Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Ramonade
Member
Posts: 1539
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:45 pm
Location: France

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Ramonade » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:31 pm

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:12 pm
What percentage of time do you browse the forum on a computer vs phone?
Computer at the end of the day (in France though) : 90% of the time.
:respect Owned :respect : S35VN, S45VN, S30V, S90V, S110V, Rex45, M4, SPY27, MagnaCut, 20CV, M390, K390, ZDP-189, Maxamet, CTS-BD1N, CTS-XHP, SRS13, CPM154, 154CM, LC200N, VG-10, D2, 12C27(+mod), 14C28N, 420HC, Nitrox, Victorinox's steel, 440C(and others), 8cr...., the end ?

Robin
. MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds

benben
Member
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina.

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby benben » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:32 pm

iPad & PC at work 99%, phone 1%.

User avatar
Airlsee
Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Texas

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Airlsee » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm

Man, I just saw that we lost Mel Pardue today as well...a lot of loss in our aging knife community. Hopefully someone puts up a fitting tribute thread.
So it goes.

User avatar
Paraguy
Member
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 am

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Paraguy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:40 pm

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm
Man, I just saw that we lost Mel Pardue today as well...a lot of loss in our aging knife community. Hopefully someone puts up a fitting tribute thread.
Huh. I just saw a Ganzo Griptinian rip-off today.
"Some call me...Tim?"

User avatar
kennethsime
Member
Posts: 3062
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: California

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby kennethsime » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:43 pm

Paraguy wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:40 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm
Man, I just saw that we lost Mel Pardue today as well...a lot of loss in our aging knife community. Hopefully someone puts up a fitting tribute thread.
Huh. I just saw a Ganzo Griptinian rip-off today.
I’d lik pet to meet the… umm… “gentleman,” behind Ganzo and give him a piece of my mind.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.

User avatar
Airlsee
Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Texas

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Airlsee » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:24 pm

Since this would normally be off-topic, but there is no off-topic here.

I've got the Hogue RSK-MK1 G2 (helluva name) and it's a fantastic knife. I saw Mikey & Kenneth's conversation, but didn't weigh in. Anyway, for anyone that knows...What's the difference between the Pardue Griptillian and Ritter Griptillian? If Pardue designed the Griptillian what did Ritter do? Do I have it all wrong? I never cared to look it up, or really understood back in the day...

I know Critter pops in every now and again, but I don't expect him to see this. Perhaps someone can chime in with more knowledge.
So it goes.

SG89
Member
Posts: 9983
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby SG89 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:39 pm

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:24 pm
Since this would normally be off-topic, but there is no off-topic here.

I've got the Hogue RSK-MK1 G2 (helluva name) and it's a fantastic knife. I saw Mikey & Kenneth's conversation, but didn't weigh in. Anyway, for anyone that knows...What's the difference between the Pardue Griptillian and Ritter Griptillian? If Pardue designed the Griptillian what did Ritter do? Do I have it all wrong? I never cared to look it up, or really understood back in the day...

I know Critter pops in every now and again, but I don't expect him to see this. Perhaps someone can chime in with more knowledge.
Did you try posting in here?
viewforum.php?f=5
Spydergirl88

User avatar
Airlsee
Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Texas

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Airlsee » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:47 pm

I didn't want to start a thread. If it needs to be moved or removed that's fine, or if no one knows, or cares to weigh in that would be okay too. I was just curious, but wasn't necessarily looking to start a conversation on it...since Pardue passed it had me thinking about it.
So it goes.

User avatar
kennethsime
Member
Posts: 3062
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: California

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby kennethsime » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:29 pm

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:24 pm
Since this would normally be off-topic, but there is no off-topic here.

I've got the Hogue RSK-MK1 G2 (helluva name) and it's a fantastic knife. I saw Mikey & Kenneth's conversation, but didn't weigh in. Anyway, for anyone that knows...What's the difference between the Pardue Griptillian and Ritter Griptillian? If Pardue designed the Griptillian what did Ritter do? Do I have it all wrong? I never cared to look it up, or really understood back in the day...

I know Critter pops in every now and again, but I don't expect him to see this. Perhaps someone can chime in with more knowledge.
Yea honestly I think it used to be the same knife, but Mr. Ritter had his version to raise money for his group. I think all credit goes to Mel Pardue for the design.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.

User avatar
Airlsee
Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Texas

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Airlsee » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:39 pm

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:29 pm
Yea honestly I think it used to be the same knife, but Mr. Ritter had his version to raise money for his group. I think all credit goes to Mel Pardue for the design.

I agree, from my limited understanding it seems like the Ritter Grip was basically a blade swap, different steel and profile. While Mel Pardue designed the original Griptillian, along with a ton of other models obviously.
So it goes.

User avatar
Ramonade
Member
Posts: 1539
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:45 pm
Location: France

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Ramonade » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:59 am

Did somebody see the upcoming 4V Jester at St Nick's ?
:respect Owned :respect : S35VN, S45VN, S30V, S90V, S110V, Rex45, M4, SPY27, MagnaCut, 20CV, M390, K390, ZDP-189, Maxamet, CTS-BD1N, CTS-XHP, SRS13, CPM154, 154CM, LC200N, VG-10, D2, 12C27(+mod), 14C28N, 420HC, Nitrox, Victorinox's steel, 440C(and others), 8cr...., the end ?

Robin
. MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds

User avatar
Xformer
Member
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Xformer » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:16 am

May Mel Pardue rest in peace. The Griptilian was a legendary design.

It should come with G10 stock, but outside of that it's still a staple of knife design.

User avatar
Paraguy
Member
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 am

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Paraguy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:37 am

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:43 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:40 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm
Man, I just saw that we lost Mel Pardue today as well...a lot of loss in our aging knife community. Hopefully someone puts up a fitting tribute thread.
Huh. I just saw a Ganzo Griptinian rip-off today.
I’d lik pet to meet the… umm… “gentleman,” behind Ganzo and give him a piece of my mind.
I bought two of their knives that vaguely looked like BM 940s as gifts for some youngsters. They were 16 bucks a piece with axis locks and 440c - very good value. But yes the design thievery has to stop. Have you seen their axis lock pm2 or their axis lock RAT 2? I don't know how they get away with it...
"Some call me...Tim?"

User avatar
Spicy Suplex
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:14 am
Location: California

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Spicy Suplex » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:48 am

I've seen their Rat, never the PM2 rip. I'll have to go take a look.

(look taken)

Oh good lord.

User avatar
kennethsime
Member
Posts: 3062
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: California

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby kennethsime » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:45 pm

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:37 am
kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:43 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:40 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm
Man, I just saw that we lost Mel Pardue today as well...a lot of loss in our aging knife community. Hopefully someone puts up a fitting tribute thread.
Huh. I just saw a Ganzo Griptinian rip-off today.
I’d lik pet to meet the… umm… “gentleman,” behind Ganzo and give him a piece of my mind.
I bought two of their knives that vaguely looked like BM 940s as gifts for some youngsters. They were 16 bucks a piece with axis locks and 440c - very good value. But yes the design thievery has to stop. Have you seen their axis lock pm2 or their axis lock RAT 2? I don't know how they get away with it...
Who's to say those knives are 440C?

I get it, the price was cheap, and the knife is probably well-made for the money. But it just feels like a giant f-you to the folks who put in the time and energy to bring the original models to market. I just don't do it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.

User avatar
Airlsee
Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Texas

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Airlsee » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:53 pm

I agree that Ganzo/knockoff budget knives should not be condoned or supported in any form. They are parasites of the knife community.
So it goes.

User avatar
Airlsee
Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Texas

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby Airlsee » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:02 pm

77% PC - 23% Phone
So it goes.

User avatar
cabfrank
Member
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby cabfrank » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:51 am

100% phone.

User avatar
cabfrank
Member
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby cabfrank » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:51 am

Agreed on the points above about Ganzo and the like.

User avatar
kobold
Member
Posts: 1469
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:38 am
Location: The Swamp

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Postby kobold » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:47 am

Laptop only.
Military: S90V, S110V, Fluted Ti. PM2 & P3: Maxamet. N5: Rex45, LC200N SE, Spy27, Fluted Ti, Fluted CF. Native Chief: S90V, Rex45, GB2, SSS: K390.
Chaparral: Raffir Noble, Birdseye Maple. Tasman Salt 2 SE, Caribbean Sheepfoot SE, SpydieChef, Swayback, Manix2 S110V, Sage 1 Maxamet, DF2: Salt SE, K390 Wharnie.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 5-by-5, apollo, Bing [Bot], cholla_remover, Doc Dan, Kevinim82, ncrockclimb, thewoodpecker and 46 guests