Ikuchi CQI question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DutchBlades

Ikuchi CQI question

Post by DutchBlades »

As some of you might know, the pre-CQI Ikuchi's have the tip very close to the edge of it's handles.
Mine has the same issue and the needle tip makes that a bit precarious... No blood yet, but it was too close for comfort.
Sending the knife to the US is a really long and expensive ordeal, and I have lost too many knives in transit already...
(besides that, I don't even know if Spyderco can help seeing how the knife is listed as "out of stock")

I thought filing down the plunge line might fix the issue, but I was wondering if any of you have tried it.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
anycal

Re: Ikuchi CQI question

Post by anycal »

What you are proposing would likely misalign where the ball of the compression lock bar lands in the hole on the blade.

My pre CQI Ikuchi has the tip close, but hasn't been a problem. I suspect some are worse than others.
Peter
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have a post-CQI Ikuchi and on this on it appears that the cut out on the blade edge sits on the stop pin when closed. If you file that cutout deeper, the blade will sit lower (or change the stop pin to a thinner one) however, the hole in the handle and blade will no longer line up. It will be noticeable in my opinion.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

anycal wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:20 pm
What you are proposing would likely misalign where the ball of the compression lock bar lands in the hole on the blade.

My pre CQI Ikuchi has the tip close, but hasn't been a problem. I suspect some are worse than others.
Yeah, I definitely don't want to mess with the lockup or action of the knife, so I'll probably have to look for a different solution.
JRinFL wrote: I have a post-CQI Ikuchi and on this on it appears that the cut out on the blade edge sits on the stop pin when closed. If you file that cutout deeper, the blade will sit lower (or change the stop pin to a thinner one) however, the hole in the handle and blade will no longer line up. It will be noticeable in my opinion.
I really like the way the holes line up, but not using it at all would be a shame as well...
Might have to experiment with a thinner stop pin to see if it fixes the issue, and how noticeable it would be.
At least that way I don't have to permanently modify anything to see if it would work out.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Probably not the right answer but it worked for me and my pre-cqi ikuchi:
I brought the tip down on mine so it didn't stick out anymore when closed. Used a sharpmaker stone to do it.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yeah, grinding the spine down is probably your best bet. Any attempt to get the blade to seat deeper will mess with the detent.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

bearfacedkiller wrote: Yeah, grinding the spine down is probably your best bet. Any attempt to get the blade to seat deeper will mess with the detent.
SG89 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:20 pm
I brought the tip down on mine so it didn't stick out anymore when closed. Used a sharpmaker stone to do it.
I'm guessing grinding it down is probably the best option seeing how the edge will end up hugging the compression lock tab if I file into the plunge line :-||
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

DutchBlades wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:11 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote: Yeah, grinding the spine down is probably your best bet. Any attempt to get the blade to seat deeper will mess with the detent.
SG89 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:20 pm
I'm guessing grinding it down is probably the best option seeing how the edge will end up hugging the compression lock tab if I file into the plunge line :-||
If you file into the sharpening notch/plunge line your problem will be that the detent ball will not line up with the detent hole. That is if that even changes anything. It appears as though the ikuchi has both an internal as well as an external stop pin.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

BFK is correct, of course. The Ikuchi has an internal stop pin, so filing the blade or changing the stop pin would be of no help in lowering the blade. The detention issue is something I missed completely and would be the deal killer in any event.

Picture is grabbed from Nick Shabazz’s YouTube video.
8AF51325-779C-4E93-B584-1046A392929B.jpeg
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:20 pm
BFK is correct, of course. The Ikuchi has an internal stop pin, so filing the blade or changing the stop pin would be of no help in lowering the blade. The detention issue is something I missed completely and would be the deal killer in any event.
Thanks for the screenshot; that clears things up.
I guess running it over some rods to get the tip down is pretty much the only option then...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Retracted. Wouldn't work.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189