About that cardboard cutting...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Re: About that cardboard cutting...

Post by Nate »

I don’t cut up much cardboard, usually just cut the tape so I can flatten the box and fold itvto put in the bin.

Occasionally I will cut some up into strips and then “chips” when I want to add more carbon-rich material to my compost. This can be some good fun-with-knives time. :D (Learned more about geometry than wear resistance doing this btw.)

James Y wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:58 pm

I always recycle whatever I can, whenever I can, almost obsessively. The blue trash can-sized bin I have is strictly for recyclables; the trash goes into a separate black container.

Jim

Sounds like me. I take a certain pride in knowing that most weeks we have more in the recycle bin than in the trash. Not how much of it actually gets recycled, but at least we’re trying to do the right thing… Also getting better about collecting all the recyclable plastic bags and such and dropping them off at Kroger periodically instread of just throwing them away.
:spyder:
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Well, I agree cardboard is a good and easily attainable test medium. Hair is mostly an icky test medium once you get enough of it to really test with.

IMHO recycling is good, mountainous piles of trash are not good.

IMHO a knife hobby can be significantly more enjoyable with a Spyderco Forum to share it with.

Thanks team
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I don´t do a lot of cardboard cutting, but like presumably many here I break down boxes for the recycling bin more than I´d absolutely have to... :smirk
And I also sometimes have three or four different already opened Spydies at hand (sometimes sharpened with edges varying in "coarseness" [correct English term??]) when doing so and use them all in one "cutting session" for comparison reasons.

My "cardboard cutting" in a way is whittling wood. I do this a lot when having a break while hiking, just grabbing a stick and carve notches, or points, making feathersticks and the like. Just for fun, and to use, experience and compare my Spydies (btw. when whittling a stick I feel the most why I generally prefer a long, straight section in the edge over a continuous curve. At least with my technique, the latter edge profile glances of a bit easier and does not transfer as much power as the former).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Even after burning my cardboard I still produce more recyclables than I do trash. I have a very large compost pile so that reduces a lot of my trash as well. I do my very best to send as little to the landfill as possible. My state has only one landfill left in operation and it is definitely running on borrowed time. I think I will see landfills be a thing of the past that I tell my grandchildren about. I hope so.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

We in Germany are obsessed with recycling. We have separate bins for trash, plastic, metal, paper/cardboard, compost, glass, old clothes, electronic devices and whatelse.
If you live in a multiple dwelling, there's always a friendly neighbor who reminds you to clean your yogurt cups thoroughly before you put them into the bin.
To topic, I cut up my boxes with as few cuts as possible, just to fit the bin. And I use a box cutter because of the thinner blade stock - and I don't have to sharpen it. I don't like breaking down boxes.
I like those compactors, the ones you can put in the complete box, then you push the button, et voila, gone.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

👍💯👍
Ramonade wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:45 am
I cut cardboard to have something to cut, really. I could find excuses/reasons but my actual motive is to cut stuff with ma knaf.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Have to cut mine up to fit in a bin. Prefer not to burn it as that would just be turning it into air pollution.

It is an interesting knife topic. Cardboard will make you notice the difference between mule steels. It will also teach all about slicey blade profiles.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:45 am
I cut cardboard to have something to cut, really. I could find excuses/reasons but my actual motive is to cut stuff with ma knaf.
I completely understand. By the time Spring rolls around maybe I will be fit to go camping and use a bushcraft knife to start a fire. I've never done it, it does not look that tricky, but better off having done it and know that I can do it before I need to do it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Here in Central NY we also have the blue recycling bins. One for plastics/glass and the other for cardboard. Luckily for me, if we buy something large that has a big box, I just take it to work and contribute to the process (turning bales of cardboard into rolls of corrugated paper)

My daily life revolves around cardboard, pretty odd haha! But, it's definitely a job that won't be going anywhere!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick