Pakkawood Native 5??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Big John

Pakkawood Native 5??

Post by Big John »

I realize this is a shot in the dark, as I feel there must not be enough interest in the pakkawood scales, but I was wondering if any pakkawood sprint runs or exclusives were in the works. Preferably a Native, or maybe a Shaman?

Who would by a pakkawood Native, in say, MagnaCut?

Is pakkawood unpopular?

Have a good day everyone!
Last edited by Big John on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Re: Pakkawood Native 5??

Post by TomAiello »

I actually really like the pakkawood scales I have on a couple knives (KC exclusives, mostly, but you can also get them for mules).

I'd definitely buy a Pakkawood/Magnacut Native (and even more so a Manix). Not sure about the Shaman--it's a great knife but mine rarely gets any carry time.
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

Knifecenter already did a Rex45 pakkawood shaman, they'd be the ones to do a native. I don't know if there's any interest in it though.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Although the pakkawood looks nice, I find the knives to be unnecessarily heavy. Thus, I'd not be interested.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Would they need liners for Pakkawood? I’d personally love one
Big John

Post by Big John »

z1r wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:25 pm
Although the pakkawood looks nice, I find the knives to be unnecessarily heavy. Thus, I'd not be interested.
Fear not, the Native is a small model.

I'm just a big fan of wooden handles. To me the Native with wooden handles merges several aspects of a knife. Small, relatively lightweight (unless titanium scales), stupendous ergonomics, stout blade (yet small and capable from a performance standpoint), excellent professional looking aesthetics, yet potential for hard use. Yet, if anyone observed it, they'd never know what it was capable of. And with a steel like MagnaCut (or an extremely high wear resistance steel for that matter, considering the geometry), would make a truly iconic and high performance piece for many. One you could take anywhere. The CF S90V Native 5 is held in extremely high regard. What I'm suggesting would possibly out do that model.
Last edited by Big John on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:20 pm
Would they need liners for Pakkawood? I’d personally love one
I imagined it with liners yes.
Skar

Post by Skar »

If KC had more models to that hap 40 pakkawood combo; I would be interested.
Endura pakkawood/hap 40 is one of my favorites.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Big John wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:23 pm
z1r wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:25 pm
Fear not, the Native is a small model.

I'm just a big fan of wooden handles. To me the Native with wooden handles merges several aspects of a knife. Small, relatively lightweight (unless titanium scales), stupendous ergonomics, stout blade (yet small and capable from a performance standpoint), excellent professional looking aesthetics, yet potential for hard use. Yet, if anyone observed it, they'd never know what it was capable of. And with a steel like MagnaCut (or an extremely high wear resistance steel for that matter, considering the geometry), would make a truly iconic and high performance piece for many. One you could take anywhere. The CF S90V Native 5 is held in extremely high regard. What I'm suggesting would possibly out do that model.
The Pakkawood Delica is considerably heavier than the FRN Delica. Not a plus for me. It would be the same for the N5. Just not a plus in my book based on my needs, wants.

I like wood as well, but the full liners add unnecessary weight. Others may feel that the benefits of wood outweigh the added weight.
DukeBrnz

Post by DukeBrnz »

I had a pakkawood df2. The scales constantly broke around the clip area. Pakkawood absolutely needs liners but I don't think I'd ever buy something that brittle again.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

DukeBrnz wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:28 am
I had a pakkawood df2. The scales constantly broke around the clip area. Pakkawood absolutely needs liners but I don't think I'd ever buy something that brittle again.
You mount the wire clip differently than a spoon clip. Since the spoon clip lays on top of the scale, I don't think you would see the same issue on an N5 (or the other Seki models).
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

I'd be in for 1. Throw a uniquish steel on it and more people would grab it up. I have dragonfly, endela, and shaman so far in pakkawood.
Kale

Post by Kale »

I'd be interested. It's surprising there aren't any aftermarket scale options for the Native. Even the lil' Native has a number of nice options (titanium turned it into my favorite edc).
Big John

Post by Big John »

z1r wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:56 am
The Pakkawood Delica is considerably heavier than the FRN Delica. Not a plus for me. It would be the same for the N5. Just not a plus in my book based on my needs, wants.

I like wood as well, but the full liners add unnecessary weight. Others may feel that the benefits of wood outweigh the added weight.
Oh wow, I didn't think people could view a delica as too heavy, unless it was made of pure gold or lead lol. That thought has never occured to me. Now I'm curious as to how many others dislike Pakkawood for its weight in small knives.

I like the small bit of added Weight. If I bought a Rolex and it was as lightweight as plastic, even if it was just as capable, it wouldn't feel right. It would feel cheaper, and feel as if shortcuts were taken in manufacturing. My apologies, as it's hard to describe what I'm trying to say. But a tiny bit of added weight is just one of the many things that sets a high quality piece apart from mass produced Chinese junk.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I know many feel that way, but it’s an old school of thought.
Making products light without compromising on performance is usually quite an expensive feat, both in material cost and engineering efforts.

That said, I love my pakkawood DF2. I carry it clipless, so I’ve not noticed any issue with brittle scales.
I primarily carry it in the winter time when I also wear sturdier and thicker clothes, so that obviously hides the weight to some extent.

I’m not sure I need more pakkawood, while nice there’s a (low) limit to how much I need to be covered, and I certainly don’t need more N5’s, but having options is nice and if the right combo comes along, I might be tempted again some day.
z1r

Post by z1r »

It's not the Pakkawood, but the combination of that and full liners. I don't personally care what people carry but, the majority of the time, I like a lightweight knife in my pocket. I love blued steel and walnut stocked rifles. But I can also appreciate SS and synthetic stocks for their ability to both withstand weather and being lighter weight, depending of course on the action and stock. Both have their places.

I'm snatching up the Magnacut N5 as soon as I can, Pakkawood, naw. But that's the beauty of the world we live in, so many options!
Big John

Post by Big John »

Ok, I feel like I'm getting a better grasp of what the online community values in knives. I also noticed that quite a few people here dislike the Shaman, however it's wildly popular overall and has had so many sprint runs and exclusives, which makes me curious about how a beefier (liners/pakkawood) Native 5 would be received, all in all. It's almost like it would be a smaller and classier Shaman, and I'm sure many people, after getting their first Shaman, realized they might not need that much blade. I'm just speculating obviously. Perhaps some of the general public that don't post online would be fond of it.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I love the heaviness of Pakkawood…that’s probably why the GB1 is my favourite.

Have the Pakkawood Delica and it was one of those WOW moments seeing and feeling it for the first time.

Scratch my head at what the masses have against Pakkawood as don’t mind it and the liners that go with it. Even more strange was the people that had the too light or too dark issues when Knifecenter first released the Delica. (Suppose the same thing happened with the colour of the Micarta on the PM2 crucarta)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Big John

Post by Big John »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:19 am
I love the heaviness of Pakkawood…that’s probably why the GB1 is my favourite.

Have the Pakkawood Delica and it was one of those WOW moments seeing and feeling it for the first time.

Scratch my head at what the masses have against Pakkawood as don’t mind it and the liners that go with it. Even more strange was the people that had the too light or too dark issues when Knifecenter first released the Delica. (Suppose the same thing happened with the colour of the Micarta on the PM2 crucarta)
I fully agree. There have only been a handful of pocketknives I've handled that I would consider "too heavy". This is all new to me.

I'm also not very picky about wood if the finish is good. I made a knife handle for a fixed blade once out of bamboo from 2 $1 backscratchers. Had it not been for a friend that is no longer within reach, I'd show a picture. It turned out great.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Big John wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:41 pm
z1r wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:56 am

Oh wow, I didn't think people could view a delica as too heavy, unless it was made of pure gold or lead lol. That thought has never occured to me. Now I'm curious as to how many others dislike Pakkawood for its weight in small knives.

I like the small bit of added Weight. If I bought a Rolex and it was as lightweight as plastic, even if it was just as capable, it wouldn't feel right. It would feel cheaper, and feel as if shortcuts were taken in manufacturing. My apologies, as it's hard to describe what I'm trying to say. But a tiny bit of added weight is just one of the many things that sets a high quality piece apart from mass produced Chinese junk.
Whether or not a particular model depends on the user and what they value. When I renewed my interest in knives a few years ago I had no interest in something I thought would be heavy for it's size. I never thought I'd want something like a Manix 2 with the full liners that weren't skeletonized. I read online how they were a pocket brick and way too wide, etc. Then a friend sent me one and I realized how wrong I'd been. Yeah it weighed more than other knives I have but it carries fine in the pocket of my blue jeans or cargo shorts. That ended my desire to have only light weight knives.

I have a whole bunch of Delicas including the KC Pakkawood exclusive. I've never thought for a second that it was too heavy. It's probably not a knife I would consider carrying when I'm in lightweight running/basketball shorts or sweat pants but otherwise it's a fine knife for everything else. I'm a fan of the Native 5s too. I'm not really interested in a Pakkawood version but I wouldn't worry about it being too heavy if I was.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!