Any news on more Kapara goodness?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vilePossum

Any news on more Kapara goodness?

Postby vilePossum » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:43 am

Well, with the Kapara being my favourite Spyderco knife (even beats my beloved delica) I am curious whether there are any news about new versions / runs?
Lil Kapara and Kapara Slippy are supposed to be somewhere in the future (I'd love a Magnacut slipjoint Kapara)...
Any news on new variants / sprint runs? S90V maybe?
Does anybody know whether Alistair still makes his standard Kapara? Guess I should ask him myself...

wrdwrght

Re: Any news on more Kapara goodness?

Postby wrdwrght » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:31 am

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.
-Marc (pocketing a Siren today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”

vilePossum

Postby vilePossum » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:49 am

The lack of interest and replies makes me a sad panda...
But then again I guess that kind of reflects the situation of the Kapara... Guess I will have to get an s30v version if it becomes available again and get some rgt scales.

Urkilnmesmalls

Postby Urkilnmesmalls » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:43 am

I am also ready for more Kapara goodness. Magnacut, crucarta, lil kapara, I want all the kaparas except maybe the slipit. I might even get that one though. This is the first knife out of hundreds of various knives over my lifetime where I said to myself I want every variation of this one. I missed the dlt exclusive already and can’t bring myself to pay secondary market prices right now. I am hoping dlt does another run

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:05 am

I´d be so ready for "anything Kapara" if they made one with a linerlock!

Or at least with grippy Micarta scales and a larger comp.lock cut out.
Top three going by pocket-time (update April 22):
- EDC: Manix 2 LW in REX 45 , Endela SE in VG10, stainless steel handle Endura in VG10 (hollow grind)
- Mountains/outdoors: Salt 2 SE in LC200N, Pac.Salt 1 SE in H1, Endura in VG10 (Micarta scales).

JSumm

Postby JSumm » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:13 am

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:05 am
I´d be so ready for "anything Kapara" if they made one with a linerlock!

Or at least with grippy Micarta scales and a larger comp.lock cut out.
Yes and yes. I still absolutely love this model. I just don't unfortunately carry it much. This year, I will probably buy some Micarta scales to try on it. Maybe the pinch to close will not be so bad when the small real estate to grab on is a little grippier. The only reason I have not upgraded the scales yet is those carbon fiber scales maybe be some of the best looking scales Spyderco produces.
- Jeff
Let your feet be warm & dry, and your throats warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
**Current Pocket Hogs** Native Chief S30V, Pacific Salt LC200N, Caly 3.5 ZDP-189/420J2, CRK Inkosi
MNOSD Member #0005

mreagan

Postby mreagan » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:51 am

I'm interested in new models. Besides RGT, are there other scale manufactures for the Kapara, looking for the best option? I might switch out one or both scales for a gripper handle, but **** that CF looks nice.
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, Kapara, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Raven 2

JRinFL

Postby JRinFL » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:55 pm

The CF scales are grippy enough for almost any use outside of the most extreme. You’d think the scales were oiled glass with they way they are described.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill Not every choiless knife needs a choil, not every knife with a choil needs it removed. Not every big knife needs a Lil' companion. Most Nobel Order of the Sock Drawer - Member 0001
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal

JSumm

Postby JSumm » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:10 pm

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:55 pm
The CF scales are grippy enough for almost any use outside of the most extreme. You’d think the scales were oiled glass with they way they are described.
They feel great in hand. The problem arises when closing the knife using a pinch grip on very little real estate. Small area, smooth scales, pinch grip. I've dropped it twice closing. I have however been known to be a klutz at moments.
- Jeff
Let your feet be warm & dry, and your throats warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
**Current Pocket Hogs** Native Chief S30V, Pacific Salt LC200N, Caly 3.5 ZDP-189/420J2, CRK Inkosi
MNOSD Member #0005

Soanso McMasters

Postby Soanso McMasters » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:24 pm

I’d love to have a Kapara with a different lock. Backlock and liner lock are my preferences. Could it even get a backlock?

Cowboyfromhell

Postby Cowboyfromhell » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:30 pm

It needs a cqi. Larger comp lock cut out and blacked out clip. Maybe new steel too.....

JRinFL

Postby JRinFL » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:49 pm

It seems you all have much larger hands than I do because I’m just not having the same issues.

I also use a different closing method than most since I rarely like the whole guillotine aspect of closing a comp lock knife. I hold the knife with its side horizontal to the floor, then release the lock, a little shake to get the blade closing, then I use my thumb to control close the blade. Very little chance of slipping or dropping the knife. YMMV
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill Not every choiless knife needs a choil, not every knife with a choil needs it removed. Not every big knife needs a Lil' companion. Most Nobel Order of the Sock Drawer - Member 0001
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal

Molle Ninja

Postby Molle Ninja » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:06 pm

Hopefully any new versions of the Kapara (and I’ve owned 2) will have the amazing action of the BHQ Sage m4. There has never been a better compression lock.

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:48 am

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:24 pm
I’d love to have a Kapara with a different lock. Backlock and liner lock are my preferences. Could it even get a backlock?

As far as I remember (had a Kapara): I don't think the current blade and a backlock would fit into the handle... blade would have to be narrower or handle wider. Just a guess though.

But for personally a good linerlock would be great on this model anyway
- EDC: Manix 2 LW in REX 45 , Endela SE in VG10, stainless steel handle Endura in VG10 (hollow grind)
- Mountains/outdoors: Salt 2 SE in LC200N, Pac.Salt 1 SE in H1, Endura in VG10 (Micarta scales).

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:52 am

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:49 pm
It seems you all have much larger hands than I do because I’m just not having the same issues.

I also use a different closing method than most since I rarely like the whole guillotine aspect of closing a comp lock knife. I hold the knife with its side horizontal to the floor, then release the lock, a little shake to get the blade closing, then I use my thumb to control close the blade. Very little chance of slipping or dropping the knife. YMMV
Right, I close comp.locks by controlling the blade with the thumb too (no "shaking" the blade though, but thumb in the hole right from the beginning).
But: IF one uses techniques like that anyway: A linerlock works better and safer for that imo.

JRinFL

Postby JRinFL » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:20 am

Well, I’m not the guy to put up a strong defense of the comp lock as it is not my favorite.

SG89

Postby SG89 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:44 am

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:20 am
Well, I’m not the guy to put up a strong defense of the comp lock as it is not my favorite.
Blasphemer!
Spydergirl88

Mushroom

Postby Mushroom » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:22 am

For the OP, the current Kapara will be available again but there’s no knowing when. It’s completely up in the air and they will just start showing up in stock again at random.

There have been rumblings of new Kapara variations, such as those mentioned but that’s about it. I haven’t heard anything about new sprints or exclusives.

———
JRinFL wrote: It seems you all have much larger hands than I do because I’m just not having the same issues.

Yeah same here, I have no problems with the current Kapara. The lock tab is perfectly accessible in my experience and I’ve never encountered an issue. The scales are smooth but the overall ergonomics still provide a very secure grip for me.

One thing though… I’ll just leave this here. :woozy
-Nick :bug-red

vilePossum

Postby vilePossum » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:23 am

Yeah, I know it has not been discontinued yet... So as I said, I'd like to get another one... And I would love to get another version... Oh well... Time will tell...
BTW I like the compression lock and I actually dislike drop shut blades. Maybe because growing up in Germany slip joints were all we were allowed and I was thought to always use two hands to close a knife. (didn't keep us from closing it against our legs etc of course, but you get the point)

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”