crucarta PM2 pivot screw issue - suggestions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

crucarta PM2 pivot screw issue - suggestions?

Post by sethwm »

I love my crucarta PM2 except for one thing that's a show stopper. The pivot screw keeps coming loose and backing out a good couple millimeters. I've tried removing it, using loctite, and reseating it, but it still comes loose. I think part of that is due to the amount of movement in the screw when I open/shut the knife. Over time it works itself loose. See these videos that show the movement of the screw.

https://imgur.com/a/1rKF2OU

I don't see the same movement on my other spydies. Is that normal for PM2s? Is this a warranty issue, or just how it goes? It makes me worried to take it "into the field" because I'm afraid it'll fall out and I won't realize it.
jacala

Re: crucarta PM2 pivot screw issue - suggestions?

Post by jacala »

Not a criticism , but make sure it is very,very clean before applying loctite.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

jacala wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 pm
Not a criticism , but make sure it is very,very clean before applying loctite.
Yeah, totally. I did, but to be fair I'd already had the screw backout and I tightened it quite a few times before I went the loctite route.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Yeah, if loctite isn't solving this I think it's customer service time.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Almost all of my Seki knives have had loose pivots. They seem to get looser the more I use them. So now, one of the first things I do with them is apply some loctite. After I get the action right to my liking, I let the knife sit for 24 hours without touching it so the loctite has time to set up. Seems to work well for me. I have not had that issue with any of the Golden models. If that doesn't work, I'd probably send in to warranty.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems like you have something causing the pivot bushing to turn with the blade, and that shouldn't be happening. The screw goes into the pivot and the blade should be turning freely on the pivot but there's enough friction that the blade is turning the pivot which turns the screw (obvious...just making sure we all see what's happening).

My question is, did you over apply the Loctite? Could there be some inside the pivot/blade?

Also along with having the threads of the screw and bushing clean and dry, you need to give the Loctite time to set up, but I really don't think this is your problem, because of the way the screw is moving with the blade I think the Loctite is doing it's job, it's just being broke loose due to this other issue.

If it were me I'd strip it down and clean the heck out of everything and inspect the pivot and washers and blade tang and make sure they're all super clean. Put the back scale together with the pivot and put the blade on the bushing and see how it turns, and then take the bushing off and put it on the front side scale and do the same.

The good news is, at least this isn't a sprint so if there's something defective you should be able to get a replacement.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Look at the pic attached of Delica pivot and the hole in the liner. Pivot can rotate a healthy 15 degrees inside.

This could be your problem.

The hole for the pivot is too large and it is rotating inside no matter how much you tighten
Attachments
Screenshot_20220503_114527_com.android.gallery3d_edit_274616638959137.jpg
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

After rewatching the video, I was wrong. These other guys are right. I don't think loctite is your problem unless a lot was used and it oozed out and attached itself all over. That pivot should not be turning with the blade. I think D is right. You are going to need to dissasemble to see what is up assuming you are comfortable with that.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

JSumm wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:01 am
After rewatching the video, I was wrong. These other guys are right. I don't think loctite is your problem unless a lot was used and it oozed out and attached itself all over. That pivot should not be turning with the blade. I think D is right. You are going to need to dissasemble to see what is up assuming you are comfortable with that.
I’m comfortable disassembling. I’ll give that a try. I also don’t think this is because of the loctite as this happened a few times _before_ I applied the loctite anyway.

I’ll strip it down this week and see what I see.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I'm going to disassemble and see what I see tonight or this weekend. The pivot screw just worked itself out again. Edit: I'm just gonna talk to the warranty department first.

sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Got it back from warranty. Not sure what they did, but it looks like they tightened the crap out of the screw. The micarta is indented around it, which is fine. Somehow the action is nice and loose. When I tightened the heck out of it before, the action was way stiff. Don’t know what they did differently

Regardless, there’s no screw wiggle now. If it stays this way, then mission accomplished.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

sethwm wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:31 pm
Got it back from warranty. Not sure what they did, but it looks like they tightened the crap out of the screw. The micarta is indented around it, which is fine. Somehow the action is nice and loose. When I tightened the heck out of it before, the action was way stiff. Don’t know what they did differently

Regardless, there’s no screw wiggle now. If it stays this way, then mission accomplished.
Good to hear they fixed you up. :party-face

Keep us posted as to how it holds up with use. :cheap-sunglasses
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Seems to be a lot of issues with that pm2 model. I traded mime off for similar issues along with poor centering, crappy action. Ill take the regular g10 from now on...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Man, sorry to hear that fellas. My Crucarta is the best example of a PM2 I've handled in over 10 years.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:08 am
Man, sorry to hear that fellas. My Crucarta is the best example of a PM2 I've handled in over 10 years.
No issues whatsoever with mine . I’ve had 6 different variations and down to 3 . My Crucarta will be a keeper for me . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I wanna try another PM2 soon. Mine is not getting better after a year, and i want to try Cru-Wear.

I see that it is talked about differently from the other PM2s. I know that the liners, lockbar cutout and some other things are different. Seeing how it is constructed and all, how close is it in feeling and use from the G10 PM2?

Edit : typos !!
Last edited by Ramonade on Mon May 23, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:00 pm
I wanna try another PM2 soon. Mine is not gztting better after a year, and i want to try Cru-Wear.

I see that it is talked about differently from thz other PM2s. I know that the liners, cutout and some other thingq are different. Seeing how it is constructed and all, how close is it in feeling and use from the G10 PM2?
The action is better - smoother. This may vary from knife to knife, but mine has the smoothest action I’ve ever felt in a PM2. Less play in the blade. The Micarta feels a bit lighter than G-10.

Excellent.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Danke

Post by Danke »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:08 am
Ditto
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I would concur with the above. I reach my cur-carta PM2 more often than others. Factory micarta is really nice.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Question, does the pivot only have the one screw, on the non-clip (factory) side? Or is it like the LW where you can adjust each side independently?

Mine has a wee bit of blade play, side to side.