Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals

Post by Wartstein »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:42 am
Bemo wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:47 pm
Endela sized Chap? Hmmm…. I’m interested!
So join the quest! :beaming-face

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82492&p=1295580#p1295580

viewtopic.php?t=85342

(To be fair: Sal has talked about a larger LINERLOCK "chappish" (thin) model. This would be great already of course, but I think that the Chap BACKlocl is particularly great (internal stop pin) plus allows the handle to be THAT thin while still having a very solid lockup. And so I'd love to see that lock in a larger Chap too).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Re: Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals

Post by Bolster »

Wow. Chap variants. Wow.

Yet another diabolical plan by the Spyderco bandits to magically suck money from my wallet.

JSumm wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:11 am
Now your idea on the XL or a similar design call it what you want with the same features would be an instant get.

For sure!! Though I suspect an XL Chap is more-or-less a Caly or a Sage, and add slimness.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I'd be all over a Cruwear Chaparral, the tough steel would really shine ground so thin. All the better if it came in a nice shade of blue!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Alex4

Post by Alex4 »

Chaparral frn lightweight: frn backspacer, a larger holes in the liners in a couple of places.

I know this is a bit herecy, but I would dream about chaparral and mini bugout (the only non-spyderco I love) hybrid:
- Bugout handle: i.e. no choil, simple, rectangular form with deeper cutout for index finger (more like sebenza). But with Chaparral thinness, internal liners, frn
- Chaparral/bugout blade: from chap ffg, thin, small thumb stud, no belly, bugout: no choil, so more cutting edge, maybe a bit lower, than chap (like delica, but with lower thumb stud);
- Chaparral lock: with internal stop pin, allowing for a very thin handle;
- Deep carry wire clip

And, of cours, Spyderco quality and f&f
dsm

Post by dsm »

A bit late to the party here, but I’d love to see a Chap in either MagnaCut or K390 (the latter even more). Seems like it’d be a huge seller.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dsm wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:03 am
A bit late to the party here, but I’d love to see a Chap in either MagnaCut or K390 (the latter even more). Seems like it’d be a huge seller.

Weird... this is the fourth thread I started more or less long ago getting resurrected in the last few days...

But, glad you did, and welcome to the forum dsm!

As I explained in my original post: The Chap with its unique qualities (for me just perfect for what a small knife should be, especially the reasonable thin, but still very strong blade) deserves all the variants in the world... ;)

For me it is less about steel though, but more about serrations and blade shape (wharnie... :smirk ).. and of course my perhaps main "project" here, the Chap XL (viewtopic.php?t=85342#p1377379 ; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82492)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sorry Gernot. I awoke it. I wanted to see if there was an update on the Polestar out of Golden. Based on Sal's response, I would say it is still on the table. Not definitive. Definitely not until after the expansion.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:00 am
Sorry Gernot. I awoke it. I wanted to see if there was an update on the Polestar out of Golden. Based on Sal's response, I would say it is still on the table. Not definitive. Definitely not until after the expansion.
Man, it´s cool to see that old threads come to life again!! :smlling-eyes For me their topics are all still very relevant and they are about things I still muse a lot about when "thinking Spydies"! - The "Golden Polestar" and hoping to see how the great Chaparral platform expands are good examples for this
olywa

Post by olywa »

S90 PE in any color FRN works for me. What a pocket laser that would be!
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

k390 wharncliffe LW would be nice. I've been wanting a bigger k390 wharncliffe than my dragonfly but nothing out right now interests me. The chap is my favorite in terms of ergonomics, so I'd love it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vandelay wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:27 pm
k390 wharncliffe LW would be nice. I've been wanting a bigger k390 wharncliffe than my dragonfly but nothing out right now interests me. The chap is my favorite in terms of ergonomics, so I'd love it.

That would be great indeed and perhaps my favorite PE wharnie to get!! For an SE wharnie I´d want them to stick with XHP though or another not to hard (to sharpen) steel.

/ And yes, the ergos are amazing. When using the Chap - and I do also use it "hard" as it easily can take this - I am always amazed how comfortable it still is for how thin it is, but even more so how it locks in hand without any shifting, rolling or whatever.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I'm relatively new to the forum and hadn't seen this thread, so I'm glad it made a comeback!

The Chap is such a great knife, and an awesome idea for a platform. I have it in all of the versions (except for two of the three Ti handles, I only have the Stepped) with Birdeye and Raffir on backorder.

If I was driving the boat I'd go with a CruCarta, MagnaCarta, and then a contoured Ti version like the Native 5 got, in that order.

Truth is, the XHP steel is really perfect for this knife, but I'd buy it in any variation Sal deemed worthy. LW variations in steels like K390 or Spy27 would be easy and an instant buy. Spy27 is amazing and should get more love! Rex45 too!
Brian
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

And Sal, should you happen to read this and feel like giving some insight:

How are things with the serrated Chap you said you´d be testing ? (Back in August 22 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80989&p=1613137#p1613132)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

All this talk makes me want to buy a FRN Chap' again !
Honestly steel and blade shape are already perfect to my eyes. A longer (but not "bigger") and mini versions would be cool :)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m good with any change of steel and scales . Bring it on , nice knife .MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:39 pm
Honestly steel and blade shape are already perfect to my eyes. A longer (but not "bigger") and mini versions would be cool :)

Yeah, that´s the whole point to me!!
- Just LONGER, but not thicker/taller in any way, concerning blade and handle! (So no, the Sage 5 is not a "Chap XL", and not only because of the different lock)
- So it would still offer that extremely nice carry and great "sliciness" of the thin blade (I am generally of the opinion that larger folders profit MORE from thin slicey blades than smaller ones)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:44 pm
Ramonade wrote:

- Just LONGER, but not thicker/taller in any way, concerning blade and handle! (So no, the Sage 5 is not a "Chap XL", and not only because of the different lock)
- So it would still offer that extremely nice carry and great "sliciness" of the thin blade (I am generally of the opinion that larger folders profit MORE from thin slicey blades than smaller ones)
Did you know that Sal designed the Chaparral specifically to be a smaller Sage? Food for thought.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94305#p1694831
sal wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:37 pm
Talkin' Story,

On the Chaparral, the plan was to showcase different handles with a gent's Back-lock. I designed the model to be a smaller Sage … sal
-Nick :bug-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

What they did for the Native Chief is a good translation of what I would love to see in a Chap XL :winking-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

Did you know that Sal designed the Chaparral specifically to be a smaller Sage? Food for thought.

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:37 pm
Talkin' Story,
Interesting, thanks, I did not know this indeed!

- To me there seem to be at least two approaches when Spydercos get a bigger or smaller version:

1.) The "Endura/Delica" approach (which also seems to underlie the "Sage/Chap" approach":
Really making all/ many features smaller or bigger: So different blade and handle thickness, different blade height/width... just the overall shape is the same

2.) The "PM2/Para 3" approach"; Basically "just" making handle and blade shorter, but pretty much keeping other dimensions the same

So what I´d like to see in a Chap XL is actually the second approach, just the other way round as it was with PM2 and Para 3:
Keeping all the nice, thin, narrow Chap components, focus just on making that slicey blade longer - cause this thin blade is pretty unique in ffg for Spyderco (a longer handle is inevitable then anyway)
If a Sage is kind of a Chap XL, then it is an "approach 1" kind of type.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

What they did for the Native Chief is a good translation of what I would love to see in a Chap XL
:winking-tongue

Perfect example! Never had a Chief (but Natives), but I think they pretty much kept "everything the same" (thicknesses, handle tallness...) and "just" stretched the Native 5, right?