my one Shaman. I wound up passing though, because I realized that while I like the Shaman design, mine is just chonky enough that I rarely wind up instinctively grabbing it in the morning, instead usually gravitating to lighter, equally capable designs.

That said, supposedly there is a lighter weight (but not "Lightweight") Shaman in the works, and that might wind up being perfect for me, especially if they offer it in this combo.
deltafastback

Post by deltafastback »

I received mine Monday but was very suprised how slippery the micarta felt in hand. It looks incredible but I'm scared to carry it. Is it normal for Micarta to feel this way? I am new to Knife collecting / Spyderco and this is my 1st micarta knife.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Wow, even the Shaman needs to lose weight? We're neck deep in lightweight models! Not saying that's a bad thing with inflation and all that, but I feel like the lightweight options are plentiful. It's to the point where it's hard to find normal everyday models. On ebay I usually have to skip over 5-10 lightweight versions of a given model to find one G10 version. I want the Tuff back! Or a larger Tusk! Hopefully the lighter weight Shaman loses weight in the blade and not everything else.

Anyway, I'm not even that crazy about the Shaman, but it's still an amazing knife. My burlap s90v was delivered, I'm just in the wrong state currently. I'll have it in a week.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I was tempted but already have a few Shaman including the CF/S90V. I think it looks great and the price is doable.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:44 pm

Are the scales flipped to the other side-(rough side out)....how is it??? Im tempted to do the same because I don't like how slippery mine is.