Blade Length to Weight Ratios

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Blade Length to Weight Ratios

Post by kennethsime »

We're prepping up for an Atmospheric River this weekend, and the opening salvos of rain have me carrying stainless. My favorite stainless folder these days my CTS-204P Military - holds a great edge, very stainless, great blade/weight ratio, and MAN is the action absolutely fantastic.

One reason I don't always carry my Military is that it's a rather large knife. Fine if I'm doing work, but less appropriate in the office. It gets me thinking, I sure wish I had a 3" version of this knife. The full liners on the PM2 and Para 3 make relatively inefficient, in terms of blade-length:weight ratio. The Para 3 is an exceedingly poor example of efficiency when considered from this perspective, and I much prefer the Para 3 LW to the Para 3 for this reason.

Continuing this train of thought, I made a quick spreadsheet using some of my favorite Spydercos.

For those of you who don't use google, here's the summary in Inches and Oz:

The lower the percentage, the more blade length you're getting per oz. This tracks pretty well with my preferences for every day carry, actually.

Of course, I carry my Shaman with some regularity, because I love the Micarta scales and it is a VERY comfortable knife to use - sometimes, weight doesn't matter. When I do pass over the Shaman, it is mostly about lower blade length:weight ratio relative to many of my other knives.

So, how do you feel?
  • Does the ratio between blade length and weight play into your decision to purchase a knife or not?
  • How about carrying a knife on a regular basis?
  • Is the blade length:weight ratio a reasonable metric to determine the relative efficiency of a knife?
  • Which Spyderco offers the most blade length per oz? Which is the most efficient, from this perspective?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Re: Blade Length to Weight Ratios

Post by vivi »

I don't pay attention to ratios at all.

In this context I just have three things I look for:

1. Is the knife big enough for a full grip?
2. Is the blade long enough for my tastes?
3. Is the weight low enough I'll carry it often? (Under 5oz)

The Military has a worse blade to weight ratio than the Resilience, but I still like the design better overall.
:unicorn
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I once saw a video where Sal was talking about the reason he liked flat pocket knives, rather than contoured knives. It resonated with me, because at the knife shop I worked at in college I was always trying to sell Delicas & Enduras to folks who came in for a Griptillian - I never liked how that knife sat in my pocket.

Sal said something to the effect of "a pocket knife spends a lot of time in the pocket, and how it rides in the pocket should be a primary consideration." Sal, apologies if I'm wildly paraphrasing here.

I think this is one of the reasons the idea of efficiency really speaks to me, and why I appreciate my Military so much.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I also dont care about ratios/specs.

I just use what works and use what I like.

Also its going to be pretty hard to beat the edge length to weight ratio of a pizza cutter. :winking-tongue
I think Ill just make this joke every time this comes up.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t even think about blade length to weight ratio. For example, the PM2 and the G10 Para 3 work great for me, but I have zero interest in a Para 3 lightweight. In the same way, I also never worry about blade length to handle length. I only think about if I like it, and if it feels good for me to carry and use.

Jim
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Does the ratio between blade length and weight play into your decision to purchase a knife or not?
- No. Blade length and weight are considered, but independently. It is comfortable to be carried in a pocket? Is the blade long enough to accomplish the tasks I need it to accomplish?

How about carrying a knife on a regular basis?
- No. Same rationale as above. That being said, the knife I carry most on a regular basis is a Mini Bugout (53% W/L "Ratio").

Is the blade length:weight ratio a reasonable metric to determine the relative efficiency of a knife?
- Only if you are having difficulty finding blades that are both long and light enough.

Which Spyderco offers the most blade length per oz? Which is the most efficient, from this perspective?
- Not sure. The Ikuchi has 74% W/L "Ratio". It could also be made much lighter.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I pay a lot of attention to that ratio. I like a knife that's light for its size.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Here's a blade/weight chart I made recently. It's Spyderco-centric, but includes some models from other companies for reference. The red line indicates a 1:1 oz:in ratio.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Accutron wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:20 pm
Here's a blade/weight chart I made recently. It's Spyderco-centric, but includes some models from other companies for reference. The red line indicates a 1:1 oz:in ratio.

That is super helpful, thank you!

I think that a Native Chief is in my future.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I actually do consider less the blade length to weight ratio, but rather EDGE length to weight . While I like somewhat "heavier" Spydies cause they often feel better (balanced) in hand (but "heavy" for me is a PM2 or Tenacious LW), lighter ones are more versatile for me: Still strong enough, and a better carry in lighter pants pockets and better suited for mountaineering where carry weight can be a concern.

But for a given edge/blade length and a given weight I like to have more weight in a (solid) handle and less in the blade.
So I am not really into "heavy" linerless knives like the Para 3 LW when I can have about the same cutting edge for even a tad less weight in a solid, linered Delica.
IF linerless I prefer a really good edge to weight ratio, like the Salt 2 ffg or Oac Salt ffg offer.

Bur again, in my more "urban" life and "normal" pockets a bit heftier (for the overall size) knives like the Tenacious LW are great.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I pay zero attention to stuff like this. An ounce of weight is unnoticeable to me so I just carry whatever works best for me or whatever I like better. I don’t really notice the weight of a knife unless it has metal scales.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I definitely have found that some knives are too heavy for their size (too dense, I suppose), and consider that, all else being equal, lighter is better.

All else is rarely equal, however, except perhaps in the g10 Native 5 but where I have found the linerless version to be immeasurably preferable.

The cf Chief is also marvellously light for its size and even makes the Police LW feel overweight.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I also don't pay attention to that kind of stuff. I figure I've got 28 knives that have stuck around in my collection for a while now and know that I like every one of them. I just debate which ones I'll carry and rotate throughout the week! If their in the collection, their good enough for me!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:09 am
I definitely have found that some knives are too heavy for their size (too dense, I suppose), and consider that, all else being equal, lighter is better.

All else is rarely equal, ....... [snip]

Very good points!

Both that all else being equal lighter is better, but also that all else rarely is equal.

This is why normally I prefer carrying an Endura over the Pac Salt (even over the very similar ffg version of the latter) - and this not because of the difference in steel (I actually do prefer VG10 slightly over LC200N, but as said this is not the reason):
The Pac Salt ffg IS lighter, but the feel of the knife, generally and in hand "is not equal", the Endura feels better to me.

Now in the specific scenario of mountaineering I take the Pac Salt over the Endura (and the Salt 2 over the Delica) - for me they perform equally well, both are solid enough, but in this scenario lower weight trumps better feel in hand.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:41 am
I also don't pay attention to that kind of stuff. I figure I've got 28 knives that have stuck around in my collection for a while now and know that I like every one of them. I just debate which ones I'll carry and rotate throughout the week! If their in the collection, their good enough for me!
I totally get that!

If I´d carry a folder in my "regular" urban pants and in a work scenario like I imagine yours is like, I´d not pay attention to the weight of a folder (as long as it is not an eight ounce brick or the like...) or even gravitate towards heavier, more solid ones.

But this is different, not only in mountaineering, but just when for example I take a walk through the woods in my preferred, pretty lite and wide bouldering pants with rather "floppy" pockets - then I might do some knife throwing (with dedicated throwers, not my Spydie... ;) ), jump and climb around a bit, and a heavier knife is less ideal and more "bouncy" in pocket then than lets say an Endela (about Manix 2 LW weight).

Is this a big issue? Not at all of course. But to some degree most here look for the "optimal" knife for a given scenario down to a pretty detailed level, some concerning weight, others steel, lock, ergos, handle material, grind and so on...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Accutron wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:20 pm

Could you post your edge/weight chart too once more?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Might not be the all time champ among Spydercos but the OD Green FRN C16 Goddard Lightweight Sprint Run has to be a contender for that honor. It weighs 2.9 oz and has a 3.44" edge and 3.66" total blade length.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:17 am
Could you post your edge/weight chart too once more?
I don't have one of those. You must be thinking of somebody else's chart.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:20 am
Might not be the all time champ among Spydercos but the OD Green FRN C16 Goddard Lightweight Sprint Run has to be a contender for that honor. It weighs 2.9 oz and has a 3.44" edge and 3.66" total blade length.
I do really like the looks of the Goddard LW. Pity I missed it!

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I buy based on these ratios! Whenever this topic comes up, there's always a quick response that ratio is unimportant. I totally disagree. Thanks Kenneth and Accutron for the discussion, spreadsheet, and the graphics! Saving these for study offline...

I'd like to see Spyderco have more offerings below/right of Accutron's regression line...
Last edited by Bolster on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.