Spyderco Forum Engagement Down

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Spyderco Forum Engagement Down

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:07 pm
SpyderLine wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:11 pm
That does seem like a really cool thread! It's a shame that it died. Maybe it could be revived?
if i'm honest, seeing some of the results for the calendar contest the last two years has been a little discouraging and made me less interested in photographing my knives overall.
Yes, now that it's over and we can't be penalized...there's been some MAJOR headscratchers the past couple years...MAJOR
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:16 pm
Part of it may be the format. This is an old timers format. Smart people can be found here but not too many young ones. Tech savvy and younger people would rather be on instagram or or youtube or FB etcetera.

This is unfortunately a painful fact. The Facebook page sees a lot of traffic.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I began here in 2004, then stayed away almost completely until late 2018. So my engagement here in that time span was virtually zero.

I'm not as anxious as many others here are for new releases and sprints, and I don't buy many knives anymore, anyway. Also, compared to other members here, I don't have much of value to contribute in the general discussion forum, so I mostly post whatever strikes my fancy in the Off Topic forum.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:40 pm
I began here in 2004, then stayed away almost completely until late 2018. So my engagement here in that time span was virtually zero.

I'm not as anxious as many others here are for new releases and sprints, and I don't buy many knives anymore, anyway. Also, compared to other members here, I don't have much of value to contribute in the general discussion forum, so I mostly post what I feel like posting in the Off Topic forum.

Jim
You're definitely one of the main contributors to Off Topic, and I thoroughly enjoy some of the links and videos you post! Off Topic has become one of my personal favorites to check on a daily basis. :cheap-sunglasses

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks, Rick! 🙂

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:20 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:07 pm
SpyderLine wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:11 pm
That does seem like a really cool thread! It's a shame that it died. Maybe it could be revived?
if i'm honest, seeing some of the results for the calendar contest the last two years has been a little discouraging and made me less interested in photographing my knives overall.
Yes, now that it's over and we can't be penalized...there's been some MAJOR headscratchers the past couple years...MAJOR
i don't really care about being penalized, personally. i'm more concerned with coming off as a jerk, which i definitely don't want to do, so i typically try to keep it to myself. i'm not trying to put anyone down or criticize their images. i don't think my photos are amazing, but i do see some photos that are clearly not great get chosen over objectively better images and i don't get it. ultimately, it's up to spyderco and i can appreciate that. that doesn't mean it's not discouraging.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:16 pm
Part of it may be the format. This is an old timers format. Smart people can be found here but not too many young ones. Tech savvy and younger people would rather be on instagram or or youtube or FB etcetera.
I don't entirely agree.
I'm not especially old nor too lost behind a keyboard, but I still believe that if you can find a good forum on the topic you're interested in (like this one), it way outperforms the SOME platforms available today.
Sure, the threshold to enter and participate is a lot lower on instagram and facebook, but the flip side of that is a lot of very low quality content. That is a big turn off once you get serious about a topic.
Another problem is fragmentation of information. On FB, which is really the only real alternative to internet forums, there are duplicate groups created every other day for any topic imaginable, and even if you remember in which group you read an interesting post, it is next to impossible to ever locate it later if you want to look up that info again.
Instagram is primarily for creators to brag and consumers to be inspired (at best, most are probably there to inadvertently boost their misery). It's not a platform for deep discussions and sharing of knowledge and skill.
YouTube is slightly different. YouTube at it's best is really good for sharing knowledge and skills, but I see it' as a supplement to forums rather than a replacement.

What is true, but I don't know if it was implied in your comment, is that even among internet forums, this platform is showing its age.
A better layout with categories and sub categories would make navigation and resource acquisition way easier. This (as any good forum) is an immensely useful knowledge base, and although google site search can get you a long way, it's not intuitive for everyone. Unfortunately.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

It’s not all one answer but instagram is probably the format that the younger knife people are engaging in most. This is the best place for consolidation of information and knowledge about Spyderco for me. Smaller Knife makers drop knives on IG and they are gone in an instant. Having the most people is not necessary the best thing but it is good to have the young crowd engaged in this forum. Perhaps the other platforms can be used to direct people here to have a full spectrum of the market. I see a lot more younger guys carrying expensive knives with their “Single persons money” that I know have been driven by instagram on the choices of their blades and getting into customs and modded knives.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mine's down too. Mostly because I recently cut way down on the amount of time I spend online. I used to check the Forum throughout the day but now it's mostly evenings, sometimes in the morning for a short time.

Also with the knowledge and experience gained over the past few years, my focus has narrowed. I know more what I like and don't like. And I've already got knives to fill pretty much every niche.

Also, other hobbies have been competing for funds.

But even though I don't post as much I still like seeing what's happening here. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Personally I just have less time. But also the knives I have sorta fill all my needs, the ukpk salt and the waterway fill all my dirty needs, the watu fills all of my edc needs, and the caribbean fills all of my work needs. Everything else is extra.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
SG89

Post by SG89 »

When a new model pops up the engagement will go back up.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

There could be a correlation with the global supply woes and the release of new designs. New products drives new interest.

I still have plenty of spydies on my wishlist and this forum has a ton of great information and support.

The fact that spyderco staff are regularly active in the forum really helps drive participation and helps the brand. I have seen Sal post quite often. Does Eric participate in the forum?
Just one more knife...
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I love the people on here more than any other reason, and I think Spyderco is a first class operation. That being said, I'm only active on here and one other forum, both knife related. I've found my ideal EDC, my PM2. In so many cases, the excitement factor is that next purchase. I've found contentment in what I have.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Netherend wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:38 pm
Does Eric participate in the forum?

Not openly
So it goes.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:50 pm
I love the people on here more than any other reason.
I definitely agree Barry! A huge part of why I enjoy checking in as frequently as I do (plus working on the computer at work for a lot of the day makes it easier as well)

But I always look forward to seeing what many of the people here are up to, what knives their buying and hearing/seeing their reviews and feedback on them. We have a lot of characters around here as well! I feel I've developed some kind of a relationship, even a friendship I'd call it with many of you over these years, although we'll never meet in person.

I know I can be a jerk sometimes, and have butt heads with a few...but a few of those people have also turned into some of my favorite people around here once we've squashed the beef through PM's. I value that, and them quite a bit! I get worried when I don't see anything from one of the "regulars" for a week or so and always hope everything is ok with them, and feel good once they pop back in.

When I really think about it...it is about the people here!

-Rick
stanolszews

Post by stanolszews »

I think it's a combination of these type of formats "going out of style" and a sort of "market saturation". It seems like so many companies of all types are releasing products faster than existing products need to be replaced or upgraded. And I'm not knocking Spyderco; they make awesome, high quality products......that last forever. Having a few different knives can be practical and fun, but at some point I think we each have max threshold of what we "need", and going beyond that serves no real purpose and is not a good value for most of us.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Personally I understand where some are coming from reading this thread but I do my best to overlook or pass what not may be reasonable to me . I see a lot of positive interaction between members , I lost track how many posts I have read where members are helping , giving tips, and encouraging others trying to solve a problem . I really like seeing members doing mods , changing scales , custom work , and just showing the beautiful edge they spent so much to attain to show others on the Forum . I have a lot to be thankful for I have connected with some older members and really have enjoyed participating with new members . For that I want to thank all of you and what you do here on the Forum . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

TBH, any type of product afis have long surpassed their need for more of what they're afis of. Not many people in the world who still even carry a pocketknife need more than the one they own and use.

My dad only ever carried one pocketknife at a time for years as his work knife, and only bought another when the one he had was too worn down to use anymore.

Having an interest in knives doesn't always mean you "need" to constantly keep up and buy all the latest knives and their variations.

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:10 pm
Having an interest in knives doesn't always mean you "need" to constantly keep up and buy all the latest knives and their variations.

Jim

you're definitely right though. we're a spoiled bunch most of the time.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:10 pm

Jim
You're right...there are at least 3 Spydercos that I want duplicates of.

I just went and looked over some of my knives. Pulled 15 out and looked them over. It's a decent way to pass the time. Decent hobby.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/