"As close to perfection as possible" folder from Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: "As close to perfection as possible" folder from Spyderco?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Blerv wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:09 am
elena86 wrote:
It’s a wonderful design Sal but you might want to do something about that Seki backlock. It’s so frustrating when they develop blade play. I owned 3 Caly 3.5 in ZDP and they all came with significant vertical blade play from the factory. I had to sell two of them and only keep one for my collection. Too bad … I understand your loyality for the maker but maybe it’s time to move the Caly family to Taichung or to Golden.
Vertical play is baked in to many lockbacks and seldom (in my experience) gets worse; it’s either subtle or noticeable out of the box. The solution is easy: Make sure the knife is really sharp. Less pressure needed = less play you feel.

Lateral play can be a problem, with pinned construction not much you can do except maybe a prayer and a light hit to the pivot with a hammer.

The real answer to anyone very frustrated with the nuances of lockback is to pick another lock and avoid much of the shopping cart dice-rolling. It’s only mildly irritating to me but I’d rather keep my Persian, Caly’s, and the much anticipated Ayoob. The designs are worth it, IMHO.

I won’t speak for Spyderco but they have kept a lot of small shops fed for decades and maintained those relationships by not swapping production houses on models unless absolutely necessary. It’s also allowed them to do sprints and micro runs of very odd and lovely products without risking as much. Taking it all “in-house” and streamlining it’s model line sounds good in theory but it often creates boring results. Knives like the Caly were designed by and for aficionados. It likely wouldn’t exist at all if if not for these quirky relationships.
I agree with your position and very well said . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Blerv wrote:
elena86 wrote:
It’s a wonderful design Sal but you might want to do something about that Seki backlock. It’s so frustrating when they develop blade play. I owned 3 Caly 3.5 in ZDP and they all came with significant vertical blade play from the factory. I had to sell two of them and only keep one for my collection. Too bad … I understand your loyality for the maker but maybe it’s time to move the Caly family to Taichung or to Golden.
Vertical play is baked in to many lockbacks and seldom (in my experience) gets worse; it’s either subtle or noticeable out of the box. The solution is easy: Make sure the knife is really sharp. Less pressure needed = less play you feel.

Lateral play can be a problem, with pinned construction not much you can do except maybe a prayer and a light hit to the pivot with a hammer.

The real answer to anyone very frustrated with the nuances of lockback is to pick another lock and avoid much of the shopping cart dice-rolling. It’s only mildly irritating to me but I’d rather keep my Persian, Caly’s, and the much anticipated Ayoob. The designs are worth it, IMHO.

I won’t speak for Spyderco but they have kept a lot of small shops fed for decades and maintained those relationships by not swapping production houses on models unless absolutely necessary. It’s also allowed them to do sprints and micro runs of very odd and lovely products without risking as much. Taking it all “in-house” and streamlining it’s model line sounds good in theory but it often creates boring results. Knives like the Caly were designed by and for aficionados. It likely wouldn’t exist at all if if not for these quirky relationships.
Well said but no solution. Keep my knife sharp ?! That’s your suggestion? Give up on Calys, which I love, just because those “small shops” can’t implement an internal stop pin … just to give an example( I don’t even talk about implementing some tight tolerances). We are in the 21 century as far as I remember. It’s not even rocket science ! Oh and let me tell you that I am not talking about “subtle” vertical play, I am talking about annoying lock rock which is unacceptable anyway. It’s interesting but most of my lockback chinese byrds are bank vault. It makes me wonder …
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i agree that there's really no excuse and it shouldn't be acceptable at the prices being asked. there are lots of backlocks out there that don't have play. if the chinese factory can get byrds right at their prices, certainly the japanese factories should be able to get it done.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

The Spyopera gets as close to perfection for me. I’m continually impressed by it. I’d love to see it in more varieties
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:12 pm
Blerv wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Well said but no solution. Keep my knife sharp ?! That’s your suggestion? Give up on Calys, which I love, just because those “small shops” can’t implement an internal stop pin … just to give an example( I don’t even talk about implementing some tight tolerances). We are in the 21 century as far as I remember. It’s not even rocket science ! Oh and let me tell you that I am not talking about “subtle” vertical play, I am talking about annoying lock rock which is unacceptable anyway. It’s interesting but most of my lockback chinese byrds are bank vault. It makes me wonder …
It’s the age of Yelp. Harsh critique is fair. Shifting around business for capable small business making knives? Sorry I’m not in the economics biz or telling Sal how to sublet business, I’m here collecting knives.

None of my Seki knives are that bad. Sorry yours are.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:04 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:59 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:01 pm
ImageImageOld Original Manix and new Siren . Dan
I like it…

I’ve always said the Siren is an awesome knife. Unfortunately I’ve never experienced an original backlock Manix but I really enjoy my Manix 2 XL, so much I bought another one.

Although the new Military with the compression lock may give them all a run for their money.
I wonder if Spyderco is going to make left hand versions.
It would be great to see another lefty in the future Military and must say rather disappointed that the Para3 does not have one in the lineup. The Siren is such a great knife , feels great in hand and in pocket . Dan
You know… it is kinda strange Spyderco doesn’t make a left handed Para 3.

I thought it’s popularity would warrant such a thing.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I asked some time ago if it would ever be considered and got no response and I respect their decisions. I like The Para3 but too small to close in my larger hand as a lefty . I’ll just be happy with the left hand models I have in collection. Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Caly 3 and 3.5 are close, but for me it's still the C90CF Stretch in peelply carbon fiber and ZDP189.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:20 am
The Caly 3 and 3.5 are close, but for me it's still the C90CF Stretch in peelply carbon fiber and ZDP189.
I have one myself and it is one of my all time favorites. I had the SS model first but never could warm up to the Kraton insert. When the CF came out it was perfection . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:12 pm
Blerv wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Having never owned a seki backlock myself that couldn't exhibit a bit of vertical play with enough force, I actually think the issue is less the lock itself, and more the tolerances of construction. Seki body chicago screws always go in a little loose, in my experience disassembling them. The pivot is the same, and especially (and the reason I think these all exhibit "play") the amount of wiggle in the pivot screw through the blade's pivot hole. They are just not tightly fit in the slightest. Maybe the Byrds are better in this regard?

I say this owning two seki backlocks as we speak, but I tolerate it since I don't think the "play" is ever going to make the knife disengage, and its only noticable if I'm really looking for it/pushing hard.

Golden, inversely, has very good tolerances with their body screws/lock fit and I've never owned one that could wiggle.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've still yet to own a Spyderco lockback without some degree of vertical play. Japanese, Chinese and American made models included. Aside from the Chap they seem to all have some degree of play.

I anticipated my first Golden lockback since the C95 quite a bit due to the Golden lockback hype here, but every single Golden lockback I own has vertical play too. Whether classics like my C95, or recent releases like my Chiefs and CQI Siren.

Doesn't bother me though - doesn't affect the function of the tool.
:unicorn
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Got my first Chap yesterday—Sun and Moon. It is utterly beautiful and the best cutter I’ve ever handled. For an EDC knife I think it’s perfect and that includes the scales—I like something with a little bit of character.
cjk

Post by cjk »

The 3 titanium Chaparrals were pretty perfect.
The idea of the Sage 4 (assuming it had the stop pins like a Chaparral) would be pretty perfect.
The LC200n Salt 2 wharncliffe is pretty perfect for its intended role. There's nothing I would change.
The Brouwer is pretty perfect after folks get over the "big clip on a little knife". :winking-tongue
Last edited by cjk on Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjk

Post by cjk »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:29 pm

Manixguy@1994 wrote: I asked some time ago if it would ever be considered and got no response and I respect their decisions. I like The Para3 but too small to close in my larger hand as a lefty . I’ll just be happy with the left hand models I have in collection. Dan
I really dig the Para 3 though I have to guess it's nowhere near as big a seller as the Para Military 2. It's been pretty easy to find various Para 3 models in stock in the last couple years while PM2s were pretty hard to find. PM2 exclusives also seem to often sell out way faster than Para 3 exclusives.

While I am right handed, I've had to learn to do a lot with my left hand due to some issues with my right shoulder. I've taken to closing a compression lock more like a back lock. I operate the lock with my thumb regardless of which hand it's in and the blade falls towards my fingers. The choil then hits me in the index or middle finger depending on how I was holding the knife. This works for either hand pretty well.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

It’s kinda strange spyderco didn’t keep their most balanced utilitarian folding pocket knife design in production..the Caly 3!
:bug-red-white
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

cjk wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:03 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:29 pm

Manixguy@1994 wrote: I asked some time ago if it would ever be considered and got no response and I respect their decisions. I like The Para3 but too small to close in my larger hand as a lefty . I’ll just be happy with the left hand models I have in collection. Dan
I really dig the Para 3 though I have to guess it's nowhere near as big a seller as the Para Military 2. It's been pretty easy to find various Para 3 models in stock in the last couple years while PM2s were pretty hard to find. PM2 exclusives also seem to often sell out way faster than Para 3 exclusives.

While I am right handed, I've had to learn to do a lot with my left hand due to some issues with my right shoulder. I've taken to closing a compression lock more like a back lock. I operate the lock with my thumb regardless of which hand it's in and the blade falls towards my fingers. The choil then hits me in the index or middle finger depending on how I was holding the knife. This works for either hand pretty well.
Weird, that’s the same way my father operates his Para 3. I guess it was just an organic thing for him. I watched review videos so I was predisposed to operating a compression lock as demonstrated, but I don’t think he did. I just think it’s interesting how people figure out different ways of doing the same thing.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Pig Iron

Post by Pig Iron »

The Delica and Endura formats. Blade shape and steel can be chosen for variety and use.
Keljian

Post by Keljian »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:49 am
Dear Keljian:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike

Thankyou for the welcome!

Having used it for about a week and a half, the blade profile with the para 3 reminds me of the pm2, the thin tip is spot on for my use and the thicker belly means that for the “harder” use it is more stable.

I think I have found the right compromise for me.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:39 am
Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:20 am
I have one myself and it is one of my all time favorites. I had the SS model first but never could warm up to the Kraton insert. When the CF came out it was perfection . Dan
That's funny, I had the -exact- same experience!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
vivi

Post by vivi »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:31 pm
I just think it’s interesting how people figure out different ways of doing the same thing.
True. I've seen 7 or 8 ways to close a lockback.
:unicorn