Ergonomic : Delica vs Para 3 LW ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

Ergonomic : Delica vs Para 3 LW ?

Post by Xformer »

I had both, but I resold the Para 3 LW before using it heavily.

For people who had experience with both, how would you compate their respective ergos ?
JonLeBlanc

Re: Ergonomic : Delica vs Para 3 LW ?

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Well unfortunately I've never handled a P3 LW, but I do own a P3 G-10 and a Delica, and I can say that when choked up, the Para3 is one of the most ergonomic knives I've ever held (definitely moreso than the Delica).
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

These similarely sized two knives are really different in their "concept of ergos", and you'll find very differing opinions on them.

I am pretty much the opposite of friend John above: For me the Delica beats the Para 3 in ergos.
I gave a Para 3 LW SE a try and evaluation over the last two month, exactly BECAUSE I never fully "understood" this model. And I must say: I liked it a lot more than the firsr time I could (briefly) try one, but compared to a Delica/Salt 2 I still don t have to think twice to choose the latter - for several reasons, one being ergos.

Funnily enough I found the "squeezed in" grip on the actual handle not that bad on the Para 3 (the grip area there is just too short for my hand, my fingers partly go one over the other when I try to fit them in there). Somehow locked in in a weird way.
Still I think they transferred that "hook" at the end of the handle (shortening grip area) from the larger PM2 to the smallee Para 3 mostly for the looks, rationally speaking a flat handle end would have allowed also somewhat larger hands to fit on the handle (see Sage).
The Delica/Salt 2 is great for me in that regard: Lots of grip area to work with for the overall size on the actual handle, very comfortable for me.

Choked up on the choil the Para 3 feels very good indeed, also for me. If one most times uses the choil anyway this is not a bad choice.
I do choke up on the Delica ricasso too quite frequently, and while it would be silly to say that this is more comfortable than the Para 3 choil, the "ricasso grip" on the Delica gives me more control. More important to me in the typical, not hours in a row long folding knife use.
And in prolongued, "harder" use the comp.lock cutout and open back of the Para 3 come into play and make it less comfortable than the closed back, no cutout backlock Delica anyway.

One slight ergo plus for the Para 3: The thick blade which I othetwise don t like, makes it a tad more comfortable to put the finger on the spine than on the more performance oriented, thin Delica blade
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Great question.

The Delica uses the classic Spyderco "points" handle, much like the Endura and the Police. My theory is that the "points" handle is useful for quickly acquiring a secure grip. The downside is that those points become hot spots for me, and probably other folks with larger hands.

Personally, I'm a much bigger fan of the "swell" handles, such as those used in the Native, Stretch, and Para families. While it may not be as "tactical," I find the swells much more comfortable for sustained use. Further, all of these knives have a 50/50 choil, which offers a whole heck of a lot of control over the knife when you want to choke up. I think the Shaman might be my favorite of the bunch, because the "pinky bump" is less pronounced. Actually, the Para 3 also has a less-pronounced pinky bump. Again, large hand problems.

If you haven't tried one yet, you might consider the Native 5 LW, which features the "swell" handle shape but a classic mid-back lock like the Delica.

If you're not a fan of choils, you might also consider the Rock Jumper (or the upcoming Leaf Jumper), which features a "swell" handle but no choil.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica has more actual room for an adult hand. The PM3 is too short in that regard. The Delica is fully ambidextrous. The PM3 is not. I feel the lock is better on the Delica, and more secure. The Delica is trimmer and easier to carry all day.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:58 pm
The Delica uses the classic Spyderco "points" handle, much like the Endura and the Police. My theory is that the "points" handle is useful for quickly acquiring a secure grip. The downside is that those points become hot spots for me, and probably other folks with larger hands.

Personally, I'm a much bigger fan of the "swell" handles, such as those used in the Native, Stretch, and Para families. While it may not be as "tactical," I find the swells much more comfortable for sustained use. Further, all of these knives have a 50/50 choil, which offers a whole heck of a lot of control over the knife when you want to choke up. I think the Shaman might be my favorite of the bunch, because the "pinky bump" is less pronounced. Actually, the Para 3 also has a less-pronounced pinky bump. Again, large hand problems.
Really goes to show how subjective this all is and that there can't be no generalization:

- I have L to XL hands
- The "Delica handle points" never create any hotspots at all for me (while features like a comp.lock cutout or certain clip placements do). They just make the knife more stable in my hand
- Choking up on a Delica ricasso gives me more "a heck of a lot of control" (not the same as comfort!) than most choils. The Para 3 choil is actually pretty good in that regard, as are the Chap and Stretch 1 choils, while the Native choil feels good when just holding the knife but offers less "control" in real use for me.
- The "pinky bump" for me is nice on large enough handles, but close to a design flaw on short handles like the Para 3 has (for larger hands). It is not on the longer PM2, but as said: I really think the Para 3 has it more in order to look like a Mini PM2 than for rational ergp considerations (unless it is deliberately designed for smaller hands or one always grips it choked up on the choil).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Deleted cause not enough on topic
Matus

Post by Matus »

Because of the rounded butt on the P3 (LW or not), it is too short for a full grip when not choking up - this becomes noticeable when one tries to apply a larger amount of downward force (like when cutting something stiff). Other than that I personally prefer P3 LW handle over Delica even if the Delica is overall a more practical knife with the thinner blade.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

After p3lw everything else feels sloppy in hand. Delica has a "neutral" handle compared to it because of lack of finger groove and hook on the end of the handle, thinner blade stock which is not that comfy for thumb.