C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:27 pm
I think it is going to be a Japanese steel unless Spyderco is aiming this for a premium market position. Any other steels will drive the price up, as we all know by now due to shipping costs to Japan.
But they have already shown a prototype of the plain edged C-60 Ayoob with a Cruwear blade. Not sure what they are going to use for the serrated version but I suspect it will either be Cruwear or VG-10 depending on their arrangement.

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't do this Sprint Run with Magnacut. But that plain edged unit will be awesome in Cruwear. I can't hardly wait to work with one.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I think Cruwear is going to be an awesome SE steel. Tough, semi-stainless and easier to sharpen.

It has been discussed adnozium about the cost earlier in this thread. No matter the steel it is G10 out of Japan and that makes it pricey. This WILL be a $200+ knife. I do remember something about just the scales being made in the states but I could be wrong.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:14 am
JRinFL wrote:
I think it is going to be a Japanese steel unless Spyderco is aiming this for a premium market position. Any other steels will drive the price up, as we all know by now due to shipping costs to Japan.
But they have already shown a prototype of the plain edged C-60 Ayoob with a Cruwear blade. Not sure what they are going to use for the serrated version but I suspect it will either be Cruwear or VG-10 depending on their arrangement.

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't do this Sprint Run with Magnacut. But that plain edged unit will be awesome in Cruwear. I can't hardly wait to work with one.
I thought that was the Exclusive and not the sprint. Did Sal say he was bringing it back as a regular item again? I thought there was going to be a Sprint and an Exclusive.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:48 am
JD Spydo wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

I thought that was the Exclusive and not the sprint. Did Sal say he was bringing it back as a regular item again? I thought there was going to be a Sprint and an Exclusive.
GPKnives told me this was not their exclusive. When I asked them, they could have been misinformed or intentionally misleading me but that’s what I was told.
-Nick :bug-red
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would naively assume, that if this is an exclusive, then it may be released relatively soon. If this is going to be a sprint, then I guess it will be quite a while before we can buy one.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:15 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:48 am
JD Spydo wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

GPKnives told me this was not their exclusive. When I asked them, they could have been misinformed or intentionally misleading me but that’s what I was told.
Thank you. Well, if this really is the sprint, color me both surprised and delighted.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'd love to see it in the main line up again. It's a beautiful design with many practical purposes. I think this Sprint run is going to sell out in record time.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Matus

Post by Matus »

Could anyone please let me know how thick is the handle of the original Ayoob? I am thinking to make a mockup out of plywood just to get a rough idea how the handle would fit my hand. It won't be perfect, but better then nothing and a sensible check before importing a knife from US and finding out that I am not compatible with it at all ...
benben

Post by benben »

Matus wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:17 am
Could anyone please let me know how thick is the handle of the original Ayoob? I am thinking to make a mockup out of plywood just to get a rough idea how the handle would fit my hand. It won't be perfect, but better then nothing and a sensible check before importing a knife from US and finding out that I am not compatible with it at all ...
Didn't carry it today, I'll measure it when I go home for lunch. But I can tell you...it's thin!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:

It's very thin. I also don't have mine on me at work, but it's probably around the same thickness as a stainless handle Police.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

6636866A-CADC-4014-939B-319977E18EE4.jpeg
9mm, just shy of 3/8”
benben

Post by benben »

9E297434-865E-4C0C-BE29-4F9642FCE6B4.jpeg
A little better shot.
Matus

Post by Matus »

benben wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:32 am
9mm, just shy of 3/8”
Thanks a lot!
benben

Post by benben »

Well, while I’m taking pics…definitely the strangest looking thing in my sock drawer! ;)
0FFD54E3-D573-4697-AA70-7C0DEB744C99.jpeg
Attachments
AA89469E-359A-403E-BBD4-A45D26166394.jpeg
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I must admit, this design has something that new models are missing.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree. It has that unique, daring look of the early Spyderco designs.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

That's pretty thin for its size. I don't have a caliper around but if it's as thin as the G-10 Police 4 K390 I'm a happy man.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I’m guessing the Massad Ayoob Sprint with CruWear & G-10 (steel liners) made in Japan would have a MAP of $275+. Last year’s Viele Phoenix with VG-10 & G-10 (titanium liners) had a MAP of $315 and you can still find them in stock (I’ve seen them as low $250 now). Chinook4 with S30V & G-10 and made in Japan came out in September 2017 with a MAP of $204 (MAP was 40% off MSRP back then).
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:01 pm
I agree. It has that unique, daring look of the early Spyderco designs.
That’s a well-chosen word, Barry.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matus wrote:
I do know that the 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob is just slightly thicker than the original 2002 model. Which was one of the nice selling points that made me like that model even more than I already did. Plus G-10 made for a much better grip/purchase than the original first run Aluminum/almite handle had.

But G-10 is the ideal handle material for a new Ayoob model IMO.. The 2011 Sprint Run was such a great improvement overall in grip, performance and the ability to handle when in wet, demanding conditions. I have no doubt that this newest edition is going to be much better yet for hard user/EDC.