Favorite small spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Christian Noble

Re: Favorite small spyderco

Post by Christian Noble »

I am in the two is one, one is none club. Big knife always on my person is Salt 2 or Pacific Salt. Favorite small knife is Ladybug, VERY capable at 0.6 oz. Bad things usually happen when all you have on you is what’s on your person.

On the Ladybug, my ‘lanyard’ converts to a necklace from daisy-chained 225 cord with a ceramic-scraper and shoelace ferrocerium rod.

Gun analogy previously mentioned is interesting. For me a ladybug would be like a Sig P365 or Glock 43, a micro subcompact. Dragonfly = subcompact, Delica = compact, etc.
pngeezer

Post by pngeezer »

Looks like no love for the Cat! Seriously stout little knife, and with BDN1 steel and under $70 it's a great
:bug-red Native 5 LW Spy27, Cat, Delica, Sage 5LW S30V :bug-red-white
Holland

Post by Holland »

My favourites are definitely the DFly 2 (either K390 or H1 SE) or Chaparral 1.

I'll reach for the chaparral 1 if I think I'll need to cut a bunch of stuff in a public setting (like helping people move for example).

I'll reach for the dragonfly if I dont expect to need to cut much and I'm in a public setting.

The colors and size make the dragonfly a lot more friendly with non knife people.

I've tried the ladybug and man bug and I dont like that I cant get 4 fingers on the handle. Dragonfly is small and is comfortable to use for extended periods if necessary.
20211127_104654_copy_1823x1280.jpg
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I really like those lanyards!
Christian Noble wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:25 am
I am in the two is one, one is none club. Big knife always on my person is Salt 2 or Pacific Salt. Favorite small knife is Ladybug, VERY capable at 0.6 oz. Bad things usually happen when all you have on you is what’s on your person.

On the Ladybug, my ‘lanyard’ converts to a necklace from daisy-chained 225 cord with a ceramic-scraper and shoelace ferrocerium rod.

Gun analogy previously mentioned is interesting. For me a ladybug would be like a Sig P365 or Glock 43, a micro subcompact. Dragonfly = subcompact, Delica = compact, etc.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Sal, in answer to your question, I like carrying the Delica because it fits my hand well while still being small enough to be easily concealable. That, and I like that it's an older design too.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pngeezer,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

More of these please

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

For me, a small folder has a maximum blade length of 3 inches due to legal restrictions. My comfort zone for carrying is a blade length of 2.75”-2.99”, a blade thickness of 0.08”-0.125” and weighing 3.5 ounces or less. My favorites in order of preference: Brouwer, Chaparral, Native5, Sage, SpyOpera, Salt2, Delica4.

In a separate subcategory I carry a very handy ManBug H1 Sheepsfoot SpyderEdge on my keychain and if a ManBug LC200N Wharncliffe SpyderEdge became available I’d opt for that instead.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Hi Sal,
Very cool to see that this topic engages you.

The DF2 is not only my favorite small knife, but pretty much a favorite overall.
For me it boils down to how much knife I get in that tiny weightless package.
It’s the most capable knife I can carry without noticing it, no matter the attire. Anything from bathing shorts to a suit - it just disappears until I need it.
On top of its stealth like carry I get a full grip, great ergos and operation, and a thin super slicy blade.
And like someone else mentioned, it has a really interesting visual expression that’s quite different from everything else.

It was my first spyderco (bought together with two others), but it didn’t rise to the top until quite recently. I had to get a Manbug Salt (also a great smallie, btw) first to show me how well it works to carry clipless.
The FRN DF2’s will usually ride in the bottom of my back pocket, unless I’m wearing a shorts or something without a RBP. The exception being the KC pakkawood exclusive, which is too slick, so it goes in the watch pocket.

I hear you on the wharncliffe. I’m sooooo ready to get a wharnie DF2, but I’m patiently holding off for the K390 version.
If I stare hard into my crystal ball, I can even see a hawkbill in my not too distant future.
Matus

Post by Matus »

My first small Spyderco was D’fly in AS. Great little knife. I however always found the handle a little too narrow, but at that combination of size and weight I really could not complain. Sadly, I lost it long time ago.

Not so long ago I tried the Lil’Native. Overall design is excellent, but I could not make that compression lock work for me and the blade was just a bit too chubby for my taste.

Then the Urban got on my radar and I nearly got the recent Heinie S90V one, but the mixed user feedback made me unsure. So I passed. Finally I broke down and got the basic N690Co version - and it was love upon first touch. Fantastic ergos, very strong and very well designed spring give it a very safe feel. The blade shape is very practical too. Soon after I started to hunt down a k390 version and now have one on the way. I am super excited about it.

So long story short - the superb economics of the Urban and the very usable blade makes it my favorite small Spyderco. I would actually wish it would come out also as a compression lock version.
Last edited by Matus on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Sal - the smallest Spyderco I currently own is a Dragonfly 2. Without blowing smoke up your tuchus, I honestly think it's among the best, and most unique small modern locking knife designs available. I have real big hands, and still find it comfortable and effective to use hard, thanks to the handle and choil design. I also think the blade shape at this size is almost ideal. It's obviously no wharncliffe, but the leaf-point on such a short, angled blade sure works like one. I also happen to think it's one of the most attractive blade shapes in the entire SC lineup.

Put it this way, when I moved last summer, of everything I had available to me, I chose to carry the DF2. I packed everything else up knowing that was it for at least another fortnight and that it was going to a lot of heavy and varied cutting from boxes to rope to food. It excelled.

I love small knives. And again, I say this as someone whose first 'good' knife was BK-9 that I'm still crazy about and use all the time. The reality though is a well-built 2-3in blade does almost everything I could ever require of a general purpose knife other than serious food prep/cutting a loaf of bread. Spyderco's small knives melt into a pocket in terms of both weight and bulk/real estate. Beyond that, I think small knives present intrinsic design challenges that are a lot more exciting to see overcome in creative, useful, and aesthetically appealing ways. I love seeing a small knife that's well designed, it's almost always more exciting than any well-made 4/5in+ knife.

I've been carrying my ZDP Stretch 2 since I got it and it *excells* at everything other than being small. It's not afraid of any job. I love the lines, color, the incredible comfort, and without a doubt having all that handle real estate feels luxurious compared to my smaller knives, but if I had to stick with my Wolfspyder or DF2 or a similarly small folder exclusively I wouldn't bat an eye. That said, I'm getting my partner a Chicago soon, and will almost certainly pick up a Chap somewhere down the road. I'm excited to see how they work out compared with the DF2. Keep the little guys coming!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'll second that Sal....keep cranking out the small knives!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Most of my favorite Spyderco's are their smaller models:
Ti Squeak (Still kicking myself for selling it)

Co-Pilot

Dragonfly

Manbug

Ladybug.

Out of all those, I'd probably have to go with the Dragonfly as the overall favorite. Though I'm not a fan of designs that rely on choils, the Dragonfly was comfortable enough to use for extended periods if it was necessary. It also carried well in the bottom of a pocket, and was easily forgotten there. It's one of the few models that still uses solid, unlined FRN handles, which is always a plus in my book.

The Manbug and Ladybugs are great, but I always felt the Dragonfly could handle heavier chores than either of those two if it came down to it. It's not even the blade size, since the Manbug blade is only fractions of an inch shorter than that of the DF, but the handle size. The DF handle just fills the hand a bit better.

The Co-Pilot it probably second behind the Dragonfly, I just wish it had FRN handles instead of the stainless.

The Ti Squeak felt great in the hand, I think it was mainly the blade shape that bugged me. I always wished it was just a bit pointier.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Lil Nilakka I got for my wedding suit is probably my favorite little knife.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Chaparral and dragonfly are competing.

Chaparral is more usefull due to the slightly longer bladelength and that is also its weakness against the dragonfly.

Can't hold any smaller than that
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Sal,
I agree with your two knife philosphy, living in a urban area I find the vast majority of people are freaked out by something as "big" as a Delica! Yes freaked out, not an overstatement. I once had an older gentleman ask why I needed a "weapon" like that when I used a Dragonfly to open a package! And he hadn't even seen it! He was behind me. When I showed it to him and asked "This is a weapon?" his answer was "I bet it's sharp". ?!? I think just hearing the snap of it opening and the fact I did it one handed was all it took. So yes, I carry a "public" knife.

As to why I like the small knife I like, the Co Pilot, I find it extremely comfortable even in my xl glove size hand. That's why I joined, just to start the thread I did asking to have it brought back.
Thanks.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My 2 small knives are the Rhino & Chaparral LW

Chaparral LW sees a lot of carry at work. It's slim, light, and not too noticeable carried in my work khakis. Slicy thin blade makes short work of any hospital office cutting jobs.

Rhino also sees some work carry, and a good bit of around the town carry. Swapped out the pocketclip for a BM Bugout clip so it sits low in my pocket. More than enough for most of my cutting needs, and a strong lock to boot.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well Sal asked for some elaboration, so here's why I chose a Pacific Salt.

First of all I can't recall ever being in a situation where someone seemed offended at the size of my knife. So that isn't something I need to take into consideration where I live. My knife size choices come down solely to my preferences, since I face no social or legal pressure to do otherwise. That's just the culture here.

I spent my first couple of years as a Spyderco fan being convinced by threads like this that I did need to let these thoughts dictate my EDC. So I spent years and lots of $$ trying out different smaller knives.

Salsa. UKPK. Caly 3, 3.5 & jr. Delicas. Ladybugs. Sage 1. T-Mag. Spin. Para 2 & 3. Natives. Jigged bone Micro-dyad. Bug. Tasman Salt.

This was in addition to the small knives I already owned, like Victorinox Classics & Ramblers, and the Leatherman Micra.

As a teen I'd usually carry a Buck 110 and a Victorinox Classic on my keys. I never thought twice about using the 110 for anything outside of school, where I never used it for obvious reasons. Never had any issues when I carried a Buck.

It wasn't until I started reading knife forums that I second guessed myself.

Over the years I came to realize no one cared what I carried, so I went back to simply carrying what I wanted, instead of what I imagined was socially acceptable.

Turns out no one appears to notice the difference between, say, a UKPK and a Military. Which was my EDC for a while. Millie IWB for when needed, UKPK for the day to day tasks.

Soz, PacificSalt. Not small by most peoples standards. But it's the smallest Spyderco I've used that doesn't feel like an ergonomic compromise to me. It is the smallest knifeI regularly carry. No, in the grand scheme of things it isn't a small knife like a ladybug, but it's small to me compared to a Police or Yojumbo.

Smaller than that and I feel I'm compromising what I want to carry for the sake of something that doesn't apply to this part of the world.

The Pacific Salt is small and light enough I see no advantages to carrying something smaller. There has never been a time I've wished for something smaller or lighter on my person. I've clipped one to my waistband when running up and down mountain trails trying to break my record times. I've carried one on multiple ultralight bike tours. The 2.5-3oz weight doesn't slow me down or ever feel cumbersome, and the size is just short enough carrying them IWB always feels comfortable.

I usually have a Leatherman Micra on my these days, which replaced the Classics for me before Spydercos replaced the Buck 110's. But I couldn't tell you the last time I used the blade. It's easier and faster for my XL-XXL hands to manipulate a larger folder with one handed opening.
:unicorn
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

Spyderco Air. Still hoping for a sprint run, for example in K390.
Attachments
98CD9BFB-4386-4196-ACD5-A6FA3B30974A.jpeg
The Robin

Post by The Robin »

Urban for me