Damasteel Ivory G10 Urban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Superfool

Re: Damasteel Ivory G10 Urban

Post by Superfool »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:04 pm
I hope these sell out in 4hrs. I'm hoping for a Native Chief in Damasteel, looks excellent!
I agree. I want them to shoot out, but we all know my motives for that.

*cough... do a UKPK Sal... *cough
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

fixall wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:27 am
Hi Fixall.

Thank you for that very detailed reply. I see the points that you are making, and I see Sal's view as well. That being said, the future for the DAMAUKPK is uncertain, so if you ever do decide to do a custom DAMAUKPK as per or similar to the forum, I would very much like one.
David

Superfool

Post by Superfool »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:27 am
Sal, I appreciate you bringing this to the fans. It’s going to be a very nice pocket piece.
Firmly agreed. Whether it is successful or not, it shows that Spyderco proactively listen to their fans, which is more than a lot of companies do these days.
David

Superfool

Post by Superfool »

fixall wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:41 am
I think I came off more negative than I intended. Tone over text has always been hard for me to convey.
I think we all do sometimes. I know I can be quite abrupt, or come across more curt than I mean to on text.
David

Superfool

Post by Superfool »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:09 pm
Hi Superfool,

We made 1500. I've already glommed 3. I think it's a very nice piece. Just under 2.5" Point is in the right place. think it's an elegant piece, ut of course I'm biased as I designed the model and it's my project. Thanx much for the request. Troublemaker, I know it's not exactly what you wanted, but..................

I don't expect they would sell out in 4 hours, but I don't think they'll last a year?

BTW David, Kristi is trying to reach you.

sal
Hi Sal.

Thanks for doing this, and I hope you go on to make the UKPK.

I have other UKPK ideas, but I will float them later in the year I think. I am a little busy right now to get involved with all that jazz again.

I have spoken with Kristi, Thank you Sal.
David

Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:17 pm
Hi Gsg9,

We have to QC in golden. We've tried 3 times to set up distribution in Europe to try to save the consumer money and it failed each time. even this model needed attention in Golden before we could ship it.

Our prices are based on our costs to build the model. We cannot compete with a Chinese manufacturer on cost due to the 6/1 Yuan valuation. If you feel that the knife is not worth the cost, you should probably not purchase it?

We were asked to make a Damascus UK, which we could not fit in at this time. In an effort to try to serve the request, the best we could do was the Damasteel Urban. If the knife fails in the Marketplace, we will probably not try to make it again.

sal

Hi Sal,

Thank you for your reply.

Not trying to be confrontational and after all these are Spyderco's products free to sell for 100K if wishes so.

IMHO these remain:

* with what pricing info I could gather from EUROTECHNI website the higher price difference is not justified by the price of Damasteel, HH still trying to sell their S90V for $164
https://heinnie.com/spyderco-urban-hein ... rrencyId=3

* an Urban made in EU with EU materials goes back and forth EU-US and it ends up selling in EU for 400EU.
If comparison with a chinese maker looks unfair then 400EUR-460$ is equivalent to the US $price of a Large Sebenza 31.

Sad to hear nothing can be done in Europe to try to save consumer's money, I presume Europe as a market for Spyderco is becoming less and less relevant, every price increase in US makes it even worse in EU.

An UK PK done later will be even more expensive.

From what you are saying I think it's unfortunate that you did the Urban before PK, I would prefer the PK failed but at least it was available to buy, now if Urban fails there will be no PK.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Superfool wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:48 am
Naperville wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:04 pm
I hope these sell out in 4hrs. I'm hoping for a Native Chief in Damasteel, looks excellent!
I agree. I want them to shoot out, but we all know my motives for that.

*cough... do a UKPK Sal... *cough
:squinting-tongue

"Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020" Now wait, there is a TROUBLEMAKER CLASS? I must be an honorary member.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:32 pm
"Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020" Now wait, there is a TROUBLEMAKER CLASS? I must be an honorary member.
So it seems.

Several months of whining at Sal to make a DAMAUKPK, followed by a campaign of harassment on here with polls and more whining.

Occasionally rubbing other members up the wrong way, unintentionally of course.

More whining at Sal to do the knife over the following months. General campaign of harassment.

That got me membership it seems.
David

sal

Post by sal »

Gsg9 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:59 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:17 pm
Hi Gsg9,

We have to QC in golden. We've tried 3 times to set up distribution in Europe to try to save the consumer money and it failed each time. even this model needed attention in Golden before we could ship it.

Our prices are based on our costs to build the model. We cannot compete with a Chinese manufacturer on cost due to the 6/1 Yuan valuation. If you feel that the knife is not worth the cost, you should probably not purchase it?

We were asked to make a Damascus UK, which we could not fit in at this time. In an effort to try to serve the request, the best we could do was the Damasteel Urban. If the knife fails in the Marketplace, we will probably not try to make it again.

sal

Hi Sal,

Thank you for your reply.

Not trying to be confrontational and after all these are Spyderco's products free to sell for 100K if wishes so.

IMHO these remain:

* with what pricing info I could gather from EUROTECHNI website the higher price difference is not justified by the price of Damasteel, HH still trying to sell their S90V for $164
https://heinnie.com/spyderco-urban-hein ... rrencyId=3

Hi Gsg9, As I said,our prices are determined by our costs. Whether or not you can find justification for our prices is your call. If a model is not well received by the Market. It usually goes by the wayside.

* an Urban made in EU with EU materials goes back and forth EU-US and it ends up selling in EU for 400EU.
If comparison with a chinese maker looks unfair then 400EUR-460$ is equivalent to the US $price of a Large Sebenza 31.

I agree that it seems unfair. But we've found that there is no other way to do this at this time. And as I mentioned, a Chinese maker has a clear advantage in cost. That's why much of the worlds products are made in China.

Sad to hear nothing can be done in Europe to try to save consumer's money, I presume Europe as a market for Spyderco is becoming less and less relevant, every price increase in US makes it even worse in EU.

I too think it's sad. I'm the guy that tried 3 times to try to set up a better system in Europe; once in Belgium and twice in Netherlands. Lost my shirt. If we can come up with a better system, I assure you we will try it. The European Market is very important to us. That's why I began to market in Europe at the IWA show in 1988. We still attend that show in an effort to have our products there.

An UK PK done later will be even more expensive.

I don't know the answer to that until we make one.

From what you are saying I think it's unfortunate that you did the Urban before PK, I would prefer the PK failed but at least it was available to buy, now if Urban fails there will be no PK.
The US factory in Golden is backed up quite a bit. While we have increased production significantly in the past year, it is still not enough. We are in the process of expanding the factory to be able to increase production, but that's a year in construction before it will make a difference.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I was here for quite a while before I fully comprehended just some of the process it takes to bring a knife from an idea to the market. I'm still occasionally guilty of, "well why don't they just do this?". Learning is a process too.
I appreciate the patience, edge-u-cation, and the knives sal.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
glob

Post by glob »

Great looking piece. Thank you Spyderco crew for making it happen. Hopefully I will able to get my hands on one.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:19 pm

Does anyone know who the production partner in Maniago is for the Urban?

In one of the Shot Show videos, Eric confirmed it as Fox Knives.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

looks like there was a balance between etch depth and maintaining good tolerances. That's what allows consistent performance on a production run like this. Once they're in the hands of the fans, I expect to see some pursue a deeper etch while masking off areas that need to maintain the existing finish.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vanka

Post by vanka »

I just find that few European dealers are getting pre orders. Prices vary between 379-393 euros.... ouch.
I wonder what the price in UK would be. I expect something in the range of 350-380£. Double ouch. 😬
Matus

Post by Matus »

It is a cool little knife and a design I love and I do wish to Spyderco to sell these out, but I payed about this much in total when I imported the DLT Tuff and I just don’t see the value (subjective!!) in the Urban to pay the same. It is just not there. Frankly, anything past 250€ just does not make realy sense. Not in a slipjoint with G10 scales.

There must have been difficulties to produce this particular knife that pushed the price up as I never got the impression that Spyderco is trying to rip off their customers, but for me it is well past the value.

Again, just my view.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

https://youtu.be/EG1IrNTdAC8
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:34 pm
https://youtu.be/EG1IrNTdAC8
Yeah, $280 is ok for that knife.

It looks great.
David

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I may not have to polish the G10 after all. That looks awesome and can’t wait!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Looks great.

In the delivered and up and coming thread people were asking about how light/dark the etch is. To keep that thread on topic I'll post this here.

This is my 40th Anniversary. I have it angled in the light just right for maximum effect, this is as dark as the etch ever looks. Interestingly if you look at the swedge, in the angle of the light hitting that part of the blade you can barely see any pattern at all.

It's also worth noting as it moves through the light the part of the pattern that appears dark and the part that appears light will switch.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Anxiously awaiting preorders in the US.