Packing Tape vs Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

Re: Packing Tape vs Blade

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Another trick I have with minimizing tape residue on blades is: you don't actually need to cut the entire length of the tape. If you just get a cut started and then open the box, the tape will easily tear the rest of the way.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

1. Open the boxes with fire.

2. Box cutter. Seriously, a cheap box cutter is a few dollars and razorblades cost like a nickel.

3. Hawkbill or something with a hawkbill point as suggested earlier. I think whats going on is that, like a claw, even if the edge isnt sharp the point is going to rip through once it is "hooked" in.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Been using a ball point pen all my life to puncture the tape to get the tear started. On the rare occasion when someone borrowed my pen and failed to return it, I've used car keys, too. Guess I'm a boring person for not going through a knife ritual. ;)
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

The serrated hawkbill gets my vote on blade shape followed by a serrated wharnie.
James Y

Post by James Y »

These are what I use for especially messy stuff. The smallest one in particular has been used to cut Flex Tape, which is pretty messy stuff to cut. IIRC, that one cost me a whopping $1.98 at the hardware store.

😜

Jim
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For most tape problems simply pushing the adhesive forward the edge with both thumbs until it’s gone works. I’m sure there are better solvents but two thumbs are alway in my EDC kit.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Apparently I'm the only one that doesn't run into this issue.

I slice the tape on a box with the very tip. Doesn't offer enough blade for anything to really stick to it.

When I break down a large box I try to cut around any tape or staples.

If I slice through a taped part while breaking down boxes, I just slice some plain cardboard after and the residue gets rubbed off from the friction.

If there happens to be any residue left I rub it off with my thumb, or if it's really stubborn some hot water from the sink and a paper towel gets it right off.
Last edited by vivi on Thu May 19, 2022 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I use my thumbs as well. It cleans most tape off in my use, but I don't know what adhesive the OP is seeing in their use.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

My primary responsibility at the warehouse I worked in was packaging large platforms for scaffolding. I was taping up boxes almost all day. I would go through about 4-5 rolls of clear packing tape a day. Even box cutters and utility blades would collect little scraps and bits of the tape. The blade is not the problem, it’s the tape.

Also, cardboard itself is glued together so cutting any cardboard means cutting through that adhesive as well. This is why blades sometimes collect that sticky residue after cutting cardboard, even without tape. The glue residue wipes off easily though. As others have suggested with some type of cleaning agent or just rubbing it off with your fingers. Even the friction caused by cutting more cardboard is an effective way to clean it off.
-Nick :bug-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

in a pinch, hand sanitizer on a paper towel will remove tape residue pretty easily.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

It's kinda weird, but the oil on your nose takes tape residue off quite easily...
So it goes.
cjk

Post by cjk »

vivi wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:13 am
If I slice through a taped part while breaking down boxes, I just slice some plain cardboard after and the residue gets rubbed off from the friction.
Totally this. Pull cuts through cardboard with no tape on it using the entire length of the blade if needed removes the vast majority of tape residue. I try to save some "clean" cardboard to cut up last.

I've never found rubbing alcohol to completely remove tape residue. It seems to remove some, but seems to smear a small bit around. The blade always seems spotty afterwards.

I've got a bottle of "goof off" which I use if needed. It takes off pretty much anything.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

WD-40 has been effective for me in removing adhesive residue from stainless steels. Can't speak to how it works on tool steel.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I use denatured alcohol most often. It’s safer than acetone, which actually works a little better. Have also use Avon skin so soft as well to good effect.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Why are you cutting through the tape???????????
Everyone knows that cutting cardboard is much more fun.
Cut through the cardboard box in the longest dimension to maximize your enjoyment.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:09 pm
Another trick I have with minimizing tape residue on blades is: you don't actually need to cut the entire length of the tape. If you just get a cut started and then open the box, the tape will easily tear the rest of the way.
I do the same thing. I pry up the cardboard flap with my fingertips and barely push my knife into the edge of the tape between that flap and the the side of the box. The tape is under tension due to the upward pull, so it instantly pops. I keep pulling up on that same flap and touch the blade to the tape between the two top flaps, which will tear down the length of the box (and the tear will often "turn the corner" on that flap so that it pops completely free). I then lift the last flap and give it a quick touch to cut it. I used to work in a retail store, so I opened dozens of boxes every day like this, typically with a serrated Spyderco Dragonfly. The other advantage of this method is that you can't accidentally cut the contents of the box (which I have seen people do even when using box-cutters).
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 am
It's kinda weird, but the oil on your nose takes tape residue off quite easily...
Yes, was going to post this. Also the oil behind the ears works well.
vivi

Post by vivi »

mineral oil brings it right off too. it was ages ago last time I gunked up a blade so bad to look up solvents, and mineral oil was the first on the list that I had handy.

when opening boxes I use a grip like this to control the depth of the cut, so any residue is on the last half inch of blade and quickly wears off from use:

:unicorn
Shopdoc

Post by Shopdoc »

I’ve used goo gone in the past which works great but my favorite method of removing gunk nowadays is alcohol pads. You can buy a bunch for cheep and always have a few in your wallet.