Which knife later grew on you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: Which knife later grew on you?

Post by GarageBoy »

The Native 5 LW - visually awkward proportions, thick stock - but comfortable handle, even with my fat fingers, point is where I want it, and the thick blade isn't the end of the world. Not as slippery as a para 3 LW either
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Native. I’ve had the s110v & s90v Forum knives, g10 N5 s35vn with liners, and a CE N3, but let them all go. Several years later I pick up a dyed M4 linerless G10 and I absolutely love it.
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

In my experience, you tend to like a knife more once you learn how to get the most out of it. For example:

- I learned to like the Spydiechef more after I stopped trying to use it in a saber grip. Once I started almost excusively using a pinch grip, it was much more enjoyable to use.

- I learned to like the Ikuchi more once I developed the most reliable methods for using the friction flipper. I think most people don't naturally put their finger pad high enough on the flipper wheel.

In other cases, you have to modify the knife to like it. It is rare that I buy a knife that cannot be improved in some way. For example:

- I did not enjoy using my Native 5 LW, until I removed the pocket clip and made some major modifications to the scales. Don't be afraid to modify the knife to address any issues that you have with it. 30 minutes with some files and sandpaper made a huge difference for me. I removed the hump, added thumb ramps, sanded down the bidirectional texturing, and contoured all of the edges.

- I did not enjoy using my BM Puukko until I thinned out the grind, reprofiled the edge, and added thumb ramps to the handle. This was honestly probably more work than it was worth. Without a belt grinder, I don't think I am ever going to try doing such major regrind again.
bjz

Post by bjz »

Lil’native…the, in my opinion, terrible weight balance and thick grind (lots of wedging and binding) of an insistent led me to a lil’ native. The weight/balance improvement was night and day, but it still wedged/bound up something fierce for me and somehow got wicked dull almost immediately. These were my first two spyderco’s coming from a handful of byrds and bunch of kershaws. After a few months of forcing myself to carry it, I finally got over my hangups and took the lil’ native to the edge pro and went to town thinning out the primary bevel…it’s huge and looks silly (maybe 10 or 11 dps with a micro bevel), but **** does it cut like a demon now and stays sharp for a long time.

Next up was the Efficient. I really liked the lil’ native but next wanted something bigger that I didn’t feel guilty beating on a bit more on a construction site. The balance thing got me again and it just never felt right in hand. Then I read about folks pulling the backspacer. It not only lightened the overall weight, but totally fixed the balance issue and is now the second most comfortable knife I have!

Things I’m currently giving a chance to grow into: stretch 2 SS (it’s too large for me when using the choil, which then hangs up on stuff when I don’t use it) and the para 3 LW. I knew the fit of the para 3 LW would be great for me but held off on it because of the thick and relatively short blade. I found one for the right price and gave it a try. I would most certainly prefer that blade to be a bit longer and the thickness of the stretch, but it’s light, feels great in hand and carries real well…it current sees more non-work pocket time than anything else.
kobold

Post by kobold »

My Camo/DLC PM2, of course, only after I sold it I started missing it, but the idea all along was to 'upgrade' it with a camo/DLC Millie anyway, so it should be okay.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

I would have to say until the last 2 years Spyderco knives in general did not appeal to me. Mostly due to that trademark Spydie hole. Main reason being fear of easily broken blades due to a cutout in the blade.
Well after actually my first Spyderco Endura and looking past the hole concept. And actually using the knife for it's intended purpose. I realized that the hole is superior in opening and left or right hand friendly. Even with leather work gloves I can easily access the Spydie hole.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:20 pm
My knife I have grown into would have to be the Delica . I was gifted a Wharnie last year for Christmas last year and at first it sat in my collection gathering dust . One day I got out and thought better try and get it over with . I used it at work that day and wow , the knife performed very well , light . and nice balance . If you have one you like you know the result . Just got in a Delica S90V this morning and I am one happy camper .
Enjoy MG. This is certainly on of my favorite Delicas.
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Strictly from an esthetics perspective, I did not care for the Manix's looks when I first saw it.
But then I held one. :smiling-heart-eyes
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

+1 for the Centofante Memory. I had been bitten years ago by a Kershaw Liner Action that had a very similar shape (mostly the lack of guard) while cutting shrink wrap with cold, wet hands. The Memory did exactly that, bring back that memory and I wasn’t wild about the blue ano, but I’d got one at a tremendous bargain.

I removed the ano and started using it and before long became my most carried Spyderco model, also prompting me to get a backup after they were discontinued. As an urban / office carry it is discrete, non threatening and, given that the handle offers no traction, used lightly as a slicer rather than a stabber, it is a really nice “gents” knife. The Baby Horn has recently pushed it out of my most carried Spyderco slot but it still has a spot in my regular rotation.

RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Ladybug K390

At first I thought this was a silly little trinket. Then I decided that it's perfect for carrying when you can't really carry a knife. This one always comes along on mountain bike rides. It doesn't get used often, but when I need some kind of blade, it's there. Granted, it's so small that it would never be the PREFERRED tool for the job, but due to its diminutive size, sometimes it's the ONLY tool for the job.

I've found that K390 really performs, but it REALLY likes to corrode. I live in a dry environment, but the knife rides in sweaty pockets, and doesn't get cleaned immediately after use. Nevertheless, I like the steel and would buy it again. In fact, I did buy it again after I negligently lost my first Ladybug K390.

IMG_3347.jpeg
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

This is exactly my experience! Now the PM2 is literally my EDC. It's always in my pocket.
James Y wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:26 pm
In my case, it was the PM2. I had read all the hype and bought one in 2011. It was also my first compression lock knife. After a bit, I realized it hadn't "wowed" me. It felt it was "meh". I hadn't understood what all the hype was about. So I left it sitting on a desk, forlorn and unused, for about 6 years.

Then one day, out of the blue, I decided to pick it up and carry it to work. It was only then I started realizing how good a design it is, and really started liking it from then on. Not long after that, I got a second PM2 in S35VN.

Sometimes it just takes giving something a fair chance.

OOPS! Wrong forum! Can this be moved to General Discussion?

Jim
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've already mentioned the "Dodo" model as far as a knife that grew on me. As I forced myself to EDC that Dodo model for one week. I found out that it could do a lot more than I expected. Another model that amazed me and it's one that I am using as my current EDC>> I'm speaking of the C-60 Ayoob model. It's one of the very few Spyderco models that I like just as much in SE as I do in PE. There are not many models I can honestly say that about.

When I switched my EDC in the past 5 months from my M390 Military and switched to my G-10 handled, C-60 Ayoob model. It has amazed me as to how versatile that design is. Truly Massad Ayoob was way ahead of his time when he designed that model. It is so versatile but yet practical. Far beyond what I expected. Can't wait till the new Sprint Run of that amazing model finally hits the dealer shelves.

Also I continue to find more practical uses for Spyderco Hawkbill blades as well.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Military for me. When I first saw it I thought it was ridiculously big. Once I handled one, and eventually bought, I understood more about it and subsequently came to appreciated it. I only have one (s110v) and love prepping meals with it. Really good around camp for just about any task
Jared

Post by Jared »

Has to be the Endura for me. When I first got the first one it seemed like this gigantic knife that I had little control of the tip on and no good way to choke up on it to gain some more control.

Then I got to using it more. And more. And more. 18 months later the Endura feels like an extension of my own hand. I’d have to double check this statement, but I think I have more Enduras in more steels than any other Spyderco model. I don’t know if it’s necessarily my favorite Spydie, but it’s definitely in the top 3.

It also caused me to develop a love for larger knives. If not for the Endura I may have never given the Military and the Manix 2XL a try. Those two are also used regularly.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

PM2, then the Military Model came along naturally.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

PM2 for me too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:16 pm
Military for me. When I first saw it I thought it was ridiculously big. Once I handled one, and eventually bought, I understood more about it and subsequently came to appreciated it. I only have one (s110v) and love prepping meals with it. Really good around camp for just about any task
If I were your next door neighbor I would give you a huge "HIGH FIVE" on that C-36 Military model. I had EDCed a C-36 Military model back around 2007 when I was living in the Missouri Ozarks and was hunting and fishing a lot. But it wasn't till I got my M390 Military when I considered EDCing one here in suburban Kansas City, MO USA Earth. Here in Missouri we are blessed with a 4 inch blade limit for folders.

I was so impressed with the M390 blade steel that I wanted to see how it would work for an EDC folder. Like yourself I thought initially that it might be a bit big and bulky for carrying in normal circumstances. But as I carried it for about a month I was so impressed with the overall performance that I ended up EDCing it for slightly over 5 years. And YES!! I used mine as a food knife on many occasions too. The M390 Blade was always shaving sharp and great for every job I encountered. I'll never completely retire it.