Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by prndltech »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:29 am
JSumm wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:26 am
prndltech wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:11 am
I’m only in it for that beautiful box. Black, separated from red by a beautiful, sweeping curve that fades from black, to gray, to white and back to gray again and finally embellished with a gold bug on top. Mmmm.
There is something about seeing that box. Just like Pavlov's dog I begin to salivate at its sight. One thing we can agree upon is it is going to be a big box.
The new knife certainly has a big box to fill 😉
Sure does
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sting

Post by Sting »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:29 am
JSumm wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:26 am
prndltech wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:11 am
I’m only in it for that beautiful box. Black, separated from red by a beautiful, sweeping curve that fades from black, to gray, to white and back to gray again and finally embellished with a gold bug on top. Mmmm.
There is something about seeing that box. Just like Pavlov's dog I begin to salivate at its sight. One thing we can agree upon is it is going to be a big box.
The new knife certainly has a big box to fill 😉
Indeed :')
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I think I missed all the fun as usual . I do think LB nailed it but appreciate everyone who has commented . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Sting

Post by Sting »

Any news when this might be available for pre order?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:35 am
- Again: …
- So: …
- Same …
Gernot ole mate, I’d like to think my posts are light hearted, sometimes arguably funny, sometimes sarcastic and often enough facetious.

I couldn’t possibly care less if you or anyone else own or use a Military or any other knife. I couldn’t possibly care less what you or anyone else thinks about any knife’s name, origin or pedigree, why would I?

As I stated in the post you’ve partially quoted, I simply think this thread like other Military threads is hilarious, it’s keeping me fairly entertained and I’m grateful for it.

I’m not too sure you’ve quite worked out but I come here for some light hearted banter and a laugh with likeminded people I consider friends, one and all. I don’t come here to argue.

I should mention also, most importantly I’ve learned plenty in my time here and I continue to learn often enough and for that and the friends I’ve made I’m most grateful. ;)

Hey Alex, sorry for the late reply - I was actually silly enough to be annoyed enough by all this to take a break from the forum (just checked in briefly, but not on this thread anymore till right now).

You are completely right of course, this is "just" about knives and should not get too serious - and if the Millie 2 reminds people more of a Military or more of a "larger PM2" or "PM 4" is of course and as I´ve said already not important at all and completely subjective. Good reasons for both opinions, both are subjective, both are fine and almost everyone here can see and discuss it in this light anyway.
If the Millie 2 for a given person is more a "real Millie" or more a "PM4" might be distributed 50:50, 10:90, 90:10.. and is of no real relevance, this is just an exchange of impressions and opinions.

It is just: I´ve seen too many bad things happen and too many good things NOT happen because of narrow minded and not exactly tolerant attitudes.
And so it tends to trigger me way more than it would be wise when people claim that subjective matters (like the one here) are literally "not a matter of opinion" (unless it is their opinion...) and "not even up to debate" (and this not for the first time).

But all I can do is keep on acting like people here normally almost always do anyway: Comprehend, respect and value differing opinions on subjective matters - and if there´ll ever be an explanation or definition on WHAT it even is that I still "don´t comprehend" I will constructively react to that :smlling-eyes
What I´ll solely keep on not comprehending is the attitude of letting just one opinion count. That´s all.

/ ... and what I´ve certainly learned from YOU and will keep in mind more from now on: A more "light hearted" approach ... It is just Spydies, the most important unimportant things in the world... :grin-smiling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am highly interested to actually get this knife in hand and make up my own mind. Aside from the choil, I think I'm going to like it, personally. The choil I can fix. I can't wait til I can see it for myself. Then, I'll know. It won't matter two hoots and a holler what people say, because I'll have actually held it and used it to form my opinions. This is epic.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Yeah not owning a military, I would love to get both in hand side-by-side. I want one or the other or both.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sting wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:57 pm
This is what I want to know. I'd really like to add a Millie 2 and a Swick to my collection this year!
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:32 am
Bloke wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
- Same …
Gernot ole mate, I’d like to think my posts are light hearted, sometimes arguably funny, sometimes sarcastic and often enough facetious.

I couldn’t possibly care less if you or anyone else own or use a Military or any other knife. I couldn’t possibly care less what you or anyone else thinks about any knife’s name, origin or pedigree, why would I?

As I stated in the post you’ve partially quoted, I simply think this thread like other Military threads is hilarious, it’s keeping me fairly entertained and I’m grateful for it.

I’m not too sure you’ve quite worked out but I come here for some light hearted banter and a laugh with likeminded people I consider friends, one and all. I don’t come here to argue.

I should mention also, most importantly I’ve learned plenty in my time here and I continue to learn often enough and for that and the friends I’ve made I’m most grateful. ;)

Hey Alex, sorry for the late reply - I was actually silly enough to be annoyed enough by all this to take a break from the forum (just checked in briefly, but not on this thread anymore till right now).

You are completely right of course, this is "just" about knives and should not get too serious - and if the Millie 2 reminds people more of a Military or more of a "larger PM2" or "PM 4" is of course and as I´ve said already not important at all and completely subjective. Good reasons for both opinions, both are subjective, both are fine and almost everyone here can see and discuss it in this light anyway.
If the Millie 2 for a given person is more a "real Millie" or more a "PM4" might be distributed 50:50, 10:90, 90:10.. and is of no real relevance, this is just an exchange of impressions and opinions.

It is just: I´ve seen too many bad things happen and too many good things NOT happen because of narrow minded and not exactly tolerant attitudes.
And so it tends to trigger me way more than it would be wise when people claim that subjective matters (like the one here) are literally "not a matter of opinion" (unless it is their opinion...) and "not even up to debate" (and this not for the first time).

But all I can do is keep on acting like people here normally almost always do anyway: Comprehend, respect and value differing opinions on subjective matters - and if there´ll ever be an explanation or definition on WHAT it even is that I still "don´t comprehend" I will constructively react to that :smlling-eyes
What I´ll solely keep on not comprehending is the attitude of letting just one opinion count. That´s all.

/ ... and what I´ve certainly learned from YOU and will keep in mind more from now on: A more "light hearted" approach ... It is just Spydies, the most important unimportant things in the world... :grin-smiling-eyes
I would not feel compelled to respond this one last time if you didn’t keep passively aggressively talking about me but you do, so here goes…

What I was originally talking about is not the same as what you started talking about. Wherein lies the basis of the apparent misunderstanding. You keep responding about something completely different than I’m talking about. That makes it appear as if you misunderstood what I said but it very well could just be intentionally misdirecting.

The Military 2 is, objectively, an evolution of the Military Model. That’s not up for debate that’s just the way it is. The resulting knife can remind you of a giraffe for all I care, that doesn’t change the fact that it is a direct evolution of the Military Model.

Again it doesn’t matter to me what you personally want to call this knife or what it reminds you of. Call it “Bob” for all I care, it doesn’t make a difference to me. This is something we’ve agreed about since the start. Still, that is not and never has been the premise of what I originally said.

Apologies to those not involved wanting to have a productive discussion about this knife. I do not want to contribute anymore than I already have towards this thread getting closed. This is going to have to be my last post pertaining to this petty little quarrel in this thread.
-Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:53 am
Sting wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:57 pm
This is what I want to know. I'd really like to add a Millie 2 and a Swick to my collection this year!
Could just be wishful thinking but I would be surprised if this one is not in the next Reveal Catalog.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:24 am
I am highly interested to actually get this knife in hand and make up my own mind. Aside from the choil, I think I'm going to like it, personally. The choil I can fix. I can't wait til I can see it for myself. Then, I'll know. It won't matter two hoots and a holler what people say, because I'll have actually held it and used it to form my opinions. This is epic.

I'm genuinely curious how you will fix the choil?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:32 am
Bloke wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
- Same …

I would not feel compelled to respond this one last time if you didn’t keep passively aggressively talking about me but you do, so here goes…

What I was originally talking about is not the same as what you started talking about. Wherein lies the basis of the apparent misunderstanding. You keep responding about something completely different than I’m talking about. That makes it appear as if you misunderstood what I said but it very well could just be intentionally misdirecting.

The Military 2 is, objectively, an evolution of the Military Model. That’s not up for debate that’s just the way it is. The resulting knife can remind you of a giraffe for all I care, that doesn’t change the fact that it is a direct evolution of the Military Model.

Again it doesn’t matter to me what you personally want to call this knife or what it reminds you of. Call it “Bob” for all I care, it doesn’t make a difference to me. This is something we’ve agreed about since the start. Still, that is not and never has been the premise of what I originally said.

Apologies to those not involved wanting to have a productive discussion about this knife. I do not want to contribute anymore than I already have towards this thread getting closed. This is going to have to be my last post pertaining to this petty little quarrel in this thread.
Something isn't objective just because you say it is, my friend.

Some could argue it's a devolution. I know people that have issues with comp locks, particularly the weird hand gymnastics you need to perform to 'pinch' the knife between your fingers and close it. Liner locks have a more confident hold when you disengage, all that follows is moving your thumb out of the way.

Some could say it's just a side-grade change and the 2 is just a "second version", not an "upgraded/evolved" version. This is how I personally feel about it, I don't feel like the Military 2 is any worse or better than the 1st model.

I think the problem here started when you immediately started insulting the judgement and sanity of anyone who claimed otherwise.
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:15 pm
If that’s not clear to you… :woozy Like I said, it sounds like denial.

I promise you, the evolution is very clearly from the Military Model. I’m questioning my own sanity wondering how this can even be a debate.
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:54 pm
That’s the thing, I don’t think it’s up for debate or something that’s even open for opinion. It just is what it is. People can call the knife a PM2 if they want, that doesn’t make them any less wrong.
When you're talking about anything in the design world, that is not a measurable, quantifiable set of data (for example, a phone memory upgrade from 128 GB to 500 GB), then it is subjective by definition. There is nothing "measurably better" about the Military 2 that makes it an objective evolution of the first model. If anything there's things you can measure that call it a devolution. Isn't it heavier? Wouldn't the complexity of the comp-lock lead to more QC issues in manufacturing? Who can say.

The point is, there is a debate to be had here, regardless of how much you want to claim there isn't one.

I don't think this was a bigger issue until you made it one with your verbiage above, but I'm glad the thread is finally finding closure around this point.
Last edited by Harkwit on Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Your personal feelings about certain features do no change the origin of the knife, which is clearly the Military Model.
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:16 pm
Your personal feelings about certain features do no change the origin of the knife, which is clearly the Military Model.
They do when you use the word 'evolution'. It is an addition to the Military lineup. That is the only objective point you can make here.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Harkwit, stop stirring the pot :shush
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:19 pm
Harkwit, stop stirring the pot :shush
We're being pretty civil! I'm not insulting or making any inflammatory claims about Mush. I'm sure he's a great guy, this topic just got a bit in the weeds so I'm offering my perspective.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Come on, guys! Let's all gather 'round the fire, whittle some marshmallow sticks with our Militaries and PM 2s, and sing 'Kumbaya'!

🙂

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:21 pm
Come on, guys! Let's all gather 'round the fire, whittle some marshmallow sticks with our Militaries and PM 2s, and sing 'Kumbaya'!

🙂

Jim

That’s plain stupid, Jim!

What we really need is more quoting because everyone likes to read walls of text five, six, ten times over and if we quote enough we’ll go into many more pages so if anyone hasn’t already read this wreck at first glance they’ll thing they’ll be educated by a comprehensive and informative thread.

Anyhow, I’m still waiting on further clarification because everyone should be perfectly clear on what everyone else thinks on such important issues as naming, looks and origin of new knives. :cheap-sunglasses
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I’m pretty drunk but even I’m confused as why this thread is still going
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

😂

Let’s get on to something really important like the screwed stop standoff versus the floating stop pin.