Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by wrdwrght »

Let’s rescue this thread with…the Pattadese. What?!

The Pattadese will remind us that Sal is way more than whatever we choose to call the Military Model, or (dis)liken it to.

The OCD that makes most of us such devoted fans has, ironically, sucked the oxygen right out of this thread. In doing so, it has, more ironically, disrespected the design-genius that Spyderco gifts to us (even while the company makes money in the process).

Gasping for air? Try a different model, and take a deep, refreshing breath. Sal’s Pattadese will do you good, and maybe bring real insight back to this thread.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

I want to save this thread and revive it a year after the Millie 2 launches and the What's In Your Pocket thread is filled with them

:squinting-tongue
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:22 am
I want to save this thread and revive it a year after the Millie 2 launches and the What's In Your Pocket thread is filled with them

There's no accounting for taste. After all there's a whole slew of people out there carrying Enduras and Pacifics. You just can't reach some people.

🤣
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:37 am
vivi wrote:

There's no accounting for taste. After all there's a whole slew of people out there carrying Enduras and Pacifics. You just can't reach some people.

🤣
They're the best in states with 4" laws like Florida. :winking-tongue
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:37 am
vivi wrote:

🤣
Don’t forget police 4 LW. We like those too.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

nothing like people arguing about arguing for arguments sake.

it seems these kinds of silly and banal disagreements find their way to the forum whenever something intense is happening in the real world. people get all fired about about real issues and then bring that energy here even though they were probably coming here trying to escape it in the first place. then we end up arguing about arguing about the name of a knife like we're on the payroll at spyderco and our future in r&d is at stake. sometimes, we need to just put the internet away for a few beats and go for a walk for some perspective.

at this point, everyone in the argument has lost, regardless of whether there could ever be a winner in this meaningless argument. we should probably just move on and enjoy the anticipation of this knife. i know i might actually be interested in a military finally.

also, this is hilarious...
VooDooChild wrote:
20220628_094238.jpg
After the mating ritual is complete, a 6 month gestation period will begin resulting in a brand new knife, the Military 2, being born into the world.

Unfortunately for the young knife, life will not be easy. Between collectors, youtube reviewers, internet know it alls, and the constant bickering of forum members, it will be scrutinised and held to standards that are not expected of nearly any other knife.

Pair this with the always present and lingering threat of actual users, then the knife is guaranteed to have an extremely difficult upbringing. It will be worked hard, beaten, abused, and critisized.

All of this, however, is necessary for the young knife. For if it can make it through the extreme trials of its youth, it will one day earn the right to compete for leadership of the Spyderco pack. A title fit for a king.

Next time on Planet Knife, The Amazing Aquatic World of the Salt Series.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:53 am
20220628_094238.jpg

After the mating ritual is complete, a 6 month gestation period will begin resulting in a brand new knife, the Military 2, being born into the world.

Unfortunately for the young knife, life will not be easy. Between collectors, youtube reviewers, internet know it alls, and the constant bickering of forum members, it will be scrutinised and held to standards that are not expected of nearly any other knife.

Pair this with the always present and lingering threat of actual users, then the knife is guaranteed to have an extremely difficult upbringing. It will be worked hard, beaten, abused, and critisized.

All of this, however, is necessary for the young knife. For if it can make it through the extreme trials of its youth, it will one day earn the right to compete for leadership of the Spyderco pack. A title fit for a king.

Next time on Planet Knife, The Amazing Aquatic World of the Salt Series.
I automatically read this in a David Attenburrough voice.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

vivi wrote:

I can't wait to post mine, tip down. Bc I'm effin crazy 🤪
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

T-1000 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:52 pm
vivi wrote:

I can't wait to post mine, tip down. Bc I'm effin crazy 🤪

My money says it'll come tip down from the factory.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ladybug, many times the voice of reason!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Threads on the original Military used to be my favourites. Everybody had great input and opinions on how to improve arguably the best large folder on the market, in their opinion, of coarse.

Now I think threads on the new Military will be my favourites. Ah, hahaha!

Mr Glesser, God Bless him, obviously listened to the brilliant ideas and opinions and built the knife the opinionated experts wanted.

Now we have a new knife and even more opinions. Members that don’t own or use a Military have opinions, my personal favourite. Members that own and use a Military have opinions. No one’s even seen the new Military other than in pictures and the opinions keep on coming.

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! What a debacle! :winking-tongue
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:10 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:40 am
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:12 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:46 am

Run out of arguments? My argument hasn’t changed, you’re just unable to properly comprehend the things I say.

ladybug93 wrote: nothing like people arguing about arguing for arguments sake.

at this point, everyone in the argument has lost, regardless of whether there could ever be a winner in this meaningless argument. we should probably just move on and enjoy the anticipation of this knife. i know i might actually be interested in a military finally.

also, this is hilarious...
VooDooChild wrote: .....
At this point I can only assume that perhaps my English is not good enough to make clear what I mean, otherwise I would not know what is so hard to understand here :thinking

One last time: For me there is no argument on the matter itself. I don´t care if I am "winner or loser" here, I actually never do. In this case there CAN`T even be "winner or loser",no "right or wrong" cause the matter is subjective, and I value, respect and understand any other opinion on this as I´ve said like 100 times

It does not even matter a lot to me if this knife feels 1.) closer to a PM4 (so a larger PM2 style knife) or a 2.) a "original" Military.
MY personal opinion (and the opinion David and others share here too), which I share here happens to be 1.)
Would be end of story and just a sidenote...

But this is the I think fourth topic now where a guy tells us that HIS subjective and personal opinion is the only "true" one, and folks who happen to see things differently would live in "denial" or (like framed in other threads) "defy reality" and this gets a bit much. Even more so (not in this, but in other threads) when those differing opinions of others come from real world use and extensive experience, but still his opinion is "the one" period, despite obviously never trying a knife in a certain capacity himself.

All I want and all I am talking about - and I think this IS important and worth going off topic - is that we don´t lose that respecting of other opinions on subjective matters, keep an open mind and the capabilty if being humble and think out of the box sometimes (if everybody had that "I know for sure it has to be XY period" - attitude we´d still think SE is hard to sharpen or only good for fibrous material, or still think backlocks are so awkwardly hard to close one handed and so on)

@Nick: As for "running out of arguments": You actually have no real argument for the only thing this is about: Why your opinion on what the Millie 2 reninds you (and that opinion itself is perfectly fine!) has to be true for everyone, otherwise they are "wrong" and live in "denial"...
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anycal wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:12 am
Harkwit, I don't see it that way. Wart said let's discuss off-line, and then he proceeded to repeat some of what has been said many times over the last few pages. If he was serious about his proposition, he would have contacted Mush privately.
I am not going to lie, I am tired of these same arguments. And for someone as passionate about the Military as Wart is, he doesn't use one, or even own one!? And he compares it to a PM2, another knife doesn't use, or own. I don't get it.
Bloke wrote:
Now we have a new knife and even more opinions. Members that don’t own or use a Military have opinions, my personal favourite. Members that own and use a Military have opinions. No one’s even seen the new Military other than in pictures and the opinions keep on coming.
@ Anycal: I am bit confused how you come to your statement, cause I seem to recall that you asked me just a short time ago if I even had experience with t a Millie.

- Again: One of my main standards here is to always make clear on what experience or not my posts and opinions are based on. I´v even been accused (rightfully so!) of doing this TOO MUCH, since it is one reason for my too-many-words.
I´d never talk about something I have not actually really tried and tested myself without making that clear (like in "I could just handle, but never really try knife xy; "just from what I read"; and so on.

- So: If I had not extensive experience with the Millie, especially in outdoor use, I would say so. Of course I owned and used a Millie a lot, how could I otherwise talk about how great its linerlock works in the outdoors for me for example?!

- Same is true for the PM2 of course. I´ve used and tested mine a lot (it actually was a gift from forum brother Ztax), currently it is lend out to a friend.

/ As for the "pm me IF this is something personal": Nick started to get personal, and not on the matter anymore, not me. So I meant IF he has a "personal problem" with me he should pm me. I don´t have any with him, I think he generally is a nice and clever guy.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Need I say more?
-Nick :bug-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:35 am
- Again: …
- So: …
- Same …
Gernot ole mate, I’d like to think my posts are light hearted, sometimes arguably funny, sometimes sarcastic and often enough facetious.

I couldn’t possibly care less if you or anyone else own or use a Military or any other knife. I couldn’t possibly care less what you or anyone else thinks about any knife’s name, origin or pedigree, why would I?

As I stated in the post you’ve partially quoted, I simply think this thread like other Military threads is hilarious, it’s keeping me fairly entertained and I’m grateful for it.

I’m not too sure you’ve quite worked out but I come here for some light hearted banter and a laugh with likeminded people I consider friends, one and all. I don’t come here to argue.

I should mention also, most importantly I’ve learned plenty in my time here and I continue to learn often enough and for that and the friends I’ve made I’m most grateful. ;)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think in order for it to be American-Made Knife of the Year at Blade Show 2022, it needs to hit the market in 2022. 6 more months to go. I am going to optimistically guess October.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’m only in it for that beautiful box. Black, separated from red by a beautiful, sweeping curve that fades from black, to gray, to white and back to gray again and finally embellished with a gold bug on top. Mmmm.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:11 am
I’m only in it for that beautiful box. Black, separated from red by a beautiful, sweeping curve that fades from black, to gray, to white and back to gray again and finally embellished with a gold bug on top. Mmmm.
There is something about seeing that box. Just like Pavlov's dog I begin to salivate at its sight. One thing we can agree upon is it is going to be a big box.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:26 am
prndltech wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:11 am
There is something about seeing that box. Just like Pavlov's dog I begin to salivate at its sight. One thing we can agree upon is it is going to be a big box.
The new knife certainly has a big box to fill 😉