C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah gas is getting to be a real problem here too. And medical costs are escalating as well. I told my Orthopaedic surgeon the other day that I want to be invited to his kid's graduation ceremony. Lord knows I've paid for most of their expenses in the past 3 to 5 years. I might just as well be married to a "gold-digger".

But what the heck I would rather have one really good blade than to have 20 flea market specials. I can't believe this thread is approaching it's second anniversary :eyes Two years old almost and we don't yet have a 100 pages. But maybe that will change when they finally open the floodgates.

But it's all GOOD boys n girls :cheap-sunglasses We'll forget all about it when they release the new C-60. Then you'll see all those indicators I had listed on page # 84 will commence to take place in a very short time. With the exception of Martha Stewart; she'll be backing out of her wedding with SNOOP DOG :anxious>> gee I wonder what her high society friends think about that one!!! :exploding-head
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:43 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:18 am
Geometry counts so theoretically percentage wise the impact of hollowing a sabre is more significant than a high hollow on a tall full flat IMHO. That's my unmitigated and unsubstantiated guess and I'm sticking to it. :woozy
When you say that "Geometry Counts" I assume that you're basically saying that different grinds for different blade steels would indeed affect the overall performance of the edge itself? Regardless of how good of a sharpening job?
Assuming same steel and same sharpness.....theoretically anyway.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:13 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:43 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:18 am
Geometry counts so theoretically percentage wise the impact of hollowing a sabre is more significant than a high hollow on a tall full flat IMHO. That's my unmitigated and unsubstantiated guess and I'm sticking to it. :woozy
When you say that "Geometry Counts" I assume that you're basically saying that different grinds for different blade steels would indeed affect the overall performance of the edge itself? Regardless of how good of a sharpening job?
Assuming same steel and same sharpness.....theoretically anyway.
OK I sort of get what you're trying to get across. I personally believe that a really good job of sharpening can overcome any disadvantages that a Sabre or Hollow Grind could pose. Because with the great blade geometry and overall knife design of the C-60 model I've always found it to perform incredibly well even with the old VG-10 blade steel. Which isn't even close to being as good of a blade material that Cruwear have proven to be.

My point being that a really premium sharpening job can supersede other features of the blade i.e. design, geometry, material providing that it has a really decent heat treatment.

Whether the Sprint run has a "hollow grind" or a "sabre grind" is going to be irrelevant to me personally because I do believe my sharpening skills I've accrued over the years will render the type of grind on this particular model to be a "moot point".

I truly believe I can get this blade "Straight Razor Sharp" in spite of which grind they use. Especially with the use of Cruwear blade steel.

Even though I don't totally agree with you I still like what you've said because it does force a person take a closer look at the issue of the "grind" on this particular design. It now makes me wonder why Massad Ayoob elected to have a "hollow grind" on the original model to begin with. I have wondered about that over the years. Very interesting point you make however.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Just for fun's sake we're splittin' theoretical hairs here. :winking-tongue Perhaps not clearly denoting what's going on in my head. Let's just say in this unlikely situation that you have the same knife, same steel except that one has a 3/8" sabre grind and the other has a 3/4" sabre grind. Let's say you have two of each. Hollow grind 1 of each up to the shoulder of the sabre grind. All I was trying to get across is that I think that the impact on cutting ability is greater on the 3/8" bevel than it would be on the 3/4" bevel when going from sabre to hollow. Maybe not with shallow cuts, but deep cuts into meat or block cheese, I think it would be noticeable. Perhaps not with most EDC tasks, but I cut a lot of meat.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:16 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:09 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:50 am

you might be able to trade one for a tank of gas. :rofl
Wife’s vehicle fill up today $69.88. Absurd

Don't wanna get off topic too much but this is literally the state of the world right now. Hard to splurge on a knife when it costs me ~$100 to fill up my Ranger.
you're thinking of it all wrong. gas isn't as expensive as knives... knives are as cheap as a tank of gas!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

some people see the tank half full... some half empty...

a $20 bill is the new $5 >:[
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:52 pm
some people see the tank half full... some half empty...

a $20 bill is the new $5 >:[
With everything that is going on with the overall economy at this time?? I'm not even sure it's that good.

I think maybe the $50 bill being the new $10 bill is more accurate. And that might not last long at this rate.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Gentlemen, let’s get back on topic. Besides - no need to drag gasoline prices into this, most vendors offer delivery 😁
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

we're just trying to break 100 pages. 😂
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am sorry, keep moving 😅
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matus wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:43 pm
Gentlemen, let’s get back on topic. Besides - no need to drag gasoline prices into this, most vendors offer delivery 😁
Well I hate to be a "kill-joy" but Brother Matus does make a good point. We really need to keep this thread on TOPIC.

With as broad as this discussion has gotten over the past few weeks it's so easy to get sidetracked and go down rabbit holes or even create new rabbit holes.

Back to the subject of the "blade grind" on the C-60 Sprint Run. Again I don't think it's going to make 15 cents worth of difference concerning which grind they use as good as Cruwear blade steel has proven to be.

Premium, good quality materials will make this C-60 Sprint Run head & shoulders over any previous Sprint Run of this great model irrespective of the blade grind.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It’s easier to do an aftermarket regrind than integrate a 4-way clip and upgrade to a CruWear blade.

Tank half full! Lol (sorry)
WRB

Post by WRB »

It has been my experience that hollow grinds cut better through certain materials. The curve lowers the friction between the blade and what is being cut. Examples being cheese or flexible tubing/rubber and similar materials. Stuff like that. Any sort of flat grind will not cut anywhere near as nice since the blade wants to stick while you're cutting. So it's not about the edge in these cases, it's about reducing friction from the blade.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:56 pm
It’s easier to do an aftermarket regrind than integrate a 4-way clip and upgrade to a CruWear blade.

Are you saying ?? "IF THEY HAD NOT CHANGED THE "GRIND" THEY WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO IMPLEMENT THE 4-Way CLIP?
I'm not sure I understand that one.

Personally I suspect that it had more to do with the properties of the Cruwear blade steel rather than that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:04 am
Blerv wrote:

Are you saying ?? "IF THEY HAD NOT CHANGED THE "GRIND" THEY WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO IMPLEMENT THE 4-Way CLIP?

Personally I suspect that it had more to do with the properties of the Cruwear blade steel rather than that.

I think he's just saying, if you don't like the grind at least it's easier to change than it would be to add the 4 way clip and Cruwear blade yourself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:25 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:04 am
Blerv wrote:

I think he's just saying, if you don't like the grind at least it's easier to change than it would be to add the 4 way clip and Cruwear blade yourself.
OK please forgive me. It's 4 am and I probably shouldn't even be up. bad on me :yawn

But it sure seemed to be convoluted the way I read it.

We need to get this C-60 released on an Emergency basis if nothing else :hot-face
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Working to stay on topic...

This knife is of interest to me because it's definitely weird, and comes in one of my favorite steels. Also a 2 year old thread with nearly 100 pages of comments indicates a passion (hat tip, JD!) that shouldn't be ignored. If I objectively evaluate the design for an EDC ish role, knowing my preferences, it doesn't seem to be ideal. But I have some other knives that didn't seem ideal (eg Hungarian) that I ended up loving!

This will definitely be a game day decision, but if that was today (please?), I'd be in!

:winking-tongue
MNOSD member 0030
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:46 am
Working to stay on topic...

This knife is of interest to me because it's definitely weird, and comes in one of my favorite steels. Also a 2 year old thread with nearly 100 pages of comments indicates a passion (hat tip, JD!) that shouldn't be ignored. If I objectively evaluate the design for an EDC ish role, knowing my preferences, it doesn't seem to be ideal. But I have some other knives that didn't seem ideal (eg Hungarian) that I ended up loving!

This will definitely be a game day decision, but if that was today (please?), I'd be in!

:winking-tongue
That's a great point you bring up "Capt'n" . Because there are so many of Spyderco's knives that tend to look weird and unusual that end up being very ergonomic and user friendly. Take the Dodo for instance. When I bought my first Dodo back in 2003 I mainly wanted it for a novelty collector's piece. Then a good friend mine who used to be over at Bladeforums told me how great of an EDC it was. I didn't believe him until I carried it for an entire week. It was unbelievable how useful that knife turned out to be.

And I've also found the C-60 Ayoob to be so useful and so designed for function a lot more than looks. I've had one of my C-60 models in my user rotation for a few years now. The C-60 Ayoob is truly a book that can't be judged by it's cover.
Monty

Post by Monty »

This thread isn't going to hit 100 pages on it's own.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:52 pm
we're just trying to break 100 pages. 😂
Maybe that's what Mr. Glesser is waiting for. To introduce the C-60 Sprint Run on the day this thread hits 100 pages would be so apropos. Maybe it would even make the evening news.

And to have Massad Ayoob and Sal Glesser interviewed by Tucker Carlson would just be outright cool :smiling-heart-eyes