Any New SPY27 Models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
S-3 ranch

Re: Any New SPY27 Models?

Post by S-3 ranch »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:37 pm
Does it actually offer any performance benefits over S35vn that, on paper at least, looks like it has nearly identical performance for lower price?
It has a pinch less vanadium than it’s brothers, so IMO is a pinch easier to sharpen and field strop back to very keen.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

• SPY27 was introduced by Spyderco & Crucible almost exactly two years ago as a knife steel but has only really been tested by Spyderco & Crucible?
  • Is the aim of SPY27 just so that it sharpens easier/faster?
  • Larrin tried to get samples to test?
  • SPY27 also coincided with two more famous steels: S45VN & MagnaCut?
  • Spyderco has kept Native5 at the S30V level (demoted from S35VN because they found little advantage for S35VN over S30V) while promoting Para3 & ParaMilitary2 from S30V to S45VN. Why not promote Native5 from the current S30V to S45VN?
Native5 Lightweight with FRN and Satin Blade at BladeHQ currently has a wild bunch at current street prices:
  • Native5 Lightweight M4 Mint FRN $119.00
  • Native5 Lightweight S30V Black FRN $120.75
  • Native5 Lightweight S30V Pink FRN $127.05
  • Native5 Lightweight SPY27 Cobalt Blue FRN $138.60
  • Native5 Lightweight MagnaCut Yellow FRN $143.15 [transition from LC200N to MagnaCut]
  • Native5 Lightweight S110V Dark Blue FRN $163.10
  • Native5 Lightweight Maxamet Gray FRN $200.20
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:06 am
metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:37 pm
Does it actually offer any performance benefits over S35vn that, on paper at least, looks like it has nearly identical performance for lower price?
It has a pinch less vanadium than it’s brothers, so IMO is a pinch easier to sharpen and field strop back to very keen.
That has been my experience too. It's like an upgraded PM VG-10.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

Would be nice in a Native Chief with a cobalt blue G10 handle
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:13 pm
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:20 am
Military in SPY27 would be AWESOME!

Hi MyelinSheath,

Welcome to our forum.

I've been carrying one for a few days. I asked Roque, our prototype maker, to make one for me. Nice piece for me.

sal

It's time for my first Military ;)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:36 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:33 pm
In what area does spy27 excel? The edge it takes?
I wouldn't necessarily says it excels (best in class) for any category. Where Maxamet excels in edge retention and H-1 excels in corrosion resistance there are trade offs. SPY27 is a great middle group steel that does a lot well, but not best in class. It takes a great edge fairly easily. And strops back well. It is a great user steel that performs at a higher level than budget steels, but can be sharpened by those who let's say may struggle or don't have the equipment for some of the high edge retention steels. I have sharpened it with a field sharpener and can get a great edge. And it last a good while.
Right - I'm not saying it excels in an objective way - but there are certain steels people love for a particular reason.

Like M4 may not have an edge retention or toughness advantage over k390, but some users like the aggressive edge it takes
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:15 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:36 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:33 pm
In what area does spy27 excel? The edge it takes?
I wouldn't necessarily says it excels (best in class) for any category. Where Maxamet excels in edge retention and H-1 excels in corrosion resistance there are trade offs. SPY27 is a great middle group steel that does a lot well, but not best in class. It takes a great edge fairly easily. And strops back well. It is a great user steel that performs at a higher level than budget steels, but can be sharpened by those who let's say may struggle or don't have the equipment for some of the high edge retention steels. I have sharpened it with a field sharpener and can get a great edge. And it last a good while.
Right - I'm not saying it excels in an objective way - but there are certain steels people love for a particular reason.

Like M4 may not have an edge retention or toughness advantage over k390, but some users like the aggressive edge it takes
I think it would have been a great base model steel. Both in it's exclusiveness to Spyderco and ease of sharpening for a 61-62 HRC steel. But obviously cost is a huge disadvantage for that. Your base models have to be competitive. So, it may be just the wrong time for it. Especially given the move to S45VN and possibility of Magnacut being more available.

Off-topic, not sure if we have good toughness (impact) test for K390. I'm anxiously awaiting Larrin to post some testing data on Knife Steel Nerds. M4 may still have it beat for that. Obviously, K390 with it's high HRC and other properties has proven better edge stability. But I do see your overall point and it is a good one.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:13 pm
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:20 am
Military in SPY27 would be AWESOME!

Hi MyelinSheath,

Welcome to our forum.

I've been carrying one for a few days. I asked Roque, our prototype maker, to make one for me. Nice piece for me.

sal
[/quote]Hi Sal, Does this mean we will see a Military in SPY27?

It would be nice to see the flagship model done in a steel of Spyderco's own recipe.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Blacksmith,

I can't say that for sure. I think it would be a good model, but right now there is significant discussion by management on which models go into queue with which makers. Much based on demand.

Gail and I are in a humid environment and I thought to test one here. I like the size of the Military so I asked Roque to make two (Eric and me). I wasn't trying so sell anybody anything, I just thought to say that the concept is being tested.

Thanx for the interest.

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, you know I'll buy one if you make it.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I hope that SPY27 Military makes it thru that significant discussion into production,
Please don't make it exclusive so people from the other sides of the pond will be able buy it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would definitely like to see a SPY27 Lefty Military . Time for a upgrade . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:31 pm
Hi Blacksmith,

I can't say that for sure. I think it would be a good model, but right now there is significant discussion by management on which models go into queue with which makers. Much based on demand.

Gail and I are in a humid environment and I thought to test one here. I like the size of the Military so I asked Roque to make two (Eric and me). I wasn't trying so sell anybody anything, I just thought to say that the concept is being tested.

Thanx for the interest.

sal
[Thanks Sal, I hope there's plenty of interest. Rest assured if it comes to pass, I have some money set aside for 2]