TiCN/DLC food safety

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

TiCN/DLC food safety

Post by sethwm »

Do folks know if the black coatings are OK for food prep? Thinking of a black bladed salt 2 at a campsite. That sorta thing.
prndltech

Re: TiCN/DLC food safety

Post by prndltech »

Safe? Ok? Scientifically speaking I have no idea. But I’ve eaten food cut with those blades and I turned out just fine!

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im going to say DLC is. That stuff just does not come off. You pretty much have to scratch it with metal or sand it or something.

Ticn, I want to say no.
I was cleaning a new ticn pac salt with a wet paper towel and there was definitely a small amount of the coating that transferred over. As in, the paper towel got a dark color.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:03 pm
Safe? Ok? Scientifically speaking I have no idea. But I’ve eaten food cut with those blades and I turned out just fine!

😅

Jim
Danke

Post by Danke »

I folks are peeing TiCN with paper towels I want some of those.
Mrchunkle

Post by Mrchunkle »

That I could find, there’s no established dangerous level of ingested TiCN. The Ti is pretty inert, and your food and air are largely made of carbon and nitrogen.

The MSDS I found also said no expected side effects to exposure.

Pretty sure you’re good to go
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I absolutely don’t know, and I also don’t know if the exact chemicals and mixtures of a specific process is identical independent of who or where the process is carried out.

For peace of mind I just use uncoated blades for food.
If I only carry a coated blade, that won’t stop me from cutting food, but it’s not something I plan for.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Mrchunkle wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:39 pm
The Ti is pretty inert, and your food and air are largely made of carbon and nitrogen.
This isn't how chemistry works.

For example, carbon and oxygen are great, but bond them together and they kill you.

Edit: one carbon atom and one nitrogen atom will kill you pretty effectively too.
Last edited by Giygas on Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

This is wat i like about this forum. I learned more interesting stuff over the years watching this forum then i did in school. :tonque-out
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm sure according to California they both cause cancer.

I agree I think I'd trust Golden's DLC more than TiNC.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

I've wondered about this as well but then again, we have been eating from telfon coated pans and lead ceramic dishes for years so how much harm is an occasional bit of carbon or ti? 🤣
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I would be more concerned (but still not very) about stuff staying IN the DLC and then getting into the food, rather than the DLC rubbing off. I know from experience that DLC holds lubricants well, and I recently applied Sharpie to a DLC blade and then later gave up trying to remove the remainder after I sharpened it. Just a thought.

Like someone else said, I only use uncoated blades for food prep, but if forced to use an DLC blade, I wouldn't worry about it. I have no idea about TiCN, and don't own any.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been using coated blades to cut up apples etc. for over a decade. Haven't had any issues.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The chemical within the coatings may be individually toxic but not the final hard coating itself. There was a huge lawsuit against DuPont with leakage of perfluorooctanoic acid (AKA PFOA or C-8), used in making Teflon coating, into waters in West Virginia. The lawsuit was showcased in an excellent 2019 movie called “Dark Waters”.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've asked about this long ago, and did a little reading about it as well. What I found out is that TiCN blade coatings are food safe. I didn't look into DLC, because I don't have any.
Danke

Post by Danke »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:32 am
I've been using coated blades to cut up apples etc. for over a decade. Haven't had any issues.
But when did the horns start growing?
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would imagine DLC would be food-safe. I rarely use folders on food, anyway. Though I do so occasionally, including a couple DLC blades. I don't coat my DLC blades with any other protectant, or anything like that, so no other chemicals are there to leech into my apple/fruit.

I'm sure there are lots of fast foods/junk foods that people stuff their faces with all the time that are more harmful to one's health than cutting a fruit with a DLC blade.

Jim
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I am no expert, but why do you think an uncoated blade is better? There can be elements in that blade steel, that itself are not good for you. Why should these elements stay in the uncoatet steel, while cutting food?

Just to be clear, I don't think that cutting food with any coated or uncoated blade is unsafe, just wanted to give another perspective
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Isn't there a bigger risk that you have some residual bacteria on the blade from edc use or just having it in your pocket when cutting up your apple than any coating releasing something?
/ David
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Don't forget the bacteria, that are already in the food. Or on the plate you cut the food. Or on your hand. Cooking usually is not sterile.
But bacteria and poisonous particles are two different things.