Your 2021 Spyderco Knife of the Year !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: Your 2021 Spyderco Knife of the Year !

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:53 am
kobold wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:13 am
But the Rex45 Chief in the kitchen is used many times a day and the S90V Chief as a utility knife is also used daily. ...
Cool that you use your Chief in the kitchen!
Must be a decent performer on food (for an EDC pocket knife).

I like to use my Spydies in the kitchen too (though rather occasionally and not "many times a day").

And while performancewise Endura and Stretch 1 are the best ones here among my choices, I actually most often also grab my only REX45 knife, the Manix 2LW.
I like how it slowly gets a nice natural patina by that (though I am almost a bit "disappointed" HOW slowly and just very suble this happens with REX45... in my experience a lot more stainless than they say).

The fine tip on the Chief is very nice to have in the kitchen, it keeps the edge for a long time and the construction feels strong enough to transfer cutting power confidently when needed.
A nice patina is one of those small, intangible rewards we get with certain steels. I agree, Rex45 seems stainless enough, at least far away from the sea/ocean. But I expected more and faster patina from my Sage Maxamet too.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Between the Endura/Stretch/Endela in K390... it's this one for 2021. I didn't think I'd like the straight spine on it but it has grown on me :usflag

DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

I have two…

As a user, the P4 K390 in PE. It’s my duty cut everything knife, and it is amazing.

As a weekend off duty knife, the REC Shaman. I love carrying and using this baby, and it even matches my HK VP9 in OD green.

Looking forward to 2022!
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

k390 Endela seems to be a popular mention. Good to see.

Searching back through my emails, I was surprised how few I bought this year. 2020/21 is a blurry line in the sand. Contenders are k390 Endela, Rockjumper PE, and my only truly every day carry, the day glow orange Dragonfly2 in VG-10. Love that thing. Bought it more like a year and a half ago, but time is a flat circle these days, so I'm counting it.

Buuuut, just acquired a Hap-40 Endura last week. The one model I thought I'd never like, thought would be too big and unwieldy, read too much bellyaching about the handle bump. But then I tried the Chief on a whim. Didn't warm to the model like so many here have, but I did come around to the blade length (I was that guy who first thought the PM2/Endela was too big). For some reason, the Endura started making sense.

I had never experienced what I have read often here, of "love at first grip" with a knife until I tried the Endura. What I had read was an annoying, have-to-sand-down handle bump fits me perfectly. Index and middle fingers comfortably in the first handle scallop, not too cramped, not pushed too forward as to cramp the thumb on the ramp. Roomy back end of the handle but not too much wasted space. Can choke back on it nicely for more forceful cuts. Contoured edges. Always loved the Seki FRN texturing. A blade stock which in my opinion is too thick for the Endela, that tapers down nicely towards the tip due to the extra blade length. Good thickness behind the edge. Not too long where I can't get my index finger reasonably close to the tip, but plenty of edge to handle any task I encounter. Appreciating the patina that's already forming, and don't mind at all the light scratches on the cladding, gives it character. Such a pleasant surprise, the Endura. May end up my number one, especially when paired with my go-to orange DF2.

Not official yet, but that's where it's heading...
SquidS110V

Post by SquidS110V »

Gotta be the Canis for me. Didn’t think I’d like it at first, but the ergos are money and that wharncliffe is stellar. I’m also a sucker for compound grinds.
Spyderco :bug-red-white fanatic
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

The smkw para 2 in satin and M4. Y’all can have all the micarta and cruwear. This is where it is at for me.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sage 1 Maxamet. It's my at home EDC for a couple months now. It's so sharp, and keeps its sharpness ever since.

My Slysz Bowie, which had this role for years, is taking a break, yet hasn't found its way into the drawer where all the less frequently used Spydies. It'll come back. Titanium rules, even over G10. ;)

But for now the G10 S1 is the #1 user.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I did complete my set of Chaparral folders this year with the Sun & Moon and Birdseye Maple models. However, my knife of the year honors goes to Salt2 LC200N Wharncliffe SpyderEdge. Legal in those areas with 3” blade length limitations and ideal for cutting through the toughest hard plastic packages, seat belts and jeans. Initially, I had wanted a Swick5 LC200N Wharncliffe SpyderEdge for those purposes but couldn’t wait.
Last edited by RamZar on Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I don't think I own mine yet...Maybe Nov 17?
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

Kapara.
Andrew
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Native 5 Salt. Changed my whole perspective on FRN and Yellow knives. Tough little knife that is super easy to sharpen and low maintenance
Just one more knife...
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

1. Firefly
2. Pingo Ti
3. lil Lum Nishijin

Small knives from Spyderco have been my favourites (yesterday, I gifted a PM2 S35vn to a friend).

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Kapara 20CV - Fit and finish are stunning
Native Chief M4 or XHP - a real cutter
Smock M4 - fun fidget factor
Stretch 2 K390 - PM2 LW killer?
Dragonfly Salt Hawkbill SE - so useful and pocketable
Edit. Forgot the Autonomy 2 SE was in the sock drawer.
Last edited by Superflex on Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

For me, I think it's a tie between the Yojimbo 2 and the Watu. Both intrigued me with their designs, and I love a wharncliffe or near-wharncliffe blade. The Yojimbo surprised me with what a fine and comfortable EDC knife it is. I've even used it for food prep. Similarly, the Watu exceeded my expectations, being comfortable and capable for a variety of uses.

I guess the lesson is to keep an open mind on knives that might seem a little out of the mainstream.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

UKPK Salt, for me. Definitely the most interesting knife I bought this year. A very good design, and super light. It is my favorite knife to keep in a jersey pocket while cycling.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

I love my SALT dragonfly 2 with H1 steel, straight edge. I live on an island and go fishing frequently. I filleted bait fish with it the day I forgot my fillet knife. it clips on to my beltloop so when I go into the saltwater - it doesnt matter. H1 baby!

Small enough that it doesn't freak the knife unfriendly's out there. It is my EDC and knife of the year :)
(close runner up is the benchmade minifreek in s90v, but its a spyderco forum, and I really do love my little yellow partner in life.
Alex
Scientia et pax
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I was hoping to drive some hard data at the end of the year . This can’t happen which is really funny reading from everyone listing multiple knives and can’t decide which one . I must admit this has been a fun ride . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Top spot this year for me would be the Endela. I think I got it in January in K390. I'm relatively new to Spyderco. It was my first Seki model. Started my love affair with FRN and back locks after being a compression lock G10 fan. Still am, but the LWs dominate my pockets. I topped this year off with a 20cv version of the Endela. Between the 2 they probably see the most pocket time.

Runners up would be the Rock Jumper and Manix 2 LW SPY27.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

The easy answer would be the Manix 2. Great knife, nearly perfect, can't go wrong with it.

Then I thought about the Stretch 2. The straight spine version in K390. Really came to like this knife, and steel.

But if I am honest to myself, the knife of the year has to be the UKPK salt. I can't tell you why this little knife works, but it does, and that very well. Sure, for yard work it is not up there, but for most every day tasks it is just beautiful. Plus, I can carry it legally. That's not the main reason, I really like it but is a very welcome bonus.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm pretty jazzed about the Z-Wear Mule.

The Purple Monster CruWear Manix ain't bad either. Great steel in a great design, regardless of the color combo.

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189