Endela vs Endura4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dsvirsky

Re: Endela vs Endura4

Post by dsvirsky »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:42 pm

I agree that the serrations on the SE Endela are the best out-of-the-box SE geometry I’ve ever used. The SE Caribbean runs a close second.
Clearly an instance where reasonable minds can disagree. I like the Endela but, for me, no serrations cut as well as the ones on my Caribbean sheepsfoot. Not even the ones on my (reprofiled to 15°) UKPK Salt and that's one slicey little knife.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The difference in width is possible, my Native 5s have different plunge grinds, so It could be different between several Enduras or several Endelas.
If the plunge grind is not placed at the same point, the Ricasso won't be placed the same and then it would induce a different "width" just by measuring them. Won't change anything except the way the knives are placed for the measure.

I do not knowif this makes sense, I'll edit if I just look like a crazy dude.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:29 pm
elena86 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:15 pm
elena86 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:02 am

Sorry, mate, but it´s actually like I said, at least with my Enduras and Endela:
The Endela blade is NOT wider than the Endura blade, at no point (and TWO mm wider just 3 cm up the ricasso as you said would be a lot!)

- Exact same width at the ricassos
- From there on the Endela blade starts to be VERY subtly less wide than the Endura blade, since the Endela spine is sloping downwards in a steeper angle due to the (compared to the Endura) shorter blade.
- Remark: My Endela is the SE version, this might make a slight difference compared to the PE version. BUT: I measured the width always at the widest part (so at a very "point" of the teeth)

I measured at various points, below as an example about 4.5 cm from the ricassos: Here the EndURa blade is about 1mm wider already:

(Click on images to enlarge - perhaps open 1 and 2 and then look at them alternating - should prove my point I guess)

Pic 1: Endura:
Pic 2: Endela
Pic 3: Blades aligned (Endela on top)

I double checked with a VG10 and a K390 Endela both in plain edge and I am right... both are 2mm wider from heel slightly above the ricasso(where the cutting bevel begins) , up to around 3 cm .Your Endela is serrated and that might trick the eye plus you need to perfectly ALIGN the spines. Just looking at your third imagine one could see that the spines are NOT ALIGNED, you tilted the spine of the Endela to prove your point. Enough said... mate.
Sounds a bit like you're taking this a bit personal? If so, it is really not meant like that, I don't care at all if I am right ot wrong here. Just am interested in the two models.

And no,my SE Endela does not "trick the eye".
Look at the pics where I measure both blades with a ruler, both 4.5 mm from the ricasso: On the Endela I start to measure at the widest point there, so the very tip of a "tooth". No "tricking the eye", but cold,hard numbers....

I really don't know why you think I'd "tilt the blade to prove my point??"
I aligned the cutting edges perfectly well and so the spines show that the Endela gets narrower than the Endura over the length of the blades.

Sure, the SE Endela generally might have a narrower blade than the PE version (would be weird though, but can't rule that out).

Peace and let's put negative vibes aside ! I'm harmless but sometimes I just like to push people's buttons because they should never underestimate a 61 old joker who was born in july and loves dogs ... and knives :winking-tongue You love mountains and I love mountains so we are brothers ! Or mates ... although only aussies are allowed to call me ''mate'' ;) Joke aside I have to admit that Endela and Endura are very close in width. Shiny footprints ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I've never handled an Endela. I have two Enduras. I do not like the handle as it comes from the factory. In my thick hands the bumps hit the wrong places, unless I let my little finger rest on the end of the handle. I have to mod my handles and do away with that first bump. Then it is great. I think I would prefer the handle on my Straight Spine Stretch, to be honest.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z1r

Post by z1r »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:15 am
I've never handled an Endela. I have two Enduras. I do not like the handle as it comes from the factory. In my thick hands the bumps hit the wrong places, unless I let my little finger rest on the end of the handle. I have to mod my handles and do away with that first bump. Then it is great. I think I would prefer the handle on my Straight Spine Stretch, to be honest.
And this is why I'm thankful we have so many options. First, because as you point out, what feels right in the hand can be very subjective. Second, we can't all carry certain blade lengths due to legal restrictions.

The Endela is under the 3.5" limit here, and its handle fits my hand nicely. The Endura is one heck of a lot of knife in a package not substantially bigger but, the handle doesn't fit my hand as well. Now, the handle on the Pacific Salt I have feels REAL good! The stretch 2 on the other hand, feels too "fat" in my hand, especially for an EDC. However, I'm gonna get one in ZDP for a back up skinning knife. I think the ZDP would do a lot of skinning before needing to be touched up and I think the extra girth would be welcome in that scenario! The Cara Cara 2 has a nice feel and I really like the finger choil that model has.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:29 pm
elena86 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:15 pm

Sounds a bit like you're taking this a bit personal? If so, it is really not meant like that, I don't care at all if I am right ot wrong here. Just am interested in the two models.

And no,my SE Endela does not "trick the eye".
Look at the pics where I measure both blades with a ruler, both 4.5 mm from the ricasso: On the Endela I start to measure at the widest point there, so the very tip of a "tooth". No "tricking the eye", but cold,hard numbers....

I really don't know why you think I'd "tilt the blade to prove my point??"
I aligned the cutting edges perfectly well and so the spines show that the Endela gets narrower than the Endura over the length of the blades.

Sure, the SE Endela generally might have a narrower blade than the PE version (would be weird though, but can't rule that out).

Peace and let's put negative vibes aside ! I'm harmless but sometimes I just like to push people's buttons because they should never underestimate a 61 old joker who was born in july and loves dogs ... and knives :winking-tongue You love mountains and I love mountains so we are brothers ! Or mates ... although only aussies are allowed to call me ''mate'' ;) Joke aside I have to admit that Endela and Endura are very close in width. Shiny footprints ...

No worries, all is fine, and my apologies should I have turned the discussion in a negative direction (though if so, unwillingly). :smlling-eyes

Actually I hope you are right (and I am wrong) concerning all PE Endelas! I prefer wider blades, and if can get an Endela that has a blade 2mm wider than an Endura blade over a good part of the handle length that´d be great!

/ Did not know till know that you love mountains too! Great to learn this!

/ "Mate(s)" - You know, I never get to talk or write in English, except on this forum...so I am really not that sufficient in that language, just thought that "mate" would be a general English term for folks one "knows" (in the context of this forum!), likes and respects.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:36 pm
I currently have a serrated wharncliffe Endura in transit. It’s FFG and from everything I’ve read, it cuts like a monster!

It is a monster! Looking forward to hearing your feedback when you get it. Love mine 🙂
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:00 pm
It is a monster! Looking forward to hearing your feedback when you get it. Love mine 🙂
If I’m honest, your posts featuring photos of the serrated wharny E4 were a huge influence on me ordering one. I think I even saved a couple to my phone.

Tracking says mine will be delivered Thursday. “Excited” is putting it mildly.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:24 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:00 pm
If I’m honest, your posts featuring photos of the serrated wharny E4 were a huge influence on me ordering one. I think I even saved a couple to my phone.

Tracking says mine will be delivered Thursday. “Excited” is putting it mildly.

I hope it meets your expectations! It's definitely my favorite large folder.