4V Native Chief - Impressions, reviews, etc.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

4V Native Chief - Impressions, reviews, etc.

Post by vivi »

Similar to the M4 Chief thread, this thread will serve for users to post feedback about their 4V Chiefs.

My 4V Chief arrived today, and the fit and finish is on the same level as my DLC M4 Chiefs. That is to say, essentially flawless save for the G10 scales standing a little proud of the back spacer, something that I see on DLC Chiefs but not satin Chiefs.

One thing I was worried about with the 1 per customer limit, is getting one where the lock release sits flush with the rest of the handle. I've had three Chief sprints where they did not. Luckily the 4V is perfect there.

This will be my first 4V steel knife, so I'm excited to compare it to M4, one of my favorite steels. Reading about the two has me expecting slightly less edge holding but a bit more toughness, and probably a bit easier to sharpen. Time will tell. I find M4 one of the most balanced steels in terms of edge holding and ease of sharpening, so I am interested to compare 4V in those two specific areas.

It could just be my other Chiefs have worn in from carry and use, but the G10 on the 4V Chief feels extra grippy in comparison.

Really happy with the color scheme. I plan to keep the stock colors but eventually round the edges of the scales like I have with my other Chiefs.

I've been holding out for St. Nicks do run a large folder in 4V DLC & red G10, and I'm glad they finally did. It's gorgeous. Nice change from the usual black, or black and green most my collection is. Here's hoping they do a Military 1 or 2, Police or Manix XL next!
:unicorn
Superflex

Re: 4V Native Chief - Impressions, reviews, etc.

Post by Superflex »

Mine will be in Thursday.
My third Chief. M4 DLC and Satin XHP will have a sock drawer mate.
So much for my 2022 willpower as I bough this and the Fradon Lock PM2 within 24 hours of each other.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I agree this g10 seems grippier
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

This is the stiffest Chief I’ve got yet. Not a complaint mind you, just the only thing I noticed.

This may be my favorite model. I usually have a Chief or Police with me and love both, but the sleek lines and USA stamp give the Chief an edge! ;)
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Mine arrived today. Slightest bit of side to side play, and a little off center. The action is great. Overall I’m satisfied.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I gifted my friend my S30V Chief a few months ago (since I had the rex45 and s90v and wanted him to see what the fuss was about) He was just showing it to me next to the Amalgam he just bought for Christmas. Didn't realize they were so similar in size.

Sorry slightly off topic.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Mine came in! Mine had a lot of play and was off center. Pivot screw was loose. Fixed that and it's centered with good action that will break in and be even better like my S90V chief. Edge is a laser, I expected nothing less. Lock bar seems a little shorter than my other 2 chiefs...those are almost right up against the backspacer. This one has some gap. Not a big deal, knife is just fine! G10 seems even grippier than my S30V chief...might need to knock it down a little, or just use it and let it wear down a little.

Either way, I'm satisfied! The knife looks great, feels great, and I can't wait to have some fun with 4v!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

This is yet another one of those knives that I want really bad even though I have literally no use for it.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Mine made it all the way up to my doorstep in Canada in under 1 business day.

It looks great! My only critique (hardly) is that the edge thins out slightly towards the tip, forming a very slight recurve that is hardly noticeable.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Who updates Spydie Wiki? This release is mistakenly listed as a CS exclusive with M4 steel.

https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?ti ... tive_Chief
vivi

Post by vivi »

bgcameron wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:30 pm
My only critique (hardly) is that the edge thins out slightly towards the tip, forming a very slight recurve that is hardly noticeable.
Are you able to capture that in a photo?
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:23 pm
Its a little bit hard to capture as it is so slight. I put it beside my rex 45 chief to compare. In any case, it is more of an observation than a concern.
upload image share
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Mine appears larger than yours! :winking-tongue

This makes my 4th spydie in 4V; MuleTeam, SNK para 3 and the prodigious Province. My 1st Chief though, I just hope I can maintain that tip.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Zive

Post by Zive »

This is my fifth Chief (have all the tool steel releases).

Best fit and finish of the lot (and none of them are slouches). G10 is flush with the lock bar and back spacer throughout. Others have mentioned some roughness with the G10 around the corners and screw holes but I don’t seem to have that issue.

Centering is dead-on. Blade grind is almost perfect, ever so slightly lower on the primary bevel near the choil on one side.

Will report more when I put this to work.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bgcameron wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:47 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:23 pm
Its a little bit hard to capture as it is so slight. I put it beside my rex 45 chief to compare. In any case, it is more of an observation than a concern.
upload image share
I see it. That will probably sharpen out on your first sharpening.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I finally opened mine this morning, even though it arrived last night.

First impressions: Delightfully smooth blade action, very good build quality, and excellent color way. Kudos to Spyderco and SNK.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've already got the Shaman and Manix in 4V and a Bradford in comparable Vanadis 4E...but I'm already regretting passing on this one.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this compared to M4 Vivi. I've found it easier to sharpen, as well as seemingly having a bit better edge retention (though I've never done a truly controlled test between the two).
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:22 pm
Nice looking patina on the rex 45. How did you achieve this?
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

So it goes.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Airlsee wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:32 pm
There was a thread...
thanks for linking that.

Got the M4 satin Chief IWB today. Trying to be more patient with that one and let it gradually form.