Hawkbill utility

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 22037
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:54 pm

For the past 10 years I've used a serrated Spyderco Hawkbill as a companion blade. My favorite Hawkbill blades are Spyderco's Harpy, Spyderhawk along with the TASMAN and Merlin models.

I don't think any company has better Hawkbill blades. The Harpy is one of their oldest models in the line up that is still produced.

It's been kind of amazing to me how the Dragonfly Hawkbill and Ladybug Hawkbills have gained so much popularity. Those smaller models are just too small for what I mainly use a Hawkbill blade for. But if the smaller Hawkbill models work better for some people then more power to them.

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 6263
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby ZrowsN1s » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:57 pm

SE isn't better, it's different. That's true of hawkbills and regular knives. Depends on how you like to make your cuts. In the interview Eric just did he was mentioning there are subtle differences in freshly sharpened plain edges between different steels. In a gross generalization I'd say SE is a more aggressive but rougher cut, and PE a less aggressive but cleaner cut. If I wanted to cut something in half and put it back together so it looked like it hadn't been cut I wouldn't use a serrated knife. If you were splicing reel to reel tape together you'd use a razor blade, not a serrated edge. SE is very very useful and maintains the longest working edge vs. PE. That said I prefer the way PE cuts.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal "Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 5286
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby Bloke » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:15 pm

I carry a SE hB Ladybug everyday in an urban environment and to date it’s never let me down. Maybe I’ve adapted to it but I find it just plain handy.

Recently I’d been running air line with push in fittings which required fixing with cable ties and I forgot my little Bug and only had a Military in my lunch box.

Ever tried cutting cable ties overhead with a plain edge folder? Ah, hahaha! Side cutters were way easier but not as good as the Mighty Little Ladybug.

I’ve been using a PE HB Tasman for several years now as my only fish cleaning knife and ever time I use it I wonder how I ever got by without it. I can’t remember the last time I sharpened it but that was straight off a diamond rod on the SM.

I actually last used the knife to clean the little fish below on Saturday afternoon. The course edge opens bellies like they’re not there and the HB allows me to hook under gill plates and just cut them out. Definitely the very best knife I’ve ever used to clean fish.

Image

Little Dusky Flathead pinned to a 3” Soft Plastic on a 1/4oz jig head.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 5730
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby The Meat man » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:57 pm

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:15 pm
I carry a SE hB Ladybug everyday in an urban environment and to date it’s never let me down. Maybe I’ve adapted to it but I find it just plain handy.

Recently I’d been running air line with push in fittings which required fixing with cable ties and I forgot my little Bug and only had a Military in my lunch box.

Ever tried cutting cable ties overhead with a plain edge folder? Ah, hahaha! Side cutters were way easier but not as good as the Mighty Little Ladybug.

I’ve been using a PE HB Tasman for several years now as my only fish cleaning knife and ever time I use it I wonder how I ever got by without it. I can’t remember the last time I sharpened it but that was straight off a diamond rod on the SM.

I actually last used the knife to clean the little fish below on Saturday afternoon. The course edge opens bellies like they’re not there and the HB allows me to hook under gill plates and just cut them out. Definitely the very best knife I’ve ever used to clean fish.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/85MQRbQN/DF7-FAE28 ... -C4736.jpg[/img

Little Dusky Flathead pinned to a 3” Soft Plastic on a 1/4oz jig head.
Well Bloke, hope you're happy - you just sold another LB Hawkbill! :eye-roll ;) It's supposed to arrive this Saturday. I'm thinking it'll pair nicely with my Shirogorov F95 in Vanax.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

olywa
Member
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Wetter WA

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby olywa » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:16 pm

Bloke - just wondering if you've tried to fillet with that knife. If so, you gotta let me see your technique.

But really, most of the fish I catch I just gut, gill and head 'em. I bet that Tasman PE does excel at that. Now I really do have to order one.

olywa
Member
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Wetter WA

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby olywa » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:53 am

Appreciate the tip on the Byrd Hawkbill guys. Unfortunately, I have employed my strongest google-fu and still can't locate one at any reputable shop on the interwebs. I was impressed by the reviews and the price though.

James Y
Member
Posts: 5057
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby James Y » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:58 am

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:15 pm
I carry a SE hB Ladybug everyday in an urban environment and to date it’s never let me down. Maybe I’ve adapted to it but I find it just plain handy.

Recently I’d been running air line with push in fittings which required fixing with cable ties and I forgot my little Bug and only had a Military in my lunch box.

Ever tried cutting cable ties overhead with a plain edge folder? Ah, hahaha! Side cutters were way easier but not as good as the Mighty Little Ladybug.

Bloke,

About 13 months ago, I purchased a SE Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, mainly due to your posts about this model. IMO, it takes the best advantage of a knife that size. It makes an ideal backup knife to whatever knife is my main carry.

Thanks!

Jim

max808
Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:26 am

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby max808 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:43 pm

Most excellent thread this...
:respect :bug-white-red :usflag :bug-white-red :respect
mens sana in corpore sano

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 6263
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby ZrowsN1s » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:59 am

If I remember right a while back I talked Alex into getting a hawkbill dragonfly, and much to my chagrin he still prefers the hawkbill ladybug.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal "Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal

James Y
Member
Posts: 5057
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby James Y » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:38 am

One of the great things about the SE Ladybug Hawkbill Salt is that it can be used almost without detection. For example, if in “polite” company, I can open a box or package with my index finger draped over the back of the blade, which hides the knife and almost gives the illusion I’m cutting with the tip of my finger.

Jim

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 5286
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby Bloke » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:41 pm

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:57 pm
Bloke wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:15 pm
I carry a SE hB Ladybug everyday in an urban environment and to date it’s never let me down. Maybe I’ve adapted to it but I find it just plain handy.

Recently I’d been running air line with push in fittings which required fixing with cable ties and I forgot my little Bug and only had a Military in my lunch box.

Ever tried cutting cable ties overhead with a plain edge folder? Ah, hahaha! Side cutters were way easier but not as good as the Mighty Little Ladybug.

I’ve been using a PE HB Tasman for several years now as my only fish cleaning knife and ever time I use it I wonder how I ever got by without it. I can’t remember the last time I sharpened it but that was straight off a diamond rod on the SM.

I actually last used the knife to clean the little fish below on Saturday afternoon. The course edge opens bellies like they’re not there and the HB allows me to hook under gill plates and just cut them out. Definitely the very best knife I’ve ever used to clean fish.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/85MQRbQN/DF7-FAE28 ... -C4736.jpg[/img

Little Dusky Flathead pinned to a 3” Soft Plastic on a 1/4oz jig head.
Well Bloke, hope you're happy - you just sold another LB Hawkbill! :eye-roll ;) It's supposed to arrive this Saturday. I'm thinking it'll pair nicely with my Shirogorov F95 in Vanax.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 5286
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby Bloke » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:28 pm

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:59 am
If I remember right a while back I talked Alex into getting a hawkbill dragonfly, and much to my chagrin he still prefers the hawkbill ladybug.
Hey Matt, you didn’t indeed mate. It’s another great knife and I’m grateful I took your advice.

It’s just that the Ladybug is smaller and less conspicuous is all.

As it goes, a couple of months back our son and his family moved to live in Nicaragua, yes Nicaragua. The Covid BS gave them only a small window to leave the country without vaccination and I didn’t have time to buy them anything.

He wants to take up fishing too over there so I gave him my Dragonfly SE HB, to clean fish and I hope Gringo doesn’t read this but I gave him my Waterway as well to fillet with and a couple of grand to buy himself some decent fishing gear.

Hopefully he does use them and appreciates their value. I’ll visit before too long I hope, and if they’re sitting idle collecting dust, I’ll take them back. Ah, hahaha!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 5286
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby Bloke » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:42 pm

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:57 pm
Well Bloke, hope you're happy - you just sold another LB Hawkbill! :eye-roll ;)
Ah, hahaha! You won’t regret it, Connor.
Thank me after you’ve had it for fifteen minutes. Ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue
olywa wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:16 pm
Bloke - just wondering if you've tried to fillet with that knife. If so, you gotta let me see your technique.

But really, most of the fish I catch I just gut, gill and head 'em. I bet that Tasman PE does excel at that. Now I really do have to order one.
Hi olywa, I haven’t actually filleted a fish with any hawksbill knife but next fish I jag, I’ll give it a go for you and report back. Hopefully I’ll go out this arvo.

Either ways. You won’t go wrong with any HB Salt knife Spyderco make. :smlling-eyes
James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:58 am
Bloke,

About 13 months ago, I purchased a SE Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, mainly due to your posts about this model. IMO, it takes the best advantage of a knife that size. It makes an ideal backup knife to whatever knife is my main carry.

Thanks!

Jim
Definitely, Jim! Just plain handy and capable way beyond its diminutive size. :cheap-sunglasses
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:59 am
If I remember right a while back I talked Alex into getting a hawkbill dragonfly, and much to my chagrin he still prefers the hawkbill ladybug.
Hi Matt, you certainly did mate and I’m grateful for it. :cheap-sunglasses

The Dragonfly SE HB is yet another excellent knife and I very much like it. It’s just that the little Ladybug is so in conspicuous as Jim states in his last post.

Either ways how could anyone go wrong with any of the SE or PE HB Salt knives?

P.S. Apologies for the late reply fellas. I’d been down the coast to see a mates new Stock Horse, help mark calves, play cowboy in general and drink copious amounts of alcohol. :nauseated
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 6263
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby ZrowsN1s » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:47 pm

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:28 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:59 am
If I remember right a while back I talked Alex into getting a hawkbill dragonfly, and much to my chagrin he still prefers the hawkbill ladybug.
Hey Matt, you didn’t indeed mate. It’s another great knife and I’m grateful I took your advice.

It’s just that the Ladybug is smaller and less conspicuous is all.

As it goes, a couple of months back our son and his family moved to live in Nicaragua, yes Nicaragua. The Covid BS gave them only a small window to leave the country without vaccination and I didn’t have time to buy them anything.

He wants to take up fishing too over there so I gave him my Dragonfly SE HB, to clean fish and I hope Gringo doesn’t read this but I gave him my Waterway as well to fillet with and a couple of grand to buy himself some decent fishing gear.

Hopefully he does use them and appreciates their value. I’ll visit before too long I hope, and if they’re sitting idle collecting dust, I’ll take them back. Ah, hahaha!
that's good of you. I hope he does appreciate it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal "Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 5730
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby The Meat man » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:36 pm

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:42 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:57 pm
Well Bloke, hope you're happy - you just sold another LB Hawkbill! :eye-roll ;)
Ah, hahaha! You won’t regret it, Connor.
Thank me after you’ve had it for fifteen minutes. Ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue
Well I've used it for a few things so far, and it's worked fine. I just need to find me a 5 gallon bucket, now... :winking-tongue
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 5286
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby Bloke » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 pm

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:36 pm
Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:42 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:57 pm
Well Bloke, hope you're happy - you just sold another LB Hawkbill! :eye-roll ;)
Ah, hahaha! You won’t regret it, Connor.
Thank me after you’ve had it for fifteen minutes. Ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue
Well I've used it for a few things so far, and it's worked fine. I just need to find me a 5 gallon bucket, now... :winking-tongue
The little knife will laugh at a 5 gallon bucket. See if you can’t find a 44 gallon drum. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 5730
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby The Meat man » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:39 pm

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:42 pm
play cowboy in general
Image

:winking-tongue
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

olywa
Member
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Wetter WA

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby olywa » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:23 pm

I've got the little Ladybug HB and plan on getting the Dragonfly 2 HB next. I'll work my way up to the Tasman eventually. Having some difficulty locating the newest iteration of the Dragonfly with the all black hardware.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 5286
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby Bloke » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:01 am

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:39 pm
Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:42 pm
play cowboy in general
:winking-tongue
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha. ah, hahaha!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
bbturbodad
Member
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:18 am

Re: Hawkbill utility

Postby bbturbodad » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:12 pm

olywa wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:31 pm
That being said, I want to explore Hawkbills further and I'm thinking of picking up a Tasman Salt PE and putting a coarse edge on it. I would prefer that to using and maintaining a serrated edge. I have absolutely no need for it in a defensive capacity so I'm wondering about other's experience using one of these for EDC general use, if there is indeed a case to be made. Tell me what I've been missing and why I should just go ahead and pull the trigger.
I personally find hawkbills too extreme for EDC general use carry, but I love reverse S blades for EDC and utility use. I think it's worth considering the Lil Matriarch over the Tasman Salt which feels like I'm carrying a small sickle to me for an EDC knife. The Lil Matriarch gives you a mild hawkbill in the front which is nice for utility and has the benefit of some belly for push cutting.
Image

The plain edge is still available at http://bentoboxshop.com/
-Turbo


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cabfrank, Capt'n Boatsalot, Google [Bot], JD Spydo and 43 guests