Do we know when the PM2 S45VN Black version will be available ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

Do we know when the PM2 S45VN Black version will be available ?

Post by Xformer »

It seems it's on preorder status only on most major website. Only the Satin PM2 in S45VN is available.

Can't wait because of the black liners. It's all black know :winking-tongue
Leksy

Re: Do we know when the PM2 S45VN Black version will be available ?

Post by Leksy »

Lynch Northwest has all-black version in stock right now, with black cerakote clip added. Can't say anything about liners, though.
https://www.lynchnw.com/knives/spyderco ... black-s45v
They recently had some new knives arrived in stock.

BTW, I have to mention: Casey is fair, trustworthy craftsman and dealer, I'm totally happy with my orders.

The last was PM2 DLC Camo, with "FU" production date stamp (June 2021). Its fit and finish are flawless, the liners are black.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It has been out to dealers since mid-August!
RamZar wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:30 pm
Although the ParaMilitary2 CPM-S45VN Black DLC Blade Black G-10 C81GPBK2 is not a new model it has quite a few upgrades. The blade steel is S45VN not S30V and the Blackout makes all hardware, clip and liners black DLC coated. They're trickling into dealers.

https://youtu.be/N6-9IGUpCKc
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

IDK when the S45 version will come around. But for $199 Smokey Mountain Knife Works has this beautiful PM2 in CPM M4 steel.
https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-smkw-excl ... torm-satin
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m interested in getting either a DLC S45VN PM2, or the same in a Para 3. One or the other. I’m leaning more towards the Para 3, though, as I already own a couple of PM2s.

Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Blackout Para3 with S45VN has been at dealers for a month now.
RamZar wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:15 pm
Although the Para3 CPM-S45VN Black DLC Blade Black G-10 C223GPBK is not a new model it has quite a few upgrades. The blade steel is S45VN not S30V and the Blackout makes all hardware, clip and liners black DLC coated. They're trickling into dealers.

https://youtu.be/db3r71dhqKU
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks!

For me right now, it’s more of a financial reason for holding off on buying.

Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

James Y wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:55 pm
Thanks!

Jim

Understood.

Both the ParaMilitary2 & Para3 Blackout S45VN folders are regular production items so they’ll be around for a long time.
James Y

Post by James Y »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:06 pm
James Y wrote:
Thanks!

Jim

Understood.

Both the ParaMilitary2 & Para3 Blackout S45VN folders are regular production items so they’ll be around for a long time.

That's a great Thing! 🙂

I suppose I could use the excuse that I should buy one before the end of this year, as prices will most likely be increasing again next year.

Then the remaining conundrum is deciding between PM2 or Para 3. 🤔

Jim
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

RamZar wrote:
Understood.

Sure wish you could work some magic and post a link to a Military in that same configuration. ;)
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

James Y wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:25 pm
RamZar wrote:
James Y wrote:
Thanks!

Jim

Understood.

That's a great Thing! 🙂

I suppose I could use the excuse that I should buy one before the end of this year, as prices will most likely be increasing again next year.

Then the remaining conundrum is deciding between PM2 or Para 3. 🤔

Jim

Inflation has been hitting almost all sectors of the economy and increases in some Spyderco MSRP is almost a certainty. Additionally, Spyderco may again drop the MAP discount from the current 30% to 25% to “help dealers”. Prior to January 1, 2016 Spyderco had no MAP enforcement and you could get some knives at 45%-50% off MSRP. However, starting in January 2016 MAP became 40% (dealers could not advertise a price below 40% off MSRP). Since then Spyderco has dropped MAP to 35% (January 2018) and then 30% (January 2020).
James Y

Post by James Y »

Funny thing is, I already own a DLC S35VN PM2, but unlike the new ones coming out, only its blade is DLC coated.

I'm leaning towards the all-DLC'd Para 3, because the one I own is uncoated. That and its universal legality in jurisdictions in my state. Also, when the prices inevitably increase, I'd hate to pay as much or more later for a DLC Para 3 than I would for the same in a PM2 right now. If that makes any sense.

Thankfully, I'm no longer an impulse buyer. But the desire for upgraded versions of favorite models never ends...

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What does S45VN bring to the table that we don't already have, except for being a new steel? I mean seriously. Cool looking knife, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:59 pm
What does S45VN bring to the table that we don't already have, except for being a new steel? I mean seriously. Cool looking knife, though.

See article:
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/11/01/ ... 5vn-steel/

S45VN offers better corrosion resistance and toughness than S30V with the same edge retention.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:37 am
Doc Dan wrote:

See article:

S45VN offers better corrosion resistance and toughness than S30V with the same edge retention.
Does the increase in toughness means the PM2 point will be sturdier ?
James Y

Post by James Y »

Chapp wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:21 pm
RamZar wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

See article:

I would still take care with the tip. I have an S35VN PM2, and while S35VN also has more 'toughness' than S30V, the blade is still ground to the same fine, delicate tip. Any fine, thinly-ground tip in any steel has the potential to break off. I've accidentally chipped the very tip off of one of my Tasman Salts, and H1 is known to be a tough steel.

Jim
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:47 pm
Chapp wrote:
RamZar wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

See article:

I would still take care with the tip. I have an S35VN PM2, and while S35VN also has more 'toughness' than S30V, the blade is still ground to the same fine, delicate tip. Any fine, thinly-ground tip in any steel has the potential to break off. I've accidentally chipped the very tip off of one of my Tasman Salts, and H1 is known to be a tough steel.

Jim
Too bad then. It was one of my biggest reason I was hyped by the S45VN update on the PM2.

For years, I've pestered Spyderco to make a PM2 with a more sturdy blade, I even spent days do make a mock-up of a PM2 with a Nirvana blade that I posted in our dear forum. I've also tried to convince them to make the PM2 tanto go into regular production... so when I heard the Spyderco moved to S45VN for the PM2, I felt like a fool because I thought I was missing the forest behind the tree. Why change the blade shape when you can just go for a tougher steel ? If the point is still as fragile, I guess I'm going back to square one :cry:

I hope the next bach of PM2 tanto feature the black liners and S45VN though.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Chapp wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:27 am
James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:47 pm
Chapp wrote:
RamZar wrote:

See article:

Jim
Too bad then. It was one of my biggest reason I was hyped by the S45VN update on the PM2.

For years, I've pestered Spyderco to make a PM2 with a more sturdy blade, I even spent days do make a mock-up of a PM2 with a Nirvana blade that I posted in our dear forum. I've also tried to convince them to make the PM2 tanto go into regular production... so when I heard the Spyderco moved to S45VN for the PM2, I felt like a fool because I thought I was missing the forest behind the tree. Why change the blade shape when you can just go for a tougher steel ? If the point is still as fragile, I guess I'm going back to square one :cry:

I hope the next bach of PM2 tanto feature the black liners and S45VN though.

Hi, Chapp.

Sorry, it wasn’t my intention to discourage you from buying one of the new PM2’s, if you had your sights set on one. I’m sure the tip of an S45VN PM2 would be a bit less brittle than S30V. It’s just that any fine-tipped blade like that will have that same inherent vulnerability at the tip, regardless of steel. That’s why the tips on the Delica 4 and Endura 4 blades were given a slightly reinforced tip design, compared to earlier versions of the Delicas and Enduras.

Jim
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -Blade/625

In stock at the SFO. I picked one up a few weeks ago and it hasn’t left my pocket.