An 'Astute' assessment

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: An 'Astute' assessment

Post by vivi »

same experience I've had with 8Cr. It's a lot like PE H1 in that while edge retention isn't amazing, it's trivial to bring back to full sharpness. I love the sharpening response from it, it feels harder than other companies 8Cr and less prone to huge burs.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:36 pm
same experience I've had with 8Cr. It's a lot like PE H1 in that while edge retention isn't amazing, it's trivial to bring back to full sharpness. I love the sharpening response from it, it feels harder than other companies 8Cr and less prone to huge burs.
i meant to mention that in my post... i don't know what spyderco is doing with their 8cr13mov, but it's not the same experience i've had with other manufacturers' 8cr13mov. this is my second spyderco in this steel and both have outperformed other knives said to be the same steel from other companies.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I have a resilience and I feel like a lot of these bullet points apply to it…I truly don’t mind 8cr in this series though. I don’t mind sharpening and to be honest, I don’t think an s35vn version would even interest me…I would, however, be into BD1N just because I love that steel and whole-heartedly endorse it as a quality budget choice.

The other thing is that I like having my resilience as a large beater spyderco. I don’t want all of my spydercos to be perfectly centered, crucarta masterpieces that would crush me if they were lost. The astute/resilience/etc are models that I could drag through the mud, use hard then throw at a hoarde of rabid, charging squirrels and not think twice.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:36 pm
i meant to mention that in my post... i don't know what spyderco is doing with their 8cr13mov, but it's not the same experience i've had with other manufacturers' 8cr13mov. this is my second spyderco in this steel and both have outperformed other knives said to be the same steel from other companies.
Yep, same ingredients can go into the steel, but the difference in heat treat can bring out different performance. It's one of the things I trust Spyderco to get right, consistently. Their CPMD2 blew other companies D2 out of the water for me across the board too - though some of that was surely due to comparing the CPM version to regular D2.
Manifestgtr wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:03 pm
I have a resilience and I feel like a lot of these bullet points apply to it…I truly don’t mind 8cr in this series though. I don’t mind sharpening and to be honest, I don’t think an s35vn version would even interest me…I would, however, be into BD1N just because I love that steel and whole-heartedly endorse it as a quality budget choice.

The other thing is that I like having my resilience as a large beater spyderco. I don’t want all of my spydercos to be perfectly centered, crucarta masterpieces that would crush me if they were lost. The astute/resilience/etc are models that I could drag through the mud, use hard then throw at a hoarde of rabid, charging squirrels and not think twice.
Yep, it's nice having knives that can be used hard and put away dirty without a second thought. One can pick up a Resilience or Astute for $50 or $60, and if it gets lost or broken or worn out, it's trivial to replace. I've got some really cool Spydercos like a sprint C95 and a pakkawood / k390 Police I'd never consider bringing to work and getting dirty ,but I don't think twice about carrying my LW Resilience anywhere.
:unicorn
olywa

Post by olywa »

Could be worse. Could be rabid Zombie squirrels...
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Spyderco is just treating their 8Cr13MoV right:

notorious fidgeteer