Chaparral slip-it on its way

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Chaparral slip-it on its way

Post by Doc Dan »

I am happy with the current blade shape of the Chaparral. It is more useful in a pocket knife meant for all around use. What I would like to see is new colors of FRN. We have discussed this in the past.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:58 am
It's still 6 months to a year out.

sal
The way time seems to fly past, it will seem like tomorrow!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think these “departures” are almost necessary.
They allow the original to keep doing its thing and make the concept more accessible.
The frn is less expensive, but you can change the colors all day long (maybe textures too?), bringing that many different handles for those working with less money. Using different blade steels can do the same. A stainless version allows the knife to be used by more people where corrosion is a problem, or can again bring the price down (especially if the blade steel varitaions are kept to the FRN version).
A slip-it makes it more widely legal, so now all the handle materials are accessible to many more people.

The demand may have been more so for the design than handle materials, but it still has the effect of expanding the availability of the Chaparral’s handle variations in the long run.

A larger one does the same because the Chaparral is a small knife that might not be useable for some people, but could be pushing it a little.

I don’t think a wharncliffe version would do much in the way of making the knife more accessible, so I can’t argue that it’s beneficial to the Chaparral’s original goal, but it would be a great knife.
Perhaps a new model can accomplish the ultra thin wharncliffe (maybe something similar to the Spyderco UpTern but In BD1N and g10?)
Last edited by Cl1ff on Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

The biggest criticism of the Chap has always been the thin back lock hurting some peoples thumb when disengaging. The contouring to the newer models certainly helps, but the elimination of the lock altogether makes it about perfect. As much as I enjoy my FRN, I’m certainly in for a slippie — especially in CTS-XHP which has become a personal favorite. I’d love to see more wood option handles like ironwood, cocobolo or a most desired ebony.
cjk

Post by cjk »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:45 pm
The FRN Chappie was a departure, my call, based on requests by our customers for that departure. The pattern is the same, but the departure permits us to offer variations while maintaining the pattern for those wanting a less expensive version, colors and maybe steels. Don't know about blade shapes? Haven't had much in the way of requests for that. The Slipit variation was a request from the Brits, whom like the pattern, but can't legally carry the model in the UK. again, my call. We reserve the right to please r customers even if there are variations from basic projects. Since the design is mine, I can offer these mods and still maintain the integrity of the basic pattern project.

The Shaman is my design and there are 4 variations of the basic pattern in-the-works. The "racing" lighter version, (sucked out the weight and bulk), the Choil-less version and an frn version (less expensive) all of which I felt would serve particular preferences of or customers.

sal
Hi Sal,
I would love to have a plainedge wharncliffe FRN Chaparral. A backlock would be preferred, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a slipit.

All the best,
Christian
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I really like the Chaps as EDC (suitable for the office) gents knife.
A Slipit whould be a good option.

ASF
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I'll start to care once it becomes available at dealers.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'd be delighted to own a no half stop slipjoint Chaparral !

I like half stop on most slipjoint. But owning the S110V UKPK made me understand that I'd prefer not to have one on slipjoint that both have a finger choil and opening hole :winking-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’d buy one, two even if HH drops their exclusive red model.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:45 pm
The FRN Chappie was a departure, my call, based on requests by our customers for that departure. The pattern is the same, but the departure permits us to offer variations while maintaining the pattern for those wanting a less expensive version, colors and maybe steels. Don't know about blade shapes? Haven't had much in the way of requests for that. The Slipit variation was a request from the Brits, whom like the pattern, but can't legally carry the model in the UK. again, my call. We reserve the right to please r customers even if there are variations from basic projects. Since the design is mine, I can offer these mods and still maintain the integrity of the basic pattern project.

The Shaman is my design and there are 4 variations of the basic pattern in-the-works. The "racing" lighter version, (sucked out the weight and bulk), the Choil-less version and an frn version (less expensive) all of which I felt would serve particular preferences of or customers.

sal
What about a handle-forward Chaparral, Sal ? That would be awesome IMO !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red