Finger choil

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Luus

Finger choil

Post by Luus »

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if you use the forward fingerchoil on your para's. I do not use it on the PM2 but do on the para 3. What are the intentions of the design? What are your thoughts?
JSumm

Re: Finger choil

Post by JSumm »

Choked up using the choil definitely gives you better control of the blade for certain cuts. Including the tip. Hard cuts wear you you really bear down I prefer no choil models.

Definitely a preference. My current preference is choil on smaller models. Feels more secure in hand for me. Longer models like the Endura, I have some extra handle at the end so it doesn't feel insecure without the choil. On a model like the Para 3 or Native 5, my hand comes to the end of the handle using the choil. I like the compactness of those models for certain circumstances. I also like the choil on those models because my hand feels locked in and not able to slip off the end of the small handle.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I like finger choils on slippies for safety.
wridziwn

Post by wridziwn »

I prefer them for safety, if the lock fails/accidentally closes then the choil will hit your finger instead of the blade edge.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I sorta have to on a Para 2 because my hand doesn't fit very well behind it. Basically for me it comes down to size...if the handle is big enough to accommodate my hand without a choil, I'd rather not have one and would prefer it was something like a Caribbean, but on everything smaller where the handle isn't big enough for my hand I can live with them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I don't object to the concept, I just find myself preferring knives that don't have/need one. The big, big exception is the Military, an all-time favorite. I think the Stretch 2 XL will fall into that category as well. To answer the OP's question: no, I tend not to use it on the Para 2, and I don't have a Para 3.
chkn

Post by chkn »

While I'm almost certain I've taken advantage of them a handful of times I cannot clearly remember any specific instance of utilizing a choil. I generally prefer knives without them but I don't mind them, especially on Spydercos where I feel like a greater majority of the knives have them, and like others have mentioned the added safety is nice to have.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I like it on small knives also, espcially on the Dragonfly 2. With the 5050 choill and top and bottom gimping and the ergos of the handle, I can really pinch that blade and lock it in my grip and manipulate it easily.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Fine cutting = Choil

Heavy cutting = No choil
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I like how the choil feels while holding a knife but seem to use them more without the choil. I have no idea why.
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

I love the forward choil so much I won't even buy a knife without one.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't have a para 2, but i definitely use it on my manix. even though i have a full grip behind the choil, i prefer to use it because i like the feeling of the jimping and the way the knife fits/locks into my hand in that grip.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
araneae

Post by araneae »

I use both grips, depends on the task and the knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I do enjoy them on small knives, and I do use them on the PM2. Like David, this is largely a consequence of hand size - my hand doesn’t really fit well without the choil.

I was a die-hard choil guy for a long time, but recently have come around to the idea of losing it, especially on larger knives where you might use a hammer or saber grip for heavier cuts.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I still prefer more edge and no choil. I am getting use to a choil on the Para 3 Spy 27, I would not have bought this knife were it not for the steel. I took the small size and choil on as a growth opportunity, learning time. I'm a couple years in now and I like the Para 3, I use the choil, but I have no intentions on buying another choil knife. Unless, Spyderco does a Para 3 in Vanax.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
brj

Post by brj »

billdoier72 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:55 pm
I love the forward choil so much I won't even buy a knife without one.
It's the precise opposite for me.
I strongly dislike the 50/50 choil as implemented on the Para 2/3, Native/Chief, etc I stopped carrying (or sold) those knives and I will no longer buy a Spyderco that has it.
On the other hand, I still enjoy a lot the minimalistic choil of the Military / Para 1 and I can tolerate wider choils with a less pronounced prong, as seen on Kapara, Calypso Jr, Kriss.
All good, just different?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:51 pm
I like how the choil feels while holding a knife but seem to use them more without the choil. I have no idea why.

I end up doing the same in all but the rarest situations where a choil might actually help with control or something. A Shaman feels fantastic to me on the choil but like someone else mentioned recently it can create hot spots when using it that way hard or for extended periods. Then when I'm not using it I don't like how far away the edge is from my hand, further away means less power going into a cut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

What do folks think of the choil as executed on the Manix versus other knives? Just curious; rarely hear anyone talk about that choil. I'm starting to wonder if its the relationship/presence of the thumb ramp and index finger that makes one more comfortable versus the other. Personally I prefer choils. For my medium to small hand it allows my thumb and forefinger to be in a more harmonious alignment than say the handle forward designs like the Alycone/Polestar and Tenacious/Persistance even though I like those designs as well. I need to dig my Rock Jumpers out to test but am guessing the very pronounced thumb ramp on those makes a difference.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bemo wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:52 am
What do folks think of the choil as executed on the Manix versus other knives? Just curious; rarely hear anyone talk about that choil. I'm starting to wonder if its the relationship/presence of the thumb ramp and index finger that makes one more comfortable versus the other. Personally I prefer choils. For my medium to small hand it allows my thumb and forefinger to be in a more harmonious alignment than say the handle forward designs like the Alycone/Polestar and Tenacious/Persistance even though I like those designs as well. I need to dig my Rock Jumpers out to test but am guessing the very pronounced thumb ramp on those makes a difference.
Personally, I love the Manix. I think it feels comfortable using the choil and not using the choil. I really like how it feels not using the choil, but your hand is too far back from the edge. Better feel when not using the choil for harder use, but you don't have as much leverage. Kind of a Catch 22. Now, if there existed a Manix where the edge came back about 80% and the handle went up about 20% to meet together, Oh boy Oh boy!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005