Polished FRN?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Polished FRN?

Post by Mushroom »

That is a result of the bug logo being polished in the molds that are used to make the handles.
-Nick :bug-red
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:42 am
It probably could be polished with sand paper and steel wool but post processing of FRN is not efficient in a production setting. This type of texture would be machined into the molds for FRN. The molds would need to be polished smooth to produce a smooth injection molded part.

It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to produce a polished bidirectional texturing.
It would not be difficult at all. They make shiny textured plastic toys all the time. Have you ever heard of legos? Legos have a very similar texture to the Bi-directional texture, and they make billions of those things all day long. It's not a difficult process at all.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:15 am
Mushroom wrote:
It probably could be polished with sand paper and steel wool but post processing of FRN is not efficient in a production setting. This type of texture would be machined into the molds for FRN. The molds would need to be polished smooth to produce a smooth injection molded part.

It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to produce a polished bidirectional texturing.
It would not be difficult at all. They make shiny textured plastic toys all the time. Have you ever heard of legos? Legos have a very similar texture to the Bi-directional texture, and they make billions of those things all day long. It's not a difficult process at all.
Yeah, I'm well aware of the process. Thanks. :eye-roll

Believe it or not, the tolerances Lego is able to achieve with their blocks actually is extremely difficult at their level of production. They are masters of injection molding, it's actually quite impressive. Not a good comparison, in my opinion.

Also, which legos have a very similar texture to the bi-drectional texture? Just curious.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

But Legos are small and for children...so they must be simple to produce! :winking-tongue
So it goes.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

While comparing the handle of my Ramco to the Micarta scales on my C44 Dyad, it suddenly occurred to me that I have a very smooth and shiny rifle stock that I've had for over half a century. My Remington Nylon 66 has a stock of DuPont Zytel fiberglass reinforced nylon. Slick except where checkering is molded in, still shiny after all these years, it pretty well proves that FRN can be manufactured shiny if that was the original question. Whether you can polish it after manufacture to make it shiny is another question. It should be possible if you are determined and have lots and lots of free time to invest.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:46 pm
While comparing the handle of my Ramco to the Micarta scales on my C44 Dyad, it suddenly occurred to me that I have a very smooth and shiny rifle stock that I've had for over half a century. My Remington Nylon 66 has a stock of DuPont Zytel fiberglass reinforced nylon. Slick except where checkering is molded in, still shiny after all these years, it pretty well proves that FRN can be manufactured shiny if that was the original question. Whether you can polish it after manufacture to make it shiny is another question. It should be possible if you are determined and have lots and lots of free time to invest.
I had forgotten about the Remington Nylon 66. Those things were very shiny and nearly indestructible.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:16 am
KnifusMaximus wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Believe it or not, the tolerances Lego is able to achieve with their blocks actually is extremely difficult at their level of production. They are masters of injection molding, it's actually quite impressive. Not a good comparison, in my opinion.

Also, which legos have a very similar texture to the bi-drectional texture? Just curious.

Have you ever seen a lego?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:20 am
Mushroom wrote:
KnifusMaximus wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Cylinders in neat rows arising from a flat plain are rather different from the continuous angled wedges arranged in arcs on a bidirectional texture. This is especially so with regard to polishing the molds. The handle texture is far more complicated.
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:03 am
KnifusMaximus wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
KnifusMaximus wrote:

Cylinders in neat rows arising from a flat plain are rather different from the continuous angled wedges arranged in arcs on a bidirectional texture. This is especially so with regard to polishing the molds. The handle texture is far more complicated.
Nah, It's not difficult at all. I get it that you want to pretend that spyderco knives are some super complicated thing to make, but in reality, it's just a blade, a few screws, and some plastic. There is nothing technologically advanced, and nothing any toy company can't produce...
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:54 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:08 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:39 am
I seem to recall Sal once mentioning the handle on the Ramco/Laguiole being FRN (the only way they could get the desired shape was by injection molding) which would seem to answer the question.
Spydiewiki says it is micarta. Does Spydiewiki have the wrong information? That is always possible.
It looks like Micarta, but I don't think that Micarta can be injection molded. Sal did say that the molds for the Laguoile were destroyed when the maker went under, so there was no way to do a Sprint Run.

I could be off-base, I'm going off my memories of several posts in different threads scattered over a number of years.
To the best of my knowledge, I believe that the Ramco/Laguiole handles are injection molded ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene). They do not appear to be buffed but reflect the mirror polished mold they came from. As most of the handles have shrunken far more than typical Micarta (exposing the brass lines edges) on the examples that I have seen, sold, or that are in our collection, ABS or a similar plastic seems to be what they are made of. I cannot see any layers or laminate texture that would indicate Micarta (linen or paper) is the handle material.

It would be rather difficult to buff FRN due to the fiberglass content.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:37 am
Bill1170 wrote:
KnifusMaximus wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Nah, It's not difficult at all. I get it that you want to pretend that spyderco knives are some super complicated thing to make, but in reality, it's just a blade, a few screws, and some plastic. There is nothing technologically advanced, and nothing any toy company can't produce...
It genuinely appears as though you do not have a true understanding of the injection molding process involved. Had you shown the ability to communicate like an adult, I would attempt to continue this discussion but it's obvious that you just feel like arguing about this like a child.
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:14 am
KnifusMaximus wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:37 am
Bill1170 wrote:
KnifusMaximus wrote:

It genuinely appears as though you do not have a true understanding of the injection molding process involved. Had you shown the ability to communicate like an adult, I would attempt to continue this discussion but it's obvious that you just feel like arguing about this like a child.

I used to work at a fabrication company using injection molds on a daily basis. I made prototype parts and molds for those parts. I know more about injection molds than anyone in this forum.

Have a nice day, kiddo.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:05 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:54 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:08 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:39 am
I seem to recall Sal once mentioning the handle on the Ramco/Laguiole being FRN (the only way they could get the desired shape was by injection molding) which would seem to answer the question.
Spydiewiki says it is micarta. Does Spydiewiki have the wrong information? That is always possible.
It looks like Micarta, but I don't think that Micarta can be injection molded. Sal did say that the molds for the Laguoile were destroyed when the maker went under, so there was no way to do a Sprint Run.

I could be off-base, I'm going off my memories of several posts in different threads scattered over a number of years.
To the best of my knowledge, I believe that the Ramco/Laguiole handles are injection molded ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene). They do not appear to be buffed but reflect the mirror polished mold they came from. As most of the handles have shrunken far more than typical Micarta (exposing the brass lines edges) on the examples that I have seen, sold, or that are in our collection, ABS or a similar plastic seems to be what they are made of. I cannot see any layers or laminate texture that would indicate Micarta (linen or paper) is the handle material.

It would be rather difficult to buff FRN due to the fiberglass content.
I would agree on the Ramco handle material. Magnified examination shows no hint of laminated material typically seen in Micarta. FRN is only one of the possible materials.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

The edges of the Para 3 are "glassy" feeling frn compared to the "gritty" feeling frn from Seki, so polishing seems very possible. But I think it would also depend on the specific formula and ratio of nylon and fiberglass. I'm assuming fiberglass is much harder than nylon and is somewhat harder than the surrounding nylon. It would probably be more difficult to buff a composite where the components have very different properties.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:08 pm
I used to work at a fabrication company using injection molds on a daily basis. I made prototype parts and molds for those parts. I know more about injection molds than anyone in this forum.

Have a nice day, kiddo.

OK, now that you’ve said that I’ll believe everything you say 🙄

Maybe if you treated people with respect and demonstrated your knowledge without trying to put others down you’d get a warmer reception. Instead you’ve chosen to act like a troll.

I’ll suggest you review the following post by Sal Glesser, the forum’s authority on injection molding:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28093

Clean up your attitude or take it elsewhere.
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:17 am
KnifusMaximus wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:08 pm

Have a nice day, kiddo.

OK, now that you’ve said that I’ll believe everything you say 🙄

Maybe if you treated people with respect and demonstrated your knowledge without trying to put others down you’d get a warmer reception. Instead you’ve chosen to act like a troll.

I’ll suggest you review the following post by Sal Glesser, the forum’s authority on injection molding:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28093

Maybe you should stop stubbornly pretending like everything spyderco does is the most technologically advanced thing on the planet.