Anyone have s35vn Tenacious LW?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Anyone have s35vn Tenacious LW?

Post by Wartstein »

chronovore wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:50 pm
I just picked one of these up. It is actually my first Tenacious. Are these supposed to have good action?

This one is straight-up terrible out of the box. Trying to thumb flick, it gets stopped by friction before engaging the lock. I'm away from home but I'll try adding some lube when I get a chance. I noticed an earlier comment about one being shipped dry.
I´ve raved about how perfect in fit and finish my S35VN Tenacious came and I stand by it!

But yes, the only thing not perfect out of the box:
Probably completely dry in the pivot area.
It actually made a "squeaking" sound when opened or closed... still, the action was quite good even then, no "stopping by friction" when thumb flicking.
After I dropped some oil to the pivot area (without disassembling the knife!) the action got close to perfect too, and meanwhile, after a breaking in period, really is indeed. The blade really flies out smoothly when flicking it, while the knife still has a strong detent concerning staying closed (almost can´t shake it open, only if I try really,really hard).

Good luck with yours!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

This one could be my next knife.
Unless Caribbean hit the stores in Europe.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:30 am
This one could be my next knife.
Unless Caribbean hit the stores in Europe.
You really should do yourself a favor and get the S35VN Tenacious.. :beaming-face
It´s so nice!
But reading the latest posts: Should you decide to do so, perhaps ask the dealer to check for the action and other aspects.
Seems like not everyone got such a perfect example like I did.

One thing you might like:
I know from first hand experience that you are a great knife maker yourself.
What could be nice with the Tenacious for you: It is comparably easy to give this model custom scales out of wood, Micarta, whatever material you might choose, since it has full liners - like in "not nested" (the liners themselves are sceletonized), so the scales can be just flat slabs without any "milling out" at the inside where the liners sit.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I bought a Tenacious LW, CE, for a friend to carry in his tool bag. He had recalled seeing knives with a hole in the blade, but was never interested in knives, per say. Spyderco sent him a catalog and he really liked the catalog, but he had never held a Spyderco to see the quality, fit and finish, or ergonomics.

When he actually got the knife in hand he was blown away by the quality. He took it to another neighbor's house who had sharpened knives for people in the neighborhood for years, and he was very impressed with it. (No need to sharpen this one.) When he saw S35VN on the blade he said, "Oh yeah, this is the good stuff." I guess he has a reputation for not mincing words when someone gave him a knife with "crappy" steel to sharpen.

The friend has used the Tenacious a bit and is really impressed how it slices through material effortlessly.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pokey wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:58 pm
I bought a Tenacious LW, CE, for a friend to carry in his tool bag. He had recalled seeing knives with a hole in the blade, but was never interested in knives, per say. Spyderco sent him a catalog and he really liked the catalog, but he had never held a Spyderco to see the quality, fit and finish, or ergonomics.

When he actually got the knife in hand he was blown away by the quality
. He took it to another neighbor's house who had sharpened knives for people in the neighborhood for years, and he was very impressed with it. (No need to sharpen this one.) When he saw S35VN on the blade he said, "Oh yeah, this is the good stuff." I guess he has a reputation for not mincing words when someone gave him a knife with "crappy" steel to sharpen.

The friend has used the Tenacious a bit and is really impressed how it slices through material effortlessly.
Glad he likes it! :smlling-eyes

But since you bought the knife for him I´d be really interested what YOU (obviously knowing "a bit" more about Spydies than he does ;) ) think about quality / fit and finish of the S35Vn Tenacious?
I am still amazed how extremely well build and perfect in fit and finish mine is (despite coming from the so called "budget line").
This is even more true after quite some carry and use now: No screws got loose (like it happened with two of my Seki knives lately), action just get even smoother, but detent remained strong, it held up perfectly to even some more "abuse than use", and Spydercos S35VN turns out to be a great EDC steel (for whatever reason I like it even better this time than I did in my Native 5 LW S35VN).
Also, I can´t stop praising the linerlock! If well build and with a strong detent (like on this knife) it is really hard to beat in ease, comfort and safety of operation.
PLEASE more mid to high end linerlock Spydies! Or linerlock versions of some comp.lock models (Caribbean... Shaman...)
z1r

Post by z1r »

I don't have the S35VN version, just the standard, but I bought it because of how well put together the knife was. Great action, great detent, fabulous fut & finish, blade dead nuts centered, and the price! Too much knife to pass up. I had an Ace Hardware coupon with nothing to buy. With the discount, it was all but impossible not to buy the knife.

If I come accross an S35VN version, I'm sure I'll snatch it up.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:47 pm

Glad he likes it! :smlling-eyes

But since you bought the knife for him I´d be really interested what YOU (obviously knowing "a bit" more about Spydies than he does ;) ) think about quality / fit and finish of the S35Vn Tenacious?
I am still amazed how extremely well build and perfect in fit and finish mine is (despite coming from the so called "budget line").
This is even more true after quite some carry and use now: No screws got loose (like it happened with two of my Seki knives lately), action just get even smoother, but detent remained strong, it held up perfectly to even some more "abuse than use", and Spydercos S35VN turns out to be a great EDC steel (for whatever reason I like it even better this time than I did in my Native 5 LW S35VN).
Also, I can´t stop praising the linerlock! If well build and with a strong detent (like on this knife) it is really hard to beat in ease, comfort and safety of operation.
PLEASE more mid to high end linerlock Spydies! Or linerlock versions of some comp.lock models (Caribbean... Shaman...)

Wartstein,

I'd have to agree with you on the quality of the Value Folders. I've got two of the knives from that line, the Efficient and the Persistence. (Both w/ G-10 handles, though.)

Spyderco had just come out with the Tenacious/S35VN model, so when I heard my friend talk about the cheap knives he had in his tool bags I looked at the Tenacious as an upgrade to his other knives. I really liked the weight and the solid feel of the knife-even though it's a "Light Weight." Though my friend wouldn't be a concerned with the weight of the knife, it should still work very well for him even with the FRN handles. The medium blue colored handle will be easy to spot when he needs to use it, and hard to leave behind where he'll be working.

I picked the CE bladed version because of the ability to make long continuous cuts with the PlainEdge or to make shorter pull cuts on ropes and straps with the SpyderEdge. Sal has said that Spyderco's S30V will hold an edge better than 8Cr13MoV, so I figured S35VN, reportedly slightly tougher than S30V, would be a better choice over the regular Tenacious with 8Cr13MoV.

I like the LinerLock on a work knife because of the ability to unlock the blade more easily to put it away repeatedly. (My hands aren't beefy enough to unlock the blade in use.) On this one I was able to flick the blade open with my thumb.

It's interesting that you mentioned your Native 5 LW/S35VN. I sent him the same knife for EDC; he's impressed with that, too.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Pokey wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:07 am

It's interesting that you mentioned your Native 5 LW/S35VN. I sent him the same knife for EDC; he's impressed with that, too.
The LW N5 in S35VN was my first non Byrd Spyderco.

I keep my CE Tenacious at work. The PE serves as my lunch knife and the SE does as you say, cuts strapping & such when we get deliveries.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

It is now complete... Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

That shade of blue is lovely.
I want that colour on my trail bicycle....why in the **** I bought a boring black bike... :rofl
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45