How do I get over my crippling fear of corrosion?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: How do I get over my crippling fear of corrosion?

Post by Ramonade »

I'd say buy a carbon Opinel, treat it like a stainless and see what happens.
They are way less corrosion resistant than Cru-Wear, and it'll show you the extremes of rust prone steels and how to take care of it.
All of this for like 10 bucks ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
vivi

Post by vivi »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:33 am
Ceramic?
DLC?
Magna Cut?
LC200N?
H1?
H2?
Vanax?
Dendritic cobalt?
Yeah I don't really get the appeal with having to do all this maintenance for a little extra edge holding, when there's a wealth of rust proof options. to each their own I guess. for me rust proof > longer edge holding. less time maintaining, more time using.

Opinels are **** to open after they corrode around the pivot and the handles swell with moisture.
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Fireman wrote:
Ceramic?
DLC?
Magna Cut?
LC200N?
H1?
H2?
Vanax?
Dendritic cobalt?
Stellite
Talonite
Nitinol
Titanium
Any non-corrosive metal really
Any synthetic material (plastic/ carbon fiber)
Glass
Rocks
Wood
Bone

Maybe someone will do a lab grown chitin or keratin blade.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:39 am

Maybe someone will do a lab grown keratin blade.
Ewww like a lab grown fingernail?
Lol
🤢
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

SG89 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:44 am
VooDooChild wrote:

Lol
🤢
I mean, if its good enough for a lions claws...
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

A bit of story time here... when I first started really getting into the knife hobby, I was really into the "bushcraft" community where steels like 1095 and O1 were, and still are, held in an almost ultimate regard. I wasn't anywhere nearly as deep down the steel nerd rabbit hole then, and my most carried knife at the time was this Izula in 1095.

What you are looking at is the knife that gave me a strong distaste for non stainless steels for EDC. I carried it basically daily while doing farm work and state park maintenance for a few years, in all weather including rain and heat that made me sweat buckets.

It wasn't so much the surface rust that bothered me, it was edge corrosion. After working a long, hard, soggy day of say 12-16 hours I'd get home in no mood for knife maintenance and basically go to bed as soon as possible. A few days of that and the edge could be fuzzy with rust or even pitted. Then I'd have to get out stones and redo the edge completely. Not to mention that this soft 1095 didn't hold an edge very well in the first place.

Meanwhile I could one of my stainless Spydercos with maybe a quick rinse once in a while there was never any corrosion to worry about. And pretty much any Spydie I had at that time had better edge holding than soft 1095. So eventually I pretty well gave up on non stainless steels for daily carry. I just don't enjoy having to do daily maintenance to keep a knife edge from corroding away, especially when I'm working stretches of long hours in all kinds of conditions. And when I'm out camping, fishing, or backpacking, the last thing I want to do is carry more stuff to try to maintain a knife when I could just carry something that will do what I need and not corrode.

There are some very interesting tool steels out there worth trying! I still definitely play with them from time to time. And many of the higher alloy tool steels are not as super prone to corrosion as say 1095. CPM CruWear and 3V in particular can have plenty of corrosion resistance to make it through most things, although they will corrode eventually.

This is probably why I carry S110V so much now. Excellent edge holding and corrosion resistance. Keeps me quite happy as one who has gone well down the steel nerd path.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
James Y

Post by James Y »

In my pocketknives, I personally prefer good stainless. I had the straight carbon steel Schrade and Camillus pocketknives back in the ‘70s. Once I experienced stainless blades, I switched. But everybody has their preferences, and that’s great. It brings variety.

I’m certain that even if there were some miracle 100% corrosion-proof steel that was super-durable, could take and hold an extremely sharp edge for a very long time, yet be resharpened quickly and easily, there would still be those who would reject it and opt for straight carbon steel blades, and the extra maintenance they require. Many would think that that “miracle steel” was soulless.

Jim
SG89

Post by SG89 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:48 am
SG89 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:44 am
VooDooChild wrote:

Lol
🤢
I mean, if its good enough for a lions claws...
Keratin when thin enough for a blade would probably be pretty chippy…It seems like keratin responds well to work hardening tho and definitely can sharpen easily
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Some non-stainless tool steels can be relatively resistant to corrosion... one of my friends found an original Benchmade 710 (in D2) on the beach (I live on the West Coast) that had presumably been sitting there for a while. And then she kept it unrestored as a beach souvenir for months. It was only after I saw it visiting her place that I asked if I could clean it up & see if there was a recoverable knife under all the rust. And after a little bit of a reprofile, I had it back in working order without too much trouble (even the infamous omega springs didn't need replacing).

My experience restoring that knife helped change my mindset with regards to non-stainless tool steels in pocket knives I carry at work. While I still generally prefer stainless steels for overall ease of maintenance, I now also use K390 & Maxamet knives in my work knife rotation (where they get regularly exposed to water & ice & frost), and while they have patina'ed in quick order, I haven't seen anything corrosion-related that is of any real concern. And all I do is "common sense" maintenance.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:17 am
I'd say buy a carbon Opinel, treat it like a stainless and see what happens.
They are way less corrosion resistant than Cru-Wear, and it'll show you the extremes of rust prone steels and how to take care of it.
All of this for like 10 bucks ^^
This, absolutely. If your reaction to a rusty Opinel is bad, imagine your response to a rusty Spyderco 10, 20 times more costly. As a bonus you also get to explore a true slicey blade geometry!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If you really want crippling corrosion fears, look at any bridge in snow regions or at the frame of any 80,000 lbs semi-truck barreling down the highway at 70 miles an hour.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have had no problems with K390, M4, Rex45, but of course I live in southern Arizona.

The comments made about our boyhood folders made of 1095 are worthy of being pondered.

I have had the same thoughts about those"old timer" knives when the long discussions about the best and strongest lock types erupt. When I was growing up, nobody had a knife that locked open and nobody thought much about it and we used our knives for all kinds of things.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Fireman wrote:
Dendritic cobalt?
that's my favorite weapons set in skyrim!