Are We Ready Yet!!?? For A Newer/Better Hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cl1ff

Re: Are We Ready Yet!!?? For A Newer/Better Hawkbill?

Post by Cl1ff »

Oh, this thread just reminded me that I have designs and a cardboard mock-up of a reverse-S knife I made after Sal suggested I send some drawings in because he was interested. 😱
It was a thread from a few months ago. I’m sorry I never got around to it! I need to get on that soon! Hope the interest hasn’t waned.

Seems like the main points of the design, which honestly wouldn’t have been possible without taking pages out of Sal’s book, might fit a lot of the desires brought up in this thread (or maybe not, but I think more of these knives is better regardless).

It’s slightly larger than an Endura. A little bulky in the pocket, but that kinda comes with the territory.

Honestly I have several other reverse-s and hawkbill designs, but they’re not as refined as my “Titanis” model, which is what I’ve come to call it now, after the extinct bird that is the inspiration behind the knife.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:21 am
Oh, this thread just reminded me that I have designs and a cardboard mock-up of a reverse-S knife I made after Sal suggested I send some drawings in because he was interested. 😱
It was a thread from a few months ago. I’m sorry I never got around to it! I need to get on that soon! Hope the interest hasn’t waned.

Seems like the main points of the design, which honestly wouldn’t have been possible without taking pages out of Sal’s book, might fit a lot of the desires brought up in this thread (or maybe not, but I think more of these knives is better regardless).

It’s slightly larger than an Endura. A little bulky in the pocket, but that kinda comes with the territory.

Honestly I have several other reverse-s and hawkbill designs, but they’re not as refined as my “Titanis” model, which is what I’ve come to call it now, after the extinct bird that is the inspiration behind the knife.
Well I'm to the point to where I pretty much regard Spyderco's "Reverse S" blades to be of the Hawkbill family. I'm really to the point to where I want to try out a Matriarch model with a thicker, more rigid blade>> especially when the Matriarch and Civilian models over the years have had broken tips in their current thickness.

I'm even finding my VG-10 Matriarch kind of handy for some garden and landscaping uses. So I'm convinced that "Reverse S" are capable of much more than SD uses.

But at the same time I'll never give up my Spyderhawk and Harpy models I've accrued over the years. All of these Hawkbills are great for several types of pull cutting jobs. And the serrated Hawkbills are like a little saw in many instances.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

In the subject of Hawkbill blades I've been thinking in the past year how cool it would be for Spyderco to create a Hawkbill blade with a Marlinspike which would unfold on the back side. It would be a great way for them to compete in the fishing and seafaring sector.
There are quite a few tools you could put on a Hawkbill folder to make it extremely handy. And if anyone could make it a success it would be Spyderco.
Kale

Post by Kale »

My understanding was that Spyderco is working on a new Spyderhawk, possibly in Magnacut... here's hoping!

I'm interested in this for gardening, so I really want a handle that is NOT green. I would definitely be interested in a larger serrated fixed blade as well.

Sheepsfoot knives also work well for gardening, but they need to have a straight blade that's angled downward (and without a finger choil, which constantly catches vegetation). So basically an atlantic salt without a green handle or finger choil. This configuration works a bit like a hawkbill for pull cuts.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kale wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:47 pm
My understanding was that Spyderco is working on a new Spyderhawk, possibly in Magnacut... here's hoping!

I'm interested in this for gardening, so I really want a handle that is NOT green. I would definitely be interested in a larger serrated fixed blade as well.

Sheepsfoot knives also work well for gardening, but they need to have a straight blade that's angled downward (and without a finger choil, which constantly catches vegetation). So basically an atlantic salt without a green handle or finger choil. This configuration works a bit like a hawkbill for pull cuts.
Totally agree with you on the utility uses of "sheepsfoot" blades. I own at least 6 of Spyderco's great RESCUE type folders. There are also different types of leverage you exert for each type of blade whether it be sheepsfoot, Hawkbill, Reverse S ect.

Maybe a new type of marketing for a new Hawkbill blade would be great if they would just focus on gardening and landscaping uses. I've said in the past if Spyderco would sell their Hawkbill and Sheepsfoot blades in a well known gardening magazine like A. M. Leonard or one of the other well known catalogs they would have trouble keeping them on the shelves.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Matt for bringing up the FRN version, which I feel will be more affordable and versatile. Ergonomically effective with a 4mm blade thickness. Compression Lock. Hawkbill, Reverse S, Wharncliffe, Leaf and hooks.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It’s a shame the Lil Matriach didn’t really catch on. It was an impulse buy and now I wish I had spares.I’m pretty sure Bento Box still has a ton of their PE exclusive…I’ve had that in my shopping cart many times :).

Nice size, stout tip, not quite as “round” when folded compared to some hawkbills making for a comfortable pocket carry.

I had a Superhawk and sold it when finances were very tight. I wish it had been hollow-ground. It just felt a bit thick behind the edge. My gut at least, no measurements were taken.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:51 pm
It’s a shame the Lil Matriach didn’t really catch on. It was an impulse buy and now I wish I had spares.I’m pretty sure Bento Box still has a ton of their PE exclusive…I’ve had that in my shopping cart many times :).

Nice size, stout tip, not quite as “round” when folded compared to some hawkbills making for a comfortable pocket carry.

I had a Superhawk and sold it when finances were very tight. I wish it had been hollow-ground. It just felt a bit thick behind the edge. My gut at least, no measurements were taken.
I never owned one but I did get to handle one about a year ago>> a Lil Matriarch that is. I liked it and I liked it a lot. But heck I like about any Hawkbill or Reverse S blade. So I guess it goes without saying that I am prejudice. But in that conversation I've always wondered why the Dodo model didn't become a permanent fixture like the Delica, Endura and Harpy models did.

The G-10 Harpy is still a near perfect Hawkbill in my book.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Admittedly, I'm generally not a overbuilt folder guy, but I'm genuinely curious why they would go with 4mm thick blade stock. 4mm is thicker than the military. That's downright chonky.

I can understand the idea of a hard use knife, but none of the things I think of as "hard use" seem like they would work well with a hawkbill. Are people looking at chopping wood and prying with them? Batoning? What is the use case that would require a blade thick enough for most fixed blades? I'm probably missing something. Or I guess it could be as simple as some folks likes em thick, which is also perfectly valid. 😁
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Blerv wrote:
It’s a shame the Lil Matriach didn’t really catch on. ........
I don't know if you guys remember but besides the possible FRN Superhawk sal ALSO mentioned possible plans for a Lil Matriarch Salt. Both projects obviously being 2023-2024 should they happen. But if all goes well very exciting things in the future for hawkbill and reverse s fans.
sal wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:20 pm
Hi Matt,

I put in the request....as a Salt.

sal
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Not sure,

The Military is 4mm.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:41 am
Blerv wrote:
I don't know if you guys remember but besides the possible FRN Superhawk sal ALSO mentioned possible plans for a Lil Matriarch Salt. Both projects obviously being 2023-2024 should they happen. But if all goes well very exciting things in the future for hawkbill and reverse s fans.
sal wrote:
Hi Matt,

sal
I missed that the first time but appreciate the news!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:41 am
Blerv wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Matt,

sal
I think the verdict is in on bigger Hawkbill folders. In the past year I've heard many testimonies how good of a gardening and landscaping tool that the full SE Spyderhawk has become for many gardeners and other green thumb type chores.

Most people think that the Spyderhawk was made mainly as a "martial arts/self defense" specialty. And yes you could make a case for that. But personally I've found my Spyderhawk models have been great for the garden and ideal to have when hiking in the woods. It's incredible how well the serrated Spyderhawk goes through all kinds of different vines and woody plants like a laser. There are so many outdoor types jobs where "pull cutting" has a huge advantage.

If avid gardeners were to ever discover how handy and efficient the Spyderhawk model is for those types of jobs Spyderco would have a hard time keeping them on the shelf. Yes even at the price tag they currently sell for. Serious gardeners want really good tools.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With the recent found popularity of the smaller Hawkbill models like the Spyderco Ladybug Hawk and the DragonFly Hawkbill doing so well I certainly welcome any comments on what could be done with the smaller units.

Personally the Hawkbill models in the size range of the Harpy, Merlin, TASMAN are ones that fill my needs better than most. But the Spyderhawk is such a versatile tool that I don't think we've even scratched the surface in that area. Bigger Hawkbills can take on bigger and more demanding jobs. The Spyderhawk is proven to do so well in the Lawn, Garden and Landscaping jobs. And it doesn't stop there.

But again I think the smaller Hawkbills that I opened the post with can do much more than most of us imagined.

And I think the G-10 Harpy needs to be looked at again. And other G-10 handled Hawkbills I think could have great potential.
z1r

Post by z1r »

FWIW, I work in a garden center, part-time. I have found that my Byrd Hawkbill is simply awesome in that environment. The tip is great for opening boxes, the SE does awesome work pruning, and the steel is sufficiently stainless to shrug off corrosion.

That said, I can't wait for whatever FRN Hawkbill or Lil' Matriarch version comes out. Like JD, the smaller knives in the range he mentioned would best suit my needs. I'd love an FRN Harpy, it would be a bit lighter and less slippery than my SS version! Love my Tasman, but sure wouldn't want to garden with it. My Hawkbill excels in that role for a fraction of the cost. Glad to hear that there is interest!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

z1r wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:48 pm
FWIW, I work in a garden center, part-time. I have found that my Byrd Hawkbill is simply awesome in that environment. The tip is great for opening boxes, the SE does awesome work pruning, and the steel is sufficiently stainless to shrug off corrosion.

That said, I can't wait for whatever FRN Hawkbill or Lil' Matriarch version comes out. Like JD, the smaller knives in the range he mentioned would best suit my needs. I'd love an FRN Harpy, it would be a bit lighter and less slippery than my SS version! Love my Tasman, but sure wouldn't want to garden with it. My Hawkbill excels in that role for a fraction of the cost. Glad to hear that there is interest!
Well Brother that is so interesting that you work in a store that sell garden & landscaping tools. I've said so many times in the past that if Spyderco could ink a deal with a mail order company that sells those types of tools. Take the company A. M. Leonard which sells all that high end Swiss made stuff like "FELCO" and Corona made here in the States. I bet if gardeners would ever try out a full SE Spyderhawk either a store like yours or an online outfit like A.M. Leonard would have trouble keeping them in stock.

One might think that a blade worth $80 to $120 or whatever the Spyderhawk model would sell for might be a hard sell in a gardening store or online source. But I'm here to tell you that I know a couple of ladies who are "master gardeners" through a program here in Kansas City that anyone can join. The market is bigger than you think and people that really into gardening and landscaping will pay big money for premium tools for their hobby.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Dunnow if it would be feasible for the MFR's of Byrd to do a fixed Hawkbill, but serrated 8Cr13MoV is wonderful. Might hit an attractive price point for most gardeners depending on whether or not a sheath is included.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:23 pm
Dunnow if it would be feasible for the MFR's of Byrd to do a fixed Hawkbill, but serrated 8Cr13MoV is wonderful. Might hit an attractive price point for most gardeners depending on whether or not a sheath is included.
You're reading my mind. I have suggested a "fixed blade Hawkbill" for quite some time now. And maybe the "Byrd" line might be the best place to launch such an idea. Because you could determine how well they would sell and figure out how many you could sell if you made one in the Spyderco line up.

For gardeners I think a fixed blade or folder either one could do most of what many gardeners are faced with. However there are times I've wished I had something like the Spyderhawk or Superhawk in a fixed blade. I'm thinking maybe the Superhawk design would be great for a "Byrd" version. But for sure we're way overdue for a fixed blade Hawkbill.
z1r

Post by z1r »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:14 pm
z1r wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:48 pm

Well Brother that is so interesting that you work in a store that sell garden & landscaping tools. I've said so many times in the past that if Spyderco could ink a deal with a mail order company that sells those types of tools. Take the company A. M. Leonard which sells all that high end Swiss made stuff like "FELCO" and Corona made here in the States. I bet if gardeners would ever try out a full SE Spyderhawk either a store like yours or an online outfit like A.M. Leonard would have trouble keeping them in stock.

One might think that a blade worth $80 to $120 or whatever the Spyderhawk model would sell for might be a hard sell in a gardening store or online source. But I'm here to tell you that I know a couple of ladies who are "master gardeners" through a program here in Kansas City that anyone can join. The market is bigger than you think and people that really into gardening and landscaping will pay big money for premium tools for their hobby.
I agree, most people aren't as "cheap" as I am, lol. You may be on the right track in that a knife marketed specifically to this crowd would probably gain a lot of traction. When I took this job, I originally bought myself a SE Wharnie Delica for the task but decided I like my Hawkbill better. We occasionally get small trees that blow over when the wind picks up. The Hawkbill has no problem cleanly removing smaller branches that break during the fall.
z1r

Post by z1r »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:23 pm
This too! In a fixed blade, I'd love to see a blade about the size of the one on the Crossbill too. I've noticed that things like pruning shears usually come in various sizes, so too should blades.

I agree, serrated 8Cr13MoV is wonderful. I was initially frustrated that I couldn't get MY knife push cutting sharp like it came from the factory, but then realized that, for my uses, that level wasn't required. Better yet, it is real easy to get "gardening" sharp.