We need more Millie’s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

Re: We need more Millie’s

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Ranger Jon:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

blueblur wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:15 pm
Yes, we definitely need more Millie’s. I’d love to have one in 4V, especially in the St. Nicks flavor, but I think we’re also way past due a CQI Cruwear version and of course, I’d love to see one in Magna cut. A micarta Cruwear version would be a huge hit as well.

There is definitely a St. Nick's one coming. When that will be is anyone's guess. Their Chief was supposed to drop back in July...so that isn't too reassuring
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
FK

Post by FK »

My first Military was in the late 1990's in CPM 440V, had 3 of them including the Spyderco Forum 2000 special with inlayed MOP bug in the G-10. Foolishly sold them off in favor of Sebenza. Quickly became tired of thumb shredding pins in blade for opening.

Presently have nice collection of early models as well as CQI steel variations.
I agree the C36 is one of the Spyderco classic models and I will add to modest collection when a new run is produced.
Please no compression lock,,, retain the classic liner lock we all enjoy.

Regards,
FK
Last edited by FK on Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Absolutely. I can’t wait for a Crucarta Military.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Admittedly I had only one single Millie. A "basic" S30V one, but with custom zirikote wood scales.

I´ll probably forever regret that I sold it eventually.
Reason was, that I generally try to keep my collection (= all users) to 10 pieces at each point in time, so that I really get to use each knife, and also have funds for buying and trying other/new models.
Now back then I decided that my Enduras did all for me that the Millie could, but have some - for me - advantages over it:
Shorter in pocket, a bit lighter, FRN, tip up carry and backlock (nowadays the linerlock has become my favorite just in operation, this was not the case back then. (And overall the backlock is still my fav.))

But still: The Endura is great in its own way, but not a Millie, and I really want to get another one (and never part with it again... :smiling-hearts :beaming-face ) eventually.
Micarta and a nice tool steel would be my favorite Millie combo, but as discussed in other threads: Micarta would probably also mean full liners, which would take one of the nice Millie-features away: The light weight.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FFG45

Post by FFG45 »

I would love to see a DLC coated, completely blacked out hardware, black or even Jade G10 handled K390 Millie. Sign me up please!
FK

Post by FK »

I agree, a full liner both sides to accommodate the micarta would be a backwards step in design.

Regards,
FK
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would like one in all-black and S45VN blade steel, instead of the current S30V. Although I do like S30V, I already have enough blades in that steel. Or better yet, in Magnacut, especially if the price isn’t raised significantly over what it is now. I’ll add that I hope for the same with the Native Chief. But I don’t know when or if that will ever happen.

Jim
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

I dont currently have any millie models, but I agree they need more attention and that I am a huge fan of them.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I’d have a fleet of Millies if they weren’t liner locks. I keep hoping this whole Millie2 comp lock idea gets some traction, but for now I’ll stick with my Native Chiefs and Police 4s.
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Burton Knut wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 am
I’d have a fleet of Millies if they weren’t liner locks. I keep hoping this whole Millie2 comp lock idea gets some traction, but for now I’ll stick with my Native Chiefs and Police 4s.
I have to ask; have you ever tried one? I was skeptical at first, just because I’ve tried liner locks from a couple of other brands and I didn’t like them. Once I picked up a Military, I realized it’s completely different. My only regret is not trying one sooner.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The liner lock isn't my favorite, but I'm extremely skeptical about a Military with a compression lock. We've had this debate soooooo many times, I guess any Military discussion ultimately boils down to this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

FK wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:48 am
I agree, a full liner both sides to accommodate the micarta would be a backwards step in design.

Regards,
FK

I disagree. You just have to consider it as a separate and distinct model. You may prefer the original, but MANY will be more than ok with the liners if it means they get a Cru-carta Military.

I personally think the Cru-carta PM2 was a major upgrade with the liners. It's the only PM2 I own and the only one I care to own.

I'd also be all in on Cru-carta Endelas, Enduras, and Delicas with liners even though I love my FRN versions of those models. I'd carry them all on different occasions.

Nothing wrong with a beefier knife paired with a tough steel and rugged scale material. Makes a lot of sense actually.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Nuh Nups wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:16 am
Burton Knut wrote:
I have to ask; have you ever tried one? I was skeptical at first, just because I’ve tried liner locks from a couple of other brands and I didn’t like them. Once I picked up a Military, I realized it’s completely different. My only regret is not trying one sooner.
I have tried a couple, mostly because of all the fans on here, but for me it was still “just a liner lock” and I turned around and sold both within a couple days of getting them.

What’s the concern with having a compression lock on the Millie? Honestly I’d try a back lock (but at that size it might get ergonomically awkward) or a CBBL (if that’s even possible in the design.) I’m in for anything except liner/frame locks.
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Burton Knut wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 am
Nuh Nups wrote:
Burton Knut wrote:
I have tried a couple, mostly because of all the fans on here, but for me it was still “just a liner lock” and I turned around and sold both within a couple days of getting them.

What’s the concern with having a compression lock on the Millie? Honestly I’d try a back lock (but at that size it might get ergonomically awkward) or a CBBL (if that’s even possible in the design.) I’m in for anything except liner/frame locks.
I’m sure others will chime in but one reason I like the current version is how well it works while I’m wearing work gloves. A back lock works for me too but a compression lock just doesn’t work as well for me when wearing gloves.

Glad to hear you’ve tried the Millie, even if it wasn’t your thing.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I think we don’t need more Millies, at least in the sense most mean it.

I think what we need is a basic Millie that is always available. The recent Exclusive excess has undermined availability by clogging production schedules.

Then we need Spyderco to release new Millies from time to time, just to appease (and surprise) us afis (aka ambassadors…).

From what we afis say we want, let Spyderco judge what and how many units to release on a flash-batch scale.

On this scale, Spyderco should be able to gauge a match appropriate to the level of enthusiasm and thus avoid a financial loss (if not make a modest profit) what with a very brief time on the production line.

But afis will need to put up or shut up. Steels and scales du jour cost more in small runs.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Burton Knut wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 am
Nuh Nups wrote:
Burton Knut wrote:
I have tried a couple...

...I turned around and sold both within a couple days of getting them.
I think we have different definitions of trying something.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FK

Post by FK »

My problem with compression lock Military models is that it will take away from production capacity for the traditional CQI liner locks.

Regards,
FK
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I have been carrying a Military on and off for 20 plus years. It wasn't until the last few years I decided that it really might be the perfect knife for me. Once I decided that I went out and got one in S110V even though I have several other Millies. I am pretty set on this being my main carry knife for years to come. That said I would also like to see some more Military's in some super stainless steels to try out.

Don't change the Military either, it is perfect as a light weight liner lock.

My point being I agree and make some more Millies!!!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Sal, can you please please please tell us if we will see a new military in 2022?!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”