Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Peacedivision

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by Peacedivision »

we could finally see a salt PM2 and PM3, MagnaCut with the new CQI coated lock and hardware would be fantastic.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bleasure wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:40 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:50 pm
Whether LC or MagnaCut are truely 100% RUST PROOF like H1 is, will probably be an ongoing argument for years to come, but I'm betting that for most people who work in salt water environments who actually use their knives for a job where edge retention is just as important as corrosion resistance, the added edge retention will likely be a fair tradeoff for a steel that's only 95% rust proof.

It's funny because we're getting to a point where corrosion resistance is a debatable topic like edge retention already is. A guy may be just fine with H1's edge retention even if it only lasts him one single day and he has to sharpen it at the end of the day, and in the exact same way the next guy may be totally fine with MagnaCut's corrosion resistance if it will make it through an entire day of working in salt water and all he needs to do is rinse the knife out at the end of the day to keep it rust free.
I think you're right about all of the above. I see most effectively stainless steels as genuinely stainless for most any use and situation other than real abuse, like leaving a salt-water soaked knife in a kayak for weeks at a time. My interest in these isn't the like, competitive, progressivist/tech determinist thing where only the most hyperbolic/highest etc. is valuable or good, like the edge retention race, it's basically just morbid curiosity about their abilities and traits.

If there is a line for practical, 'overwhelmingly stainless enough for amost everyone, almost all of the time' that pretty well most stainless steels and even a lot of quasi-stainless ones meet, my fascination with these is how far beyond that they go. There is no practical scenario in which I personally can imagine *needing* the stainlessness that any of these offer, beyond clumsiness insurance (which I do need in general ...hence liking tougher steels) and infinite peace of mind. But the researcher in me wants to know more, and I'm curious if any solid info's out there about these four relative to eachother.

Personally I love the ability to flat out neglect a knife when the need arises. If I'm at work and I have to cut something in a nasty environment and I don't have time to clean the blade off, I'm usually folding the knife and sticking it back in my pocket still covered in whatever nasty stuff I cut, and it may be hours before I even think to clean it off. For me there's a lot of peace of mind in that. I've had steels like S90V spot rust on a humid day just from sweat but for me the bigger benefit is actually being able to legitimately neglect a knife in difficult situations and not have to pay for it later. I do love my tool steels and I even like the required attention they need to keep them clean, but I tend to use them for different jobs and different situations than true everyday carry and definitely not as a work knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JakeXman wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:06 pm
*sigh* guess it’s time to start saving up/selling plasma!
Ouch! Selling plasma!!! :head-bandage

I just took out a loan for Christmas/New Years Knives, and I thought that was bad.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

bleasure wrote:
... and I'm curious if any solid info's out there about these four relative to eachother.
There's a treasure-trove of good usable data on Larrin's Knife Steel Nerds Patreon site.

Here's a small example of type of data relevant to this conversation that you'd find there..

"new steel" is Magnacut. Specs and details about how testing was performed, duration etc.. is on the site.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

So, if I understand correctly, the Native Salt with LC200N is discontinued in favor of the Native Salt with MagnaCut? The handle color is remaining exactly the same shade of yellow?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Spyderco declaring MagnaCut a Salt steel—a real surprise to me—puts me in mind of The Man in the White Suit (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044876/)…

But maybe I’m wrong. :thinking

I’ll get one on the drop for sure.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:53 pm

I just took out a loan for Christmas/New Years Knives, and I thought that was bad.
Oh man! I don’t think I could bring myself to do that…yet! As a college student my last 3 Spyderco purchases have been with blood money lol. I reason I’m helping people and getting a little expendable income, so why not feed the inner knife nut?
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's higher in corrosion resistance than 440c and that is amazing for something that should have wear resistance and edge stability as high as it does. For me the knife being a lockback makes it one I have no intention of letting it get by me. Thanks for posting the picture! It has me hooked just that quick. :)
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

This gets me excited for the Native Chief Salt
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JakeXman wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:37 pm
Naperville wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:53 pm

Oh man! I don’t think I could bring myself to do that…yet! As a college student my last 3 Spyderco purchases have been with blood money lol. I reason I’m helping people and getting a little expendable income, so why not feed the inner knife nut?
Wow! You're really doing it. :anguished

I took the loan out to consolidate debts but made sure to have room for food and a knife! :winking-tongue

It's just money. I don't plan on dying with money, just lots of knives!!! :savouring
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Bringing out MagnaCut in the Native, and in the Salt line to boot? I'd say that counts as nailing an intro, definitely a must buy for me.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I fully expected this steel to come out in the PM2 first. The N5 is becoming like a folding Mule. You can get it in S30V, S90V, S110, SPY27, LC200N, and now Magnacut (I'm sure I'm missing a steel or two).
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Don't forget the Native in Maxamet! Such an excellent selection of steels. People may still complain, but to have that variety of steels available on one knife is pretty amazing. The Native might be a touch chunky, but it's a blade that asks to be used, and that's a good thing to do with any of the above listed steels.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:47 pm

Personally I love the ability to flat out neglect a knife when the need arises. If I'm at work and I have to cut something in a nasty environment and I don't have time to clean the blade off, I'm usually folding the knife and sticking it back in my pocket still covered in whatever nasty stuff I cut, and it may be hours before I even think to clean it off. For me there's a lot of peace of mind in that. I've had steels like S90V spot rust on a humid day just from sweat but for me the bigger benefit is actually being able to legitimately neglect a knife in difficult situations and not have to pay for it later. I do love my tool steels and I even like the required attention they need to keep them clean, but I tend to use them for different jobs and different situations than true everyday carry and definitely not as a work knife.
I like the idea of tool steel, but the pivot retaining moisture always worry me. If water is available, I'll generally rinse off whatever I got on my knife while cutting, but then I got to be sure that I either didn't get any water in the pivot, or find a way to fully dry it.

With stainless, dunk it and put it away

The native was "boring" until I used it. The blade stock thickness, and the short cutting edge didn't matter. I love the way it points, and it's comfortable enough for me in many grips and is low profile in the pocket.
vivi

Post by vivi »

For me stainproof is so much more practical than stainless.

If I carry a vg10 endura for a year, then carry a PE H1 Pacific Salt for a year, the former will require more maintenance.

I can spot vg10 in an hour or two doing yardwork in the summer. Might have to sharpen H1 a bit more often, but I'll never have to sand off rust.
:unicorn
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:47 pm
bleasure wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:50 pm
Whether LC or MagnaCut are truely 100% RUST PROOF like H1 is, will probably be an ongoing argument for years to come, but I'm betting that for most people who work in salt water environments who actually use their knives for a job where edge retention is just as important as corrosion resistance, the added edge retention will likely be a fair tradeoff for a steel that's only 95% rust proof.

It's funny because we're getting to a point where corrosion resistance is a debatable topic like edge retention already is. A guy may be just fine with H1's edge retention even if it only lasts him one single day and he has to sharpen it at the end of the day, and in the exact same way the next guy may be totally fine with MagnaCut's corrosion resistance if it will make it through an entire day of working in salt water and all he needs to do is rinse the knife out at the end of the day to keep it rust free.
I think you're right about all of the above. I see most effectively stainless steels as genuinely stainless for most any use and situation other than real abuse, like leaving a salt-water soaked knife in a kayak for weeks at a time. My interest in these isn't the like, competitive, progressivist/tech determinist thing where only the most hyperbolic/highest etc. is valuable or good, like the edge retention race, it's basically just morbid curiosity about their abilities and traits.

If there is a line for practical, 'overwhelmingly stainless enough for amost everyone, almost all of the time' that pretty well most stainless steels and even a lot of quasi-stainless ones meet, my fascination with these is how far beyond that they go. There is no practical scenario in which I personally can imagine *needing* the stainlessness that any of these offer, beyond clumsiness insurance (which I do need in general ...hence liking tougher steels) and infinite peace of mind. But the researcher in me wants to know more, and I'm curious if any solid info's out there about these four relative to eachother.

This right there perfectly sums up the value- the durability, peace of mind and environmental versatility make the salts an excellent buy it for life knife
Just one more knife...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I dont know...

Theres plenty of "very stainless" stuff out there.
My entire talking point and endorsement of the salt series is basically guaranteeing its a rust proof knife. Not a 90 something% rust proof knife.

With that said...
Im sure for most people it will be a better option. In fact I think I would rather hear about rust specs than someone going on a rant about how bad pe h1 is, and how because of that we all dont know what were doing and spyderco doesnt make good knives, etc.

But can it do what h1 does and what lc200n can do if you have no contamination issues? Can it live at the beach, live in a kayak for a year, live in a dive bcd pocket for 100 dives and actually not need to be rinsed?

Its fine if its not on h1 level, it just makes talking about or recommending the knives a bit awkward when I tell someone get a spyderco salt series but first let me give you a lesson on 3 different steels. (I mean I love talking about it personally but Im sure most "normal" people dont want to hear it.)
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is highly interesting. I'm glad they are staying with the yellow on this one, but I wonder if it will be a slightly different shade as it is between the N Salt LC200N and the Seki Salts?

So...this is a third knife in the new catalogue that I must have at some point.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Now THIS is what I’m talking about, more specialized steels in the regular lineup is what I like to see!
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Heck yes. I looked through the catalog this morning, should have looked closer I guess.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal