4V Native Chief - Impressions, reviews, etc.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Re: 4V Native Chief - Impressions, reviews, etc.

Postby JMM » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:36 pm

I received the newest family member yesterday and it's absolutely on point! The fit, finish, the edge was hair popin' with a quick stropping and under a loupe it's got a better than most factory edge.

I plan on a cardboard box blowout this weekend and want to see how the factory edge holds up before I do any sharpening or reprofiling... the G10 looks like my other examples but is definitely 'grippier' than any other example I have.

I'm fairly certain at this point that my Chief pocket-time is going to be ~95% 4V, S90V, Rex45 and 5% everything else.

:winking-tongue

vivi

Postby vivi » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:47 pm

very nice collection. I've been carrying the m4 satin a lot this year trying to get a good patina forming before the warm weather comes back in a couple of weeks.

Hoping they make a salt batch some day for summer carry. I love the Pacific Salt but aside from it being lighter and rust proof, I like the Chief design so much more. It feels so natural in my hands.
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!
- Current top 3 Spydies
- Siren - Pacific Salt - Chief -

JMM

Postby JMM » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:31 am

vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:47 pm
very nice collection. I've been carrying the m4 satin a lot this year trying to get a good patina forming before the warm weather comes back in a couple of weeks.

Hoping they make a salt batch some day for summer carry. I love the Pacific Salt but aside from it being lighter and rust proof, I like the Chief design so much more. It feels so natural in my hands.
I hope so as well, and given that Eric showed off that Native5 LW Salt with Magnacut I think making that into a Chief would be awesome. I have a Native5 LW with an SE S35VN blade that I think would make an amazing Chief... I'm really glad this model is finally getting the attention it deserves. (K390 would be cool too).

:smiling-halo

TkoK83Spy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:39 am

Great collection!
17 :bug-red 's in 12 different steels
2 - Bradford Guardian 3's (Wharnie Vanadis 4E and 3V/Drop Point)
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper - ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Large Sebenza 31/Box Elder Inlays
1 - CRK Umnumzaan
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Finch Knives Sunkist Harvester

-Rick

Gtscotty

Postby Gtscotty » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:27 am

Got mine in yesterday. Fit and finish seems very good, and it has a much better and more even factory edge than any of my other recent Spyderco's.

This is my first chief, and it certainly is a Hoss, but I like the narrower blade, to me it and the Endura both carry better than the Manix for that reason. G-10 slab is also my favorite linerless construction method my far, the knife is stiffer and feels more substantial than my Salt 2 while still being light for it's size... Great compromise and personally I think a linerless G-10 Chief with salt hardware and a MagnaCut blade would make a great shark-shanking addition to the salt line.

Family photo op.... Definitely space in the lineup for a midsize 3.5" Native Brave...

vivi

Postby vivi » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:41 am

Yep, the Chief carries very well for the size. Not nearly as wide as the Manix series.

Agreed on the Chief VS Salt comparison. Chief is pretty lightweight while having a premium look & feel. Glad to see linerless G10 folders back in the line-up. I really liked the ones they used to make, like the Yojimbo 1 & original UKPK.
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!
- Current top 3 Spydies
- Siren - Pacific Salt - Chief -

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”