Sharpening horror

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Sharpening horror

Post by Evil D »

I sold a coworker a ZDP Delica once and some time later he asked me to sharpen it after Bass Pro Shop ran it across a bench grinder for what looked like 3 hours. That was the one sharpening job I really felt like I should have charged for.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

It’s good to hear they posted it on a forum and are seeking advice. Sounds like they will learn from it at least.

The thing that really bothers me about this, is the people that offer a service that they have no business offering. The “snake oil salesmen” that are in for a quick buck. But it does make you appreciate people and companies that actually take pride in their work, and CARE about it. Tip of the hat to Sal and team.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:14 am
What did it look like before they sharpened it?
This was my first question too. I mean, why would they remove that much material? That's just extra work and takes extra time. But on the other hand, if he would tell me, that the knife was new, before "sharpening", I would believe him.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I wasn’t given my first knife until I could show proficiency sharpening it as a kid. Once I did a good enough job, I was given the knife. I also then had to sharpen other knives in the house…. Sharpening your knives is just part of taking care of your tools. But there are plenty of folks out there who could break an anvil with a rubber mallet.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I was always worried I'd ruin a knife like what when I was learning to sharpen. Turns out people were using powered equipment. Would take you days of grinding by hand to do that damage
Matus

Post by Matus »

Nah, with 140 diamond plate one can fool up a knife pretty bad in under 30 minutes :)

To the OP - that is not a particularly cheering sight, but I am sorry to say that i have seen MUCH worse (mostly kitchen knives though).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I think, like others, you take it as a learning experience, buy a new knife and learn to sharpen. It's still functional but fugly. Beater knife now
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I think he should frame it with a plaque commemerating the incident and hang it on his living room wall as a constant reminder of what not to do. Of course, we don't know how bad it looked before they attempted sharpening, either.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:20 pm
Saddest thing is the kook that sharpened it prolly reckons he did a good job.
Too true! It could be so much worse. Could you imagine being the sharpener of this knife, and stumbling across this thread after feeling great about the work, though? Hahaha that would be a downer. I’d find a new job after reading these comments XD
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

There's the mini Manix people have been asking about! In all seriousness, it would be a great beater knife now. It's already got a crazy thin geometry. I'd fix it up a bit and have it good to go, I bet it would slice like nobody's business after a little TLC.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 11.11.07 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 11.11.07 AM.jpg (24.77 KiB) Viewed 976 times
"The horror...the horror."
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Crox

Post by Crox »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:49 am
There's the mini Manix people have been asking about! In all seriousness, it would be a great beater knife now. It's already got a crazy thin geometry. I'd fix it up a bit and have it good to go, I bet it would slice like nobody's business after a little TLC.
Yes! Take it back to the same sharpening crew and ask them to work on the handle. Micro Manix custom.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

That's often what happens when people go to supermaket sharpening shops in France. I had to save quite a lot of SAKs, chef's knives and fixed blades.

The sharpening in itself is cheap but it costs half the lifetime of the knife !

I'd try to find someone with a broken handle to reunite a good blade with a good handle. And experiment with what's left of the present blade.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

It's not that they tried to repair a broken tip of this knife by reprofiling the bladeshape?
I just can't believe that someone with experience would do that to a knife. Maybe an apprentice for his first day at work?
I can't see how you can stay in bussiness long of you give this kind of quality? And why anyone would think a travelling sharpening service would do a better job then you or Spyderco?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:19 am

But there are plenty of folks out there who could break an anvil with a rubber mallet.
:rofl So true!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

This is what happens when you view sharpening as a mystical black magic...but Gary has a grinder, some confidence and convinces you knives are just metal.
So it goes.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I know it’s not pretty but it looks like he thinned the edge out and convexed it a bit. It might cut pretty good. Unfortunately he sharpened years off of it and most likely overheated it and ruined the temper.

I would beat the snot out of it. Everybody needs a good beater. Toss it in a tool box, tackle box or glove box. Someday you might be in a situation where any knife is better than no knife.

If it truly won’t perform then keep it for parts.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Well it looks like he is liquidating the knife. Hopefully a lesson learned.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

It will make a good knife to practice sharpening on. Nothing really to lose at this point.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I start by saying that I am not the best sharpener in the world, but with enough time and patience have been able to get my knives shaving sharp. I'm sure I could learn a lot more. That said, even when I was young, I could get my Buck 110 sharp enough using just my whet stone. I personally believe that a responsibility of knife ownership is being able to keep an edge on it, even if it isn't shaving sharp.

Around here, the local Ace Hardwar ran an ad just before thanksgiving offering to sharpen knives. I winced when I read it.