C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rp5

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Rp5 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:06 pm
This showed up today...

And it's everything I knew it would be. It's an ergonomic marvel. I'm really surprised another company hasn't taken this idea and ran with it.

I am however, a little bit concerned about the serration geometry, and I really hope the upcoming version can be done in a much more mellow pattern like for example the Rock Jumper, because these are some of the thickest and notchiest serrations I've seen. I definitely won't be even trying to reprofile this knife, but I would love to be able to on the new one and if it comes ground like this it's going to be near impossible.

So, Sal if you're reading this please consider speaking with the maker to see if this is possible. Otherwise I'm now even more excited for this new version to come out.
Have you ever seen Sniper Bladeworks? I think they go for the same ergonomic geometry.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Rp5 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:45 pm

Have you ever seen Sniper Bladeworks? I think they go for the same ergonomic geometry.

I'll check them out. It did occur to me that there are a few fixed blades that use extreme angles like this too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm so envious!!!
Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:06 pm
This showed up today...

And it's everything I knew it would be. It's an ergonomic marvel. I'm really surprised another company hasn't taken this idea and ran with it.

I am however, a little bit concerned about the serration geometry, and I really hope the upcoming version can be done in a much more mellow pattern like for example the Rock Jumper, because these are some of the thickest and notchiest serrations I've seen. I definitely won't be even trying to reprofile this knife, but I would love to be able to on the new one and if it comes ground like this it's going to be near impossible.

So, Sal if you're reading this please consider speaking with the maker to see if this is possible. Otherwise I'm now even more excited for this new version to come out.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

David,

Just an observation. With the tip down carry and the jimping at the top of the blade does it scrape your hand as you reach into your pocket past the knife? Does that make sense? I have that issue with my original paramilitary. The issue was fixed when the pm 2 came out but it makes my pm 1 really uncomfortable to carry.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

That’s a beauty! Enjoy it in good health. I seriously can’t wait for the Ayoob.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nice marmot wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:52 pm
David,

Just an observation. With the tip down carry and the jimping at the top of the blade does it scrape your hand as you reach into your pocket past the knife? Does that make sense? I have that issue with my original paramilitary. The issue was fixed when the pm 2 came out but it makes my pm 1 really uncomfortable to carry.

I haven't really tried it much yet but I'll get back to ya. I know exactly what you mean, sometimes a Military will get me in the same way, and my Centofante 4 used to do it too. It hasn't had much pocket time yet. Word is the new version will have 4 way clip options so this will hopefully be a thing of the past.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:30 pm
I'm so envious!!!

Ha, yeah it's pretty but the price was pretty steep for a used knife too. I've been watching for one to pop up for sale for probably two years now but they're usually plain edge and usually too nice and are priced way too high for me because this knife will absolutely get used so I have a hard time paying ~$300+ for a perfect collector quality knife that I'll just use and "ruin". This one has a good amount of visible wear, the corners of the Almite coating are showing wear along the handle edges and corners, but the serrations are pretty much perfect and the lockup is near perfect so it's a good knife to use guilt free if that makes sense.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nice marmot wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:52 pm
David,

I'd say the potential is definitely there, but also depends just as much on the pants you wear and how wide the pocket opening is. On these Levi's I've got plenty of room to get my hand into that pocket, and whole my hand does rub the knife I feel way more of that handle hook than I do the blade jimping. I'll be carrying it today so I'll see how it goes. I'll also try it out in my work pants later which have a side pocket like most slacks use.

Besides that, it really does disappear in your pocket. The curve of the handle definitely makes it more pocket ergonomic.
~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's actually perfect. I'd rather have a knife like that than a collector grade. All my knives are users.
Evil D wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:49 am
bearrowland wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:30 pm
I'm so envious!!!

Ha, yeah it's pretty but the price was pretty steep for a used knife too. I've been watching for one to pop up for sale for probably two years now but they're usually plain edge and usually too nice and are priced way too high for me because this knife will absolutely get used so I have a hard time paying ~$300+ for a perfect collector quality knife that I'll just use and "ruin". This one has a good amount of visible wear, the corners of the Almite coating are showing wear along the handle edges and corners, but the serrations are pretty much perfect and the lockup is near perfect so it's a good knife to use guilt free if that makes sense.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's just so good. JD has been right all these years pushing to get this one brought back.

As far as unusual designs go I think the only other knife that may rival this one for me (if I could get one in SE) is a Ulize. They have some similarities when you get them side by side.

But, the Ayoob is still king of negative blade angles when you hold them side by side.

~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:44 am
It's just so good. JD has been right all these years pushing to get this one brought back.

As far as unusual designs go I think the only other knife that may rival this one for me (if I could get one in SE) is a Ulize. They have some similarities when you get them side by side.

But, the Ayoob is still king of negative blade angles when you hold them side by side.

Ahh. The two other (unremarked) Police models. I, too, am glad to have them.

Glad you got an Ayoob in SE. I know you’ve been wanting one forever.

I’m late to the weird blades, and I don’t default to SE blades as you do. My Ayoob is the PE sprint, and is what Mas wanted for the original as I understand it.

In any case, I sought the PE to learn what severe negative angle alone brings to the party. Now that I know, I’m curious to see how SE improves the awesome cutting power of that angle.

I’ll be looking for an SE Ayoob when the new ones drop, and, like you, I hope the points are rounder.

And, absolutely, all kudos to JD for making the new Ayoob happen…and to benben for enthusing Mas.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:29 pm
In any case, I sought the PE to learn what severe negative angle alone brings to the party. Now that I know, I’m curious to see how SE improves the awesome cutting power of that angle.

From what I've seen so far, it functions something oddly similar to how a hawkbill does, at least closer to the pivot. In other words it gets a lot of leverage in pull cuts despite having such an upsweep in the blade.

What's so fascinating to me is how much belly this blade has while still having a very usable tip. The combination of negative blade angle and all that belly work together so well it's silly. You may not find yourself chopping carrots with it but it has no problem getting a good amount of the edge onto flat surfaces. I usually steer clear of designs with a lot of belly because they usually put the blade tip so high that it becomes a pain to get the tip down onto a surface, but this design remedies that issue and even makes it work better than other more common blade shapes.

I'm also a little surprised with the overall dimensions. In pictures it looks like it's all handle with a small blade but it has around 1/4 inch less edge length than my Caribbean and the underside grip length is almost exactly the same as a Caribbean which I didn't expect.

Tonight I took it apart (well, I took the clip off and the blade out) and gave it a thorough cleaning. The pivot was really gritty, almost like it had metal shavings inside it. I greased the pivot and the action is surprisingly good for a non bushing pivot without any washers and the lockup is excellent. I think going with the original maker was a smart choice if they can still produce this level of fit and finish.

Random thought, I'm not sure where they'll mount the clip for tip up. If they don't move the bottom scale pin or lanyard hole, the clip will probably end up mounted next to that pin, below the lanyard hole which some people won't like because it'll leave a good half inch of handle out of your pocket. On the other hand if anyone makes a deep carry clip that fits this old 3 hole clip (or if they change the clip screw hole pattern altogether) then it shouldn't be a problem.

Lastly for whoever cares, I can middle finger flick it but it's not easy. You need to really send it or the blade won't make it into locked position. Most of the time I only make to about 90% open.
~David
benben

Post by benben »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:29 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:44 am

Ahh. The two other (unremarked) Police models. I, too, am glad to have them.

Glad you got an Ayoob in SE. I know you’ve been wanting one forever.

I’m late to the weird blades, and I don’t default to SE blades as you do. My Ayoob is the PE sprint, and is what Mas wanted for the original as I understand it.

I’ll be looking for an SE Ayoob when the new ones drop, and, like you, I hope the points are rounder.

And, absolutely, all kudos to JD for making the new Ayoob happen…and to benben for enthusing Mas.
Thank you sir but this is JD’s baby, I do appreciate it though!

David, love how the Almite is wearing on those aluminum scales, before I’d never think of buying a knife with aluminum handles but my Ayoob actually feels great in hand, has that warm feel like titanium.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

man i want one of these. please in a steel that's attractive and a price that isn't atrocious.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I want an SE for my duty/EDC knife so much! That is one cool looking knife!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The "Tip up, Tip down" issue has never really been a determining factor for me at all over the years. Because particularly with this C-60 Ayoob model it is so ergonomically perfect in so many ways that I don't find the "Tip Up, Tip Down" option to be any type of advantage or disadvantage for me personally. Especially for this C-60 model pertaining to most EDC uses. Oh sure there are those that would who would take issue with that factor and to some guys they like what they like out of habit and previous experience. Hey if it works then it works!!

In David's case I think he'll find that the C-60 in full SE is such an aggressive cutter that it won't make much, if any difference at all. I'm so happy that he was able to get an original full SE version of this great classic. Knowing my pal Evil D I'm sure that full SE Ayoob will have many miles on it by next Spring time. Congratulations are certainly in order.

I do remember that Doc Snubnose said a few years back that the C-60 Ayoob in full SE was the best of all of Spyderco's full SE models.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's the edge I want!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:23 pm
I don't find the "Tip Up, Tip Down" option to be any type of advantage or disadvantage for me personally.

Funny you mentioned this, I did recently discover one advantage on some knives and I even took some pics the other day showing it. For super thin metal handles there's a major advantage to having the clip on the bottom of the handle, it provides a lot of grip traction during opening....

Here's my stainless Police, that I have set for tip up for this exact reason.

With the Ayoob, I can get it opened but there is definitely a difference in how well I can handle the handle. I find that I have to basically squeeze the knife harder and press my fingers into the scale harder to get traction.

This seems to be more of an issue with smooth metal handles, because this has never occurred to me before with the Military, as the G10 gives enough grip that there is no slipping. However, the Military is also a liner lock and takes significantly less force to open, so I could see how even a G10 Ayoob may benefit in this way.

You can even see in that last pic I tend to grip the edge of the scale to get more traction, so maybe tip up on a Military would benefit from this too. On my Police 4 I've caught myself doing a combination of using the clip for leverage and the edge of the scale depending on where my fingers grab first. On the Ayoob if I just pick up the knife and try not to think about it and open it naturally, my fingers look for the edge of the scale but ultimately also press against the side of the blade while opening. The clip placement on the stainless Police is in a sweet spot close enough to the edge of the scale that I get traction on both.

Now, don't ask me how the shape of the Ayoob handle is going to work in tip up, especially with the lanyard hole and scale pin where they are at the bottom of the handle. Maybe this new version will see some kind of CQI that moves the lanyard hole or something.
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i always use my fingers on the clip for leverage when opening. that's one of the things that makes opening left handed more difficult for me. obviously, it's doable... we're not talking about a massive amount of leverage or strength needed. it's just helpful to have the clip there.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:19 pm
That's the edge I want!
It's been nothing short of amazing to me that many of the people on this thread have cast their support for the return of the full Spyderedged version of this Sprint Run C-60. I just don't recall that much support for a full SE model on any previous Sprint Run ever done in the past. If it happened that way please let me know.

I would also like to add that most suggestions about the upcoming C-60 Ayoob model had to do with more improved function rather than aesthetic appeal. The C-60 may be the most requested full SE Sprint Run up till now. It's pretty close to 50-50 for all the requests of the SE and PE both. I don't ever remember that happening before.