Mystery Knife Center exclusive coming 6/23 (S90V/burlap micarta Shaman)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mrj

Re: Mystery Knife Center exclusive coming 6/23 (S90V/burlap micarta Shaman)

Post by Mrj »

Let’s be honest here I bet at least 90% of people that buy these exclusives are people that collect or hardly use them. So I get all steel talk but face it. These are investments for most. The s30v model is more than enough for most users. I have been raging away on a camo para3 s30v for years. Still cuts. Just had to put out my useless 2 cents. Thanks.
MRj “Weak things break!”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mrj wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:13 pm
Let’s be honest here I bet at least 90% of people that buy these exclusives are people that collect or hardly use them. So I get all steel talk but face it. These are investments for most. The s30v model is more than enough for most users. I have been raging away on a camo para3 s30v for years. Still cuts. Just had to put out my useless 2 cents. Thanks.
You aren’t wrong
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I just want to let it be known that i dislike Thursday drops. My BurlCarta Shaman might still show up on Saturday. But most likely it will stall and be here Monday. The least exciting day of the week!

Anyways... Anybody got anything better to nickname this than the BurlCarta Shaman?
•• Beau
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:44 pm
I just want to let it be known that i dislike Thursday drops. My BurlCarta Shaman might still show up on Saturday. But most likely it will stall and be here Monday. The least exciting day of the week!

Anyways... Anybody got anything better to nickname this than the BurlCarta Shaman?
My first Spyderco will be here Monday too. The Crewcarta lolol
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:08 pm
Buddafucco wrote:

Oh i know... I've been following the saga of Jurmuscle's 1st Spyderco fairly closely! I'm excited for you! This is like your 3rd first Spyderco :beaming-face You landed on a good one. Make sure you post pics when you get it!
•• Beau
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

For those who think these should be in a tougher steel because of the blade thickness, I applaud your finances. $238 would be an expensive hard use folder for some. I will continue to choose something in a nice 14C28N, 9CR18MOV, or D2 for 'hard use'. Something in the $50-$75 range. There are several good examples from Spyderco and others. If I have to sharpen it a bit more often, that's fine. If the edge occasionally gets dented, that's OK too. I suppose there is the idea of a folder for bushcraft but I find fixed blades in something like 4V better for that use.

When I purchased this Shaman (my first and likely only) I was actually pleased with the S90V. When a knife starts pushing $250, I'll be looking for edge retention regardless of blade thickness because it's just not going to see any abuse. I'll cut stuff.. but usually not a stack of nylon ties. Mostly easy EDC use as I admire the materials and workmanship as a matter of craft rather than utility. And if it has amazing edge retention on cardboard even if while the geometry isn't optimized for the task, that will work great for my needs.
fixall

Post by fixall »

I guess I shouldn't post the picture of my customized SpydieChef opening up a tin-plate can of beans while camping I suppose, lol.

Any knife of mine that ends up a safe queen gets sold or given away. Collecting non-users just kind of lost it's luster to me when I realized I was storing them in a safe, just to look at them, until I sold them off or died and left my wife/son to deal with them. Other than a select few (mainly traditional and thin bladed, "gentleman's" knives) that I carry on the weekend, or when going somewhere nice... All of my knives see fairly hard use in our warehouse. It doesn't matter if it's my Drunken, Slysz Bowie, CRK Sebenza, Hinderer XM-18, Olamic Busker... They're all going to be worked. Hard.

Those of you that are able to stick a high performance knife into a safe have WAY more willpower than I do, lol.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't really use any of my spyderco knives that hard. i've carried a few of them camping and used some fairly hard, but when i know i'll want to use a knife hard, i typically carry a fixed blade or a cold steel with a triad lock. that said, i carry spydercos 99% of the time and i wouldn't hesitate to use them hard. none of my knives are safe queens and none of them have to look perfect forever if the need for hard use arises while i'm carrying them.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Big John

Post by Big John »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:58 am
This is a little off-topic, but does Spyderco have a regular production knife in S90V? Their website lists several knives that are no longer in production (Drunken, Paysan) and a sprint. It also mentions the fluted CF Native. Is that still in production? All this talk of S90V has me interested.
I'm not sure, but after seeing Larrin's testing that showed S90V to have greater edge retention than s110v, I'm curious about heat treat and wonder about a world where Spyderco used S90V instead of s110v for so many production models. Could S90V be better than s110v? Aside from corrosion resistance and "working edge" retention ("back end" sharpness)??
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:35 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:08 pm
Buddafucco wrote:

Oh i know... I've been following the saga of Jurmuscle's 1st Spyderco fairly closely! I'm excited for you! This is like your 3rd first Spyderco :beaming-face You landed on a good one. Make sure you post pics when you get it!
😂🤣 Yep. And fourth first knife counting the Benchmade.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

fixall wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:01 pm
I guess I shouldn't post the picture of my customized SpydieChef opening up a tin-plate can of beans while camping I suppose, lol.

Any knife of mine that ends up a safe queen gets sold or given away. Collecting non-users just kind of lost it's luster to me when I realized I was storing them in a safe, just to look at them, until I sold them off or died and left my wife/son to deal with them. Other than a select few (mainly traditional and thin bladed, "gentleman's" knives) that I carry on the weekend, or when going somewhere nice... All of my knives see fairly hard use in our warehouse. It doesn't matter if it's my Drunken, Slysz Bowie, CRK Sebenza, Hinderer XM-18, Olamic Busker... They're all going to be worked. Hard.

Those of you that are able to stick a high performance knife into a safe have WAY more willpower than I do, lol.
I feel you, we work in similar environments. I've got knives I use in the warehouse from something on the lower price scale like a Dragonfly, up to my CRK large 31 with inlays at nearly $600. Sometimes I do think it's a little crazy to use something like that when I have all these other options, and even free box cutters to use at work...but I also want to use all these knives, even the expensive ones and particularly those, because I want to see if their really worth the price tag (to me)

The Shaman is a great, powerhouse folder. I really hope to see some feedback on this one over the next few months from people getting down and dirty with it. I personally really like my one sample of S90V that I have in a Military. I've had no issues or worries putting it through any of the typical warehouse tasks.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SixShot666

Post by SixShot666 »

Mines just came in this morning. Can't wait to put one to work and see how the Burlap Micarta patina.
:bug-white-red Over 300 Spyderco :bug-white-red
27---Hinderer XM-18 3.5"
8-----Hinderer XM-24 4"
9-----Hinderer Eklipse 3.5"
6-----Hinderer Maximus Bayonet Grind
3-----CRK Sebenza 21 Large
18---CRK Sebenza 31 Large
1-----CRK Sebenza 31 Large Elforyn Super Tusk Micarta
1-----CRK Inkosi Tanto Large
1-----CRK Inkosi Insingo Large Black Canvas Micarta
2-----CRK Umnumzaan Drop Point & Tanto
26---Spartan Harsey Folders Special Edition
95---Bark River Knives
18---Dawson Knives
69---Microtech Combat Troodon
27---Microtech Ultratech
9-----Microtech Delta Dirac
3-----Microtech Scarab II
65---Others Microtech Knives (Borka SBD & SBK, Stitch, Arbiter, Exocet, Hawk, Socom Elite, Socom Alpha, Socom Bravo)
27---Marfione Custom Knives
12---Kiku Matsuda Custom Knives
5-----CAS Sobral Brothers Custom Knives
8-----Rockstead Knives
Over 400 Benchmade, Cold Steel, Heretic Knives, Pro-Tech, RMJ Tactical, SOG, TOPS, WE Knives, Reate, Kizer, Condor Machetes, & Fox Knives combined.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Got mine this morning. This might be my favorite handle of all time. Beautiful knife.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Did I mention how much I love Thursday drops! Came on Saturday... The best day of the week! :rofl

•• Beau
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Excellent!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

S90V doesn't look that bad compared to other stainless steels. This chart is from Knife Steel Nerds.
Attachments
M398-toughness-chart.jpg
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Mrj wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:13 pm
This is why I buy used ones - no one wants a "used" knife and for someone who's going to be using it, I don't care
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Those are some good looking scales. Haven't owned a shaman since I sold the CruCarta sprint years ago, I think this one is gonna be a definite keeper, gotta wait till next week for mine to get to Hawaii.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Mine came in today too! Beautiful knife. I was hoping for some texture on these scales but alas, they are smooth. Very tight action from factory, just backed off the pivot a tad and were good now. Lil bit of lock stick hopefully will go away.....not too shabby-- 2 shamans in one month! Bhq exclusive and now the knifecenter exclusive!
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Gotta say, wish i got one now. Love those scales. Hopefully Dlt or something will do a run with those scales and cruwear but i doubt it