Will the G10 Police ever return?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Toucan

Will the G10 Police ever return?

Post by Toucan »

I started getting into Spyderco with a Tenacious a little over a decade ago, and while I liked it, so much so that my next knife was a Manix, I was a little self-conscious using a "big" knife in suburban/urban environments.

So I started going smaller. Chaparrals, Delicas, Ladybugs, etc. I kind of largely ignored big knives for years. I remember seeing the disco'd G10 K390 Police on clearance and just shrugging.

Long story short, I was gifted an Endura and realized that big folding knives are great. Beyond just being "fun", there is a lotta utility to them. I've since aquired a Caly3.5, an SS Cara Cara, and a few other longbois. My biggest regret is not getting a G10 K390 Police when they were available.

I know Spyderco doesn't currently talk about things they have in the works, but is there any chance of a return of the G10 Police? In K390 or another tough and high edge retention carbon steel?

(Side note, the screw construction VG10 SS Police in the 2022 Catalog is pretty sweet)
Evil D

Re: Will the G10 Police ever return?

Post by Evil D »

With the stainless handle Police now apparently coming with screw construction, it does seem at least easier to make one in G10, but it probably doesn't use liners like G10 would since the stainless handles are sort of both. Maybe there's hope of a linerless G10 Police? Hard to say, it seems like the Police model stays around more for heritage reasons, I would love to get a peak at the yearly sales of each model.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

G-10 K390 was a great knife. I hope it lives again one day. Maybe an Exclusive or a Sprint. Pakkawood is still available. It's got liners.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:14 am
With the stainless handle Police now apparently coming with screw construction, it does seem at least easier to make one in G10, but it probably doesn't use liners like G10 would since the stainless handles are sort of both. Maybe there's hope of a linerless G10 Police? Hard to say, it seems like the Police model stays around more for heritage reasons, I would love to get a peak at the yearly sales of each model.
The SS model is very cool, but being smaller, and with the chunky tang instead of the finger choil, it is a little less appealing to me than the Police 4. I wouldn't complain though.

Now that the SS Police is getting some love with the update, seeing it in K390 seems at least plausible. It would be kinda cool to see another souped up heritage model become a regular production thing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Toucan wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:28 am
Evil D wrote:
The SS model is very cool, but being smaller, and with the chunky tang instead of the finger choil, it is a little less appealing to me than the Police 4. I wouldn't complain though.

Now that the SS Police is getting some love with the update, seeing it in K390 seems at least plausible. It would be kinda cool to see another souped up heritage model become a regular production thing.

I didn't realize you meant the Police 4, but I'd say anything is possible. Maybe even a sprint or exclusive will come along in G10. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Police 4 come out in Blade HQ's Jade/M4 combo.
~David
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:42 am
Toucan wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I didn't realize you meant the Police 4, but I'd say anything is possible. Maybe even a sprint or exclusive will come along in G10. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Police 4 come out in Blade HQ's Jade/M4 combo.
Yeah, just like the regular G10 Police 4 with K390 that they axed a few years ago. Seems entirely possible. But has Blade HQ ever done a Jade-M4 from Seki? I can only think of USA and Taiwan models. I'd be stoked on an M4 version of any of the Seki line up.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Toucan wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:49 am
Evil D wrote:
Toucan wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Yeah, just like the regular G10 Police 4 with K390 that they axed a few years ago. Seems entirely possible. But has Blade HQ ever done a Jade-M4 from Seki? I can only think of USA and Taiwan models. I'd be stoked on an M4 version of any of the Seki line up.

Well they did do the Tanto but I guess it did use HAP40/SUS420 instead of M4.
~David
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:53 am
Toucan wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Toucan wrote:

Huh, I missed that one. That's pretty sweet.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I sure hope the G-10 Police model returns at some point. Because when they launched the G-10 version way back in the ATS-55 era it was like a completely brand new model hit the shelves.

The Police model will always remain one of the most functional of all the Spyderco models. That's the way it started out and when they finally offered it with a G-10 handle the improvement was great. I can't hardly believe that the G-10 version had problems on the sales charts to begin with.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:53 am
Toucan wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Toucan wrote:

I must of missed the Tanto , when did it come out , was it an exclusive ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:40 am

It was an exclusive.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... usive/1167
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:06 am
I sure hope the G-10 Police model returns at some point. Because when they launched the G-10 version way back in the ATS-55 era it was like a completely brand new model hit the shelves.

The Police model will always remain one of the most functional of all the Spyderco models. That's the way it started out and when they finally offered it with a G-10 handle the improvement was great. I can't hardly believe that the G-10 version had problems on the sales charts to begin with.
I suspect that the G-10 versions didn't do well because the primary market for the Police Model preferred in waistband carry and found the G-10 harder to draw and put away than smooth stainless. There is also the factor of using the butt as a glass breaker and "pain compliance device" which works better with stainless handles. Just a theory.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:16 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

It was an exclusive.

Evil D , I’m confused link you gave me was a Lum Tanto liner lock ? I looked at Spydiewiki and could not find a Tanto Police are they missing information ?
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:24 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:06 am

I suspect that the G-10 versions didn't do well because the primary market for the Police Model preferred in waistband carry and found the G-10 harder to draw and put away than smooth stainless. There is also the factor of using the butt as a glass breaker and "pain compliance device" which works better with stainless handles. Just a theory.
Yab,that’s a very valid point , makes a lot of sense.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:28 am
Evil D wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

It was an exclusive.

Evil D , I’m confused link you gave me was a Lum Tanto liner lock ? I looked at Spydiewiki and could not find a Tanto Police are they missing information ?

Sorry, the tanto I mentioned was referring to the Blade HQ exclusives that were done in jade G10 and M4 steel, and he was asking if they had done M4 in Japanese made models but they haven't, they used HAP40 instead. They've never made a tanto Police.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Japanese G10 has skyrocketed in price, so this would be very expensive if it does get produced again. Maybe research into a more affordable Japanese scale material, other than steel or FRN, needs to happen? Maybe nothing is affordable in Japan these days?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:05 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

It was an exclusive.

Sorry, the tanto I mentioned was referring to the Blade HQ exclusives that were done in jade G10 and M4 steel, and he was asking if they had done M4 in Japanese made models but they haven't, they used HAP40 instead. They've never made a tanto Police.
What about the Rock lobster
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

SG89 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:16 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:05 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Evil D wrote:

It was an exclusive.

What about the Rock lobster
Good catch.

Just for fun I looked at them on the Blade HQ site and it looks like the M4 exclusive was cheaper than the VG10 model. Go figure.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yeah lately the exclusives are great values compared to the production models.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I think not. G10’s rising cost will not fall anytime soon, and now Spyderco must amortize its investment in the Police4 FRN mold.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”