Cobra Hood Sprint variants?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in Sprint runs that feature the Cobra Hood added to popular models?

Absolutely
48%
Nopesolutely
36%
Other
15%

Total votes: 33

Evil D

Cobra Hood Sprint variants?

Post by Evil D »

I've always wondered why more models didn't use the Cobra Hood. I think it's a great idea and not only aids in thumb comfort but also adds something extra for thumb traction for opening the blade. I wouldn't expect it to be a standard feature on a bunch of models but if they did some sprints that featured it I would be all over it. For the most part I think I'd want it on every model that has a thumb ramp, but probably not other models like the Shaman because the hood may extend out over the edge too far and could get in the way of sharpening.

In particular I would love a Caribbean with a Cobra Hood, and definitely a Military.

Another thing, why couldn't it also be used as a wave hook? I suspect there's probably a trademark issue here but if the hood extended out a bit past the thumb ramp it would double as a wave hook.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Re: Cobra Hood Sprint variants?

Post by vivi »

I'd support this. Cobra hood is one of Spydercos great ideas that isn't utilized enough IMO. I also feel that way about internal stop pins on lockbacks, like the chap.
:unicorn
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I like them but they must have stopped using them for a reason. I assume that reason is cost.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Had to google a “cobra hood”… I didn’t really know what it was. Here is clarification for others.
Attachments
FBF2BD74-88E7-4D02-8668-C3DDC53B68FD.jpeg
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely thought we were talking aftermarket hoods for a Mustang here, I was excited to help pick one haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:06 am
Definitely thought we were talking aftermarket hoods for a Mustang here, I was excited to help pick one haha!

I like a 3 inch cowl myself but the Cobra R was a nice hood, it did get a little played out though 🤣

(I have a fox body by the way)
~David
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I can get behind this idea.. I can definitely see the hood enhancing thumb comfort on a hard-use knife.

I've always really liked the ATR design profile and it seems like it would be a killer work knife, but I could never get past all the holes in the handle.. they just don't appeal to me aesthetically haha. I'd be onboard for a cobra-hooded Military for sure though!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:01 am
I've always wondered why more models didn't use the Cobra Hood. I think it's a great idea and not only aids in thumb comfort but also adds something extra for thumb traction for opening the blade...
Fantastic idea. Speaking of I am dreaming about Salsa return in modern version. Nifty and funky knife which I still am angry at myself for not getting one while I had a chance.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I dont know how I feel about this. To me, it kind of feels like another gimmick to release a "new" variant of the same old knives. Will the "cobra hood" models be regular production, taking up catalog space that another model would better fill?

What kind of response will there be when the new cobra hoods aren't backwards compatible with existing models?

Will we start hearing people whine about their favorite model not being offered with a cobra hood?
"Well, they could do it on the PM2, why cant they do it on the _______?" (FOMO) It's certainly something else for people to whine about.

Also, a cobra hood could definitely be designed to function as a wave opener. 5x5 Combat Solutions produces a "wave" accessory that is very similar to a cobra hood, called the "pickpocket." (There are obvious differences but the function is clearly there)

I've only ever held and never actually used an ATR (or any knife with a cobra hood for that matter) so I don't even know if I would like it in use.
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have a cobra hood on my Assist and ATR.

I didn’t know I wanted it until I gave some thought to its added cost. I suspect Spyderco adds a cobra hood to better a function that a model’s intended user will likely need.

A cobra hood provides a way to stabilize and maximize a thumb’s downward pressure on a blade by way of its hump.

Extreme situations involving first-response and self-defense just might need these improvements. But, do general users want to incur the added cost of this heightened function? I dunno (and voted “Other”).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:08 am
I dont know how I feel about this. To me, it kind of feels like another gimmick to release a "new" variant of the same old knives. Will the "cobra hood" models be regular production, taking up catalog space that another model would better fill?

What kind of response will there be when the new cobra hoods aren't backwards compatible with existing models?

Will we start hearing people whine about their favorite model not being offered with a cobra hood?
"Well, they could do it on the PM2, why cant they do it on the _______?" (FOMO) It's certainly something else for people to whine about.

Also, a cobra hood could definitely be designed to function as a wave opener. 5x5 Combat Solutions produces a "wave" accessory that is very similar to a cobra hood, called the "pickpocket." (There are obvious differences but the function is clearly there)

I've only ever held and never actually used an ATR (or any knife with a cobra hood for that matter) so I don't even know if I would like it in use.

1. I figured sprints are small batch and maybe do less clogging of the production line than a standard production model. Also new models have the added risk of failing for other reasons (the ATR for example people have already mentioned in this thread they dislike things about it). A sprint seemed like a way to squeeze it in without doing anything too permanent.

2. They definitely won't be backwards compatible. The blade needs machined and drilled out to accept it.

3. Oh most certainly. We lot whine about everything. We're a very entitled bunch of enthusiasts. The next question will be, what model gets the nod, and that's when the real debate starts. The likelihood of this happening is probably close to zero for this reason alone, but it makes for good discussion at least. If nothing else at least it gives Spyderco a heads up that some people actually do like the idea and maybe we will see it more someday.

4. Personally I absolutely cringe every time I see those clip on wave things. I think they're worse than zip ties. :worried
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Despite my initial hesitation, I do think it is an interesting idea and I am not opposed to seeing it happen. I think a Paramilitary 2 would be the ideal candidate to try something like this with. It is one of their most popular models and has already been given multiple variants. (Tanto, wharncliffe, wave, then cobra hood)

Also, I wasn't necessarily suggesting the clip on wave as an alternative solution, just kind of comparing the function of that to a cobra hood. It would require some creativity but I would expect a cobra hood could be designed to also function as a wave opener.
-Nick :bug-red
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I've never tried or even had an inclination to handle a Cobra Hood blade, so for that reason I will abstain from voting. I don't know that I have an opinion either way...

That being said, I don't think that a sprint PM2 would be a bad idea. When it comes to the Military, I want to see production of regular sprints come back before a Cobra Hood variant, and I just don't think they will add a hood to a Carribean, but I could see the benefits...interesting idea.
So it goes.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't think adding a Cobra Hood to existing models would be economically feasible, especially for a short run like a Sprint. And yes, the hood can double as a wave device. That's how I learned not to carry tip up knives in waistband, even if they are flat, slim and smooth like the original ATR.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I really like the cobra hood but IIRC the wide hood caused bad cutting characteristics because the hood worked as a stop when cutting thru stuff. But i never felt this was a real problem for me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jim Malone wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:58 am
I really like the cobra hood but IIRC the wide hood caused bad cutting characteristics because the hood worked as a stop when cutting thru stuff. But i never felt this was a real problem for me.

I'm sure it's possible. This is one reason I don't like thumb studs. Now that I think about it this would probably work best with models that use a 50/50 choil, because that would help to make sure the hood is positioned more at the rear or behind the edge and hopefully avoid this issue. With a Caribbean the hood would definitely be out over the edge and it would be a problem for deep cuts.
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Voted no but the true is, assuming popular implies current, then pretty much the only two models I would not want to see with a cobra hood are the Stretch and Chaparral. None of Spyderco's other current offerings really appeal to me enough for me to care one way or the other about cobra hooded variants of them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Im always in favor of variety.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:22 am
Voted no but the true is, assuming popular implies current, then pretty much the only two models I would not want to see with a cobra hood are the Stretch and Chaparral. None of Spyderco's other current offerings really appeal to me enough for me to care one way or the other about cobra hooded variants of them.
:shush
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Snacktime wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:20 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:22 am
:shush

My point, exactly. To my eyes, the Stretch is the vastly improved version of the A.T.R. due to it having a hand neutral lock, a full flat grind, a larger Spyderhole, and not having a cobra hood.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!