Endura 4 ZDP-189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Leksy

Re: Endura 4 ZDP-189

Post by Leksy »

Would be great, thank you!

Honestly, I used to avoid forwarding services because of the risk of loss or problems at customs.
But seems this is the only way to get Hap40 Stretch.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Knife center still has their hap40 exclusives in stock

Saber grind came first and was quickly replaced by the FFG version
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I've been enjoying a ZDP Endura over the past few months. No reason not to have one unless sharpening harder steels is a problem for you.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I dont think it'll be a problem since I already sharpen Maxamet !

edit : typo
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

By the way, before starting to play with it tomorrow night :

How does it compare to Spyderco's s110v in term of brittleness, does it have a tendancy to chip less, or more ?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Sorry can't comment as I am not well versed in S110V. For me ZDP holds an edge noticeably longer than VG10 and is a worthwhile cost upgrade. I don't have issues with chipping with VG10 or ZDP as I just use my knives for slicing (hide, meat, cardboard, packaging, fruits vegetables and so on).
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I see, so the fact that the carbides are formed from chromium won't make it as much of a pain sharpening?
I had quite a learning curve on s110v, took me 3 edges too gauge the pressure and starting grit ( I started too low, with really little pressure but that was enough too chip the edge while raising the burr, due to the grit).

I'm relieved ^^. My N5 LW s110v sports a 20° micro bevel until i receive my microscope to sharpen it while checking at every pass, I'll master that one, I must ! :squinting-tongue

EDIT : Knife received, first thing I noticed is that it is the Spyderco that came with the best factory edge yet (except 2 really micro chips on the apex), even better than my para 3 Maxamet, that held the record before.
Second thing i observed : the mid-backlock from the Delica-Endela-Endura is really something, being able to close it one handed without changing position by just depressing the lock and shaking the blade shut is pretty cool. No side to side play, and no vertical play no matter how i press while cutting (or just trying to move it like an idiot).
That's nice, some people said theirs did have some vertical play.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Well, after some use I can see some stuff about the Endura 4, maybe just the ZDP-189 in particular, maybe just my knife, or maybe all Enduras.

- I discovered the infamous backlock's vertical play, even if it is the tiniest bit of it. I was used to the Native 5 so it is really hard to not go bananas when feeling some play during a cut.

- The edge was pristine, but i noticed some damaged on the edge approx. one inch from the ricasso. Is it my fault (certainly), or the blade might hit the spring or smth when closing ?

Overall it's a really really good knife, the action is correct even tho I prefer the N5's. I'll have to adjust to this minimal vertical play to really enjoy this knife to the fullest.

DrHE

Post by DrHE »

For what it’s worth my ZDP189 Endura doesn’t have any play I can detect. I am a long time endura fan (still have my original generation 1) and honestly haven’t experienced it.

Sharpening wise ZDP189 I found it was easy to get a great edge. Took it from 3 grits of diamond bench stones down to my Spyderco medium, fine, ultra fine bench stones then stropping to an insanely sharp hair whittling edge. Right off the golden stone I use for maintenance touch ups it gets a very sharp and sticky edge. Hit with a stop and it polished well.

It push cuts very fine single ply tracing paper but will still cleanly cut heavy paper shop towels. ZDP189 is a pure joy to use to me.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Leksy wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:15 am
Would be great, thank you!

Honestly, I used to avoid forwarding services because of the risk of loss or problems at customs.
But seems this is the only way to get Hap40 Stretch.
Well, below is the reply from "myus" the forwarding service I used to use from the US to Europe - concerning my question if they´d still ship pocket knives / folders... not good. And crazy, since where I live one handed opening locking folders are perfectly legal and a folder is actually even less of a weapon than most kitchen knives.. :(

I actually never had any problems with forwarding services in the past. Perhaps you contact some and ask if they´d still ship an US bought folder to you? Or perhaps some US forum member will?

"
... We can only ship kitchen knives however if you are planning to purchase pocket knives, please send us a link first so we can have our Subject Matter Experts review the item before you will place your order.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. "....
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FK

Post by FK »

Rivers Edge Cutlery has the Endura 4 with ZDP-189 in stock.
Most of the other online shops are out.

Regards,
FK
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

European dealers like Knives&Tools still have the Caly 3.5, Stretch 2 and Endura 4 in ZDP-189. Their price aren't that good tho...
For HAP40 knives, I can't seem to find any in stock.

As for the vertical blade play in the lock position, it is due to the FRN. The pivot is moving inside it's encasing where the D-shape is present. Maybe it is something I can fix the McGyver way ?

Leksy

Post by Leksy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:22 am

Well, below is the reply from "myus" the forwarding service I used to use from the US to Europe - concerning my question if they´d still ship pocket knives / folders... not good. And crazy, since where I live one handed opening locking folders are perfectly legal and a folder is actually even less of a weapon than most kitchen knives.. :(

I actually never had any problems with forwarding services in the past. Perhaps you contact some and ask if they´d still ship an US bought folder to you? Or perhaps some US forum member will?
Thanks!

A few days ago I was browsing on local online knife market, and suddenly has spotted out the precious HAP 40 Stretch :smiling-cheeks , near-mint condition, for a reasonable price, that was an inevitable purchase. It has just arrived to me.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Knives Plus has a section called "Boss's Collection" where they sell BNIB knives that have been discontinued. It is quite the collection, though some are quite expensive. They have a HAP40 Endura.

https://www.knivesplus.com/spydercoendu ... pbore.html
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Leksy wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:08 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:22 am
Thanks!

A few days ago I was browsing on local online knife market, and suddenly has spotted out the precious HAP 40 Stretch :smiling-cheeks , near-mint condition, for a reasonable price, that was an inevitable purchase. It has just arrived to me.
So glad for you!! :smiling-cheeks
That´s great, you´ll love it! The steel, the long cutting edge for such a compact folder, the unique, but so useful bladeshape, the great ergos (unless you have really big hands... ?)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm planning on picking up one of these soon. Need to give ZDP a try in the Endura. I wish there was a BRG ZDP Endela. :(
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pm
I'm planning on picking up one of these soon. Need to give ZDP a try in the Endura. I wish there was a BRG ZDP Endela. :(
Funny thing, I searched the web quite a bit looking for one, before I clued in to the fact that they never made one, lol. Still a Spyderco noob!
GautamGoel

Post by GautamGoel »

I have the ZDP-189 Endura and I carry it every day. It kicked the Manix 2 and PM2 out of my pocket. No issues with centering or blade play. Also no issues with corrosion. My understanding is that ZDP-189 is comparable to S110V in terms of wear resistance (excellent) and toughness (not great).

I recently bought an Endura in 20cv. That may kick the ZDP-189 Endura out of my pocket for a while...
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The blade play is really annoying me... I have gone too far for the return Window. Might hve to return it to Golden, but that would be pricy... I'll try to capture that in video

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:26 am
The blade play is really annoying me... I have gone too far for the return Window. Might hve to return it to Golden, but that would be pricy... I'll try to capture that in video

Sorry to hear that!
I never had anything close to what I´d call vertical bladeplay on any of my Enduras... Just tried the two I have right now, plus a Pac Salt and three Stretch 1: I really have to push the blades very hard on a surface (wooden cutting board) in order to perceive any movement, if at all

So perhaps you could really post a vid: Works well with streamable.com for example!