Saber grind

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
damiand

Saber grind

Post by damiand »

Hello.

I'm having a hard time finding a saber grind knife. I am a Chaparral owner and while i appreciate the slicy cuts of my knife there are other applications like cutting wood that is not really that tough. For example, instead of a flat grind that progressively increases in thickness as it gets closer to the spine, I prefer a very tiny cutting edge followed by much much more thickness probably 1-1.5mm thick immediately after stabbing the knife, it seems I can achieve this with saber grind but I am not very satisfied with Delica 4 or Endura. First Delica 4 and Endura steel is not very convenient for me since I would need constant sharpening, I am looking for something like CTS-XHP or higher in edge retention, and very high corrosion resistance (CTS-XHP is already giving me issues and I am planning to buy Caribbean LC200N for my flat grind knife).
S-3 ranch

Re: Saber grind

Post by S-3 ranch »

Mel Purdue in S30v, trying other brands if spyderco doesn’t have a model to your liking
Or a BRADLEY FOLDER™ 2

I am a hunting guide and rancher in Texas USA and receive many freebies/ demo knives every year!

You didn’t read my pm’s or email? Please let me know
It’s basically your choice hermano.
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

The Spyderco Pacific Salt 2 in H1 immediately comes to mind but I don't think you'd be happy with the edge retention. I believe you might be surprised by the edge retention and corrosion resistance of VG-10 which is offered in Sabre grind Delicas and Enduras. So the next knife to come to mind would be the Yojimbo 2. Or the recently announced Spyderco Stovepipe. Both of which are technically hollow grinds, but they may work for you.
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Native 5 in S90V clad in CPM154.

Better start saving your euros.
Danke

Post by Danke »

]Looks up "Kinda All Over the Map" on dictionary.com.

Also

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Check out the Spyderco Wolfspyder.

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Prod ... der-Knife/

Also, the Casstrom Lars Falt folder or Helle Bleja are lockback knives that may fit your needs.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

And silence :yawn :yawn

I offered a free saber ground knife to the OP and he has never answered my pm or email

I get loads of free testing knives or gifts and was willing to let him pick from a email photo his perfect choice.

I think some drama troll is going on, maybe time to block out the op , or use as entertainment value only :thinking :thinking :thinking
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I was thinking, not joking and not being cruel, that the poster might be on the spectrum.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:02 pm
And silence :yawn :yawn

I offered a free saber ground knife to the OP and he has never answered my pm or email

I get loads of free testing knives or gifts and was willing to let him pick from a email photo his perfect choice.

I think some drama troll is going on, maybe time to block out the op , or use as entertainment value only :thinking :thinking :thinking
That’s a generous offer. If you have a look at OP’s other threads, there seems to be a theme. They appear to be full of……beans.
cjk

Post by cjk »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:19 pm
I was thinking, not joking and not being cruel, that the poster might be on the spectrum.
Might just be a kid.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Wow S3 ranch....that is really nice. I emailed him as well and send him messages. Never received an answer as well. I also don't believe that he's using a translation app. I use one as well ( not a native English speaker) and those aps never give the same finess the poster sometimes uses. I'm the first to help people out when they need help. But i have a STRONG dislike for those who play games with people's feelings. If the poster is on the spectrum i'm afraid whatever we do we will never be able to answer his questions. My experience with high functioning autism and Asperger is that they are extremely well versed in their field of interest. They are capable of absorbing huge amounts of information and a lot of them are very smart. IMHO the poster is a troll who knows a thing or two about knives. He just poses a lot of questions and never does anything with the answers people give him. Or he is a youngster who thinks that searching the forum is too much hassle and he just asks everything that comes up in his mind thinking "they answer me anyway". I really don't know. But what he did was deviding us in "believers and non believers" and starting discussions among forumites who normally don't bicker against each other. I really don't like that. And when he answered that he was just a poor guy who couldn't speak English well and was poor because he could not afford a torx screwdriver but later told us that he was going to buy a techno....sorry but i don't believe that.
He also told an obvious lie about his corroded knife. He never posted a picture of his knife. Then he poses a question about needing a backlock knife that he can open silent and is extremely corrosion proof. Who needs a completely silent folder that is extremely corrosion proof? Is he a member of Shayetet 13? Or the SBS? His claims are outrageous and try to luer foremites into discussion with each other and sending bad vibes around. I don't like that. And i still believe he should buy the Microtech Jagdkommando. Three cutting edges, extreme corrosion proof, silent and an unbendable handle!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If everyone would stop replying to all his threads...he may just go away out of boredom. (My last post on this matter)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I've been both ways with him providing some support and also jumping on the bandwagon of calling him a troll.
The lack of response on the majority of his threads leads me to the troll aspect, but I'm trying to be more understanding in 2022.
If dude cant source torx drivers in Spain, he must be living on a mountain top abbey.
Maybe he needs the silent techno for his overthrow of the Abbot?