Thick vs Thin handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Thick vs Thin handles

Post by Wartstein »

For me whatever the Endura / Stretch / Endela handle thickness is in mm is perfect, even in longer use. Don´t need my main EDC folders to be any thicker, since this "thickness" still carries really well.

Actually even the really thin Chaparral feels pretty good in hand, and on top of this really stable and locked in.

More important for feel in hands to me are factors as
- where the clip exactly sits (and digs in the hand uncomfortably or not)
- chamfering or not
- lock type (and how it effects the comfort in hand by cutouts and the like)
- on some knives open vs closed backl
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My beat up blue collar hands are getting older and they like big hand filling handles. That can come from being either thick or tall but it definitely helps when they fill the hand. I personally think the bulk of the Shaman is worth carrying in exchange for its hand filling quality.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:15 pm
My beat up blue collar hands are getting older and they like big hand filling handles. That can come from being either thick or tall but it definitely helps when they fill the hand. I personally think the bulk of the Shaman is worth carrying in exchange for its hand filling quality.

100% worth it, and the added thickness is only like 1/8 inch or something total and only in the center of the handle, and to me it seems like it blends in with my hip and pocket better than a flat square block handle. I'll trade fractionally more thickness in my pocket for drastically better ergonomics in use every time I can.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Police 4 FRN and Endela FRN are just about the perfect compromise between thin enough for pocket and thick enough for hand.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:29 pm
Police 4 FRN and Endela FRN are just about the perfect compromise between thin enough for pocket and thick enough for hand.
Agreed. (Totally subjective though of course).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

A couple of my favorite knives, so I don’t know :winking-tongue

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just so we're all clear....here's the difference between a PM2 and a Shaman...

PM2:

Shaman:

Now for you math challenged folks like me, that's a whole 2.04mm difference between the two. In case you're wondering what that looks like, it's roughly the same width as a PM2 clip screw hole:

That's a mere 1.02mm per side. I really just don't understand how anyone can not welcome the increase in ergonomics that a Shaman has over a PM2 for such a trivial increase in thickness. I really just don't understand this one bit. I don't understand how that's all the difference it takes to make something pleasant to carry vs bulky. Are you guys wearing skin tight yoga pants?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Agreed. I'd hardly call the Shaman a thick knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My long running preference for the Stretch over the Endura is probably partly due to its hand filling nature. My continued praise for the Military has often referenced its large handle. My love of the Bushcraft/Proficient as well as the Bark River Bravo is mostly based on their large hand filling handles. I have often talked up Ethan Becker’s full size knives. Those handles are huge and mind bogglingly comfortable. Like all day long comfortable.

I like Sal’s design philosophies. One of them seems to be to design a handle that fits the hand well and then to design a blade that fits that handle.

In this day of obsession over knife steels, heat treats, blade geometries and overall cutting performance I feel as though ergos are often glossed over in favor of ease of carry. A persons ability to cut efficiently is so dependent on ones ability to apply force at the proper angle as well as the ability to do that with comfort.

I have heard a few critiques of the Shaman. Some of the more common are the nub that blocks the lock bar cutout as well as the Delica like hump present when the knife is closed. These matter to those who focus on form and they are legitimate critiques. To me they are minor compared to the knifes abilities.

Many over analyze statistics like blade to handle ratio and that metric does not show the Military in a positive light. This is the problem with bench racing. This is all subjective and I don’t intend to devalue the qualities others value but for me, in use, the Shaman, Stretch and Military trump many other models due to their ergos which for me are superior.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:15 pm
Just so we're all clear....here's the difference between a PM2 and a Shaman...

PM2:

Shaman:

Now for you math challenged folks like me, that's a whole 2.04mm difference between the two. In case you're wondering what that looks like, it's roughly the same width as a PM2 clip screw hole:

That's a mere 1.02mm per side. I really just don't understand how anyone can not welcome the increase in ergonomics that a Shaman has over a PM2 for such a trivial increase in thickness. I really just don't understand this one bit. I don't understand how that's all the difference it takes to make something pleasant to carry vs bulky. Are you guys wearing skin tight yoga pants?
It's the Shaman, Manix 2 and Para 2 that are working great for me....G10's and steel liners of course!! Ya'll know what I think of the cheap FRN handles. :smiling-halo

And Yes...there seems to be a whole lot of folks with their Yoga Pants pulled up waaaaaayyy to high. :flushed
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:55 pm
My long running preference for the Stretch over the Endura is probably partly due to its hand filling nature. My continued praise for the Military has often referenced its large handle. My love of the Bushcraft/Proficient as well as the Bark River Bravo is mostly based on their large hand filling handles. I have often talked up Ethan Becker’s full size knives. Those handles are huge and mind bogglingly comfortable. Like all day long comfortable.

I like Sal’s design philosophies. One of them seems to be to design a handle that fits the hand well and then to design a blade that fits that handle.

In this day of obsession over knife steels, heat treats, blade geometries and overall cutting performance I feel as though ergos are often glossed over in favor of ease of carry. A persons ability to cut efficiently is so dependent on ones ability to apply force at the proper angle as well as the ability to do that with comfort.

I have heard a few critiques of the Shaman. Some of the more common are the nub that blocks the lock bar cutout as well as the Delica like hump present when the knife is closed. These matter to those who focus on form and they are legitimate critiques. To me they are minor compared to the knifes abilities.

Many over analyze statistics like blade to handle ratio and that metric does not show the Military in a positive light. This is the problem with bench racing. This is all subjective and I don’t intend to devalue the qualities others value but for me, in use, the Shaman, Stretch and Military trump many other models due to their ergos which for me are superior.
I agree on some points

But the Stretch and Millie are not better in ergos due to thicker - , but taller and/or longer handles!

I could try out a Shaman and tbh: Stretch, Millie, and yes, Endura/Endela are better in my hand.
The Shaman is nice, don´t get me wrong, but on this particular model the open back and the comp.lock cutout make it less comfortable in prolongued, a bit "harder" use than all the models mentioned above.

I guess my point is: Making a handle thicker and more rounded does not necessarily mean it gets better in ergos.
This can (but does not have to) contribute to better ergos, but in my view other things are more important on a folder (unless one gives it a really thick, closed back, no comp.lock cutout "fixed blade" handle. But this would be noticeable in carry)

The Stretch 1 is an example for a real genius design: Slim and compact in carry, flat handle, but perfect ergos,
For me this is the "art of designing pocket knives": Combining flat and compact carry with great ergos. Sal/Spyderco are masters of this!
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

We should rediscuss this in 2041. Until then: thin/tall wins.
Last edited by eventhorizon on Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
notorious fidgeteer
Matus

Post by Matus »

I don’t mind that much on smaller knives, but on larger ones I definitely prefer a more hand filling handle. That is one of the reasons Inam looking to get some custom scales for my PM2, though most just copy the thin and boxy shape of the original ones.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I like thicker myself. I always thought the Golden made knives had just the right thickness. I find the ones made in Japan, particularly the G10 models, to be a bit thin. This isn't so bad for a knife you take out and use for 13 seconds every third day, but for any lengthy job they can almost be painful to use. My Chinook 3, made in Golden, has a nice hand filling handle, and can be used at length. My Chinook 4, made in Seki, is very thin in contrast. While it carries easier, ready for action, I can't really use the thing to prep a meal without some difficulty. I can use a Military all day. It is my favorite handle, coupled with my favorite clip, and light enough to be carried easily.
FK

Post by FK »

I have enjoyed the Seki-City FRN designs for over 25 years. Optimal balance between thin and comfort to hold and carry in pockets. Especially the Delica class of design.

The slightly thicker G10 Spyderco knives go into a nylon belt pouch, with clip attached. The clip makes the one handed open /close more secure. PM2 & Military fall into this category.

Heavy duty hard use,,,, equals a fixed blade with substantial handle.

Regards,
FK
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

A good case can be made for either thick or thin handles, but I guess it all boils down to personal preferences. Lately, I've been leaning more towards thinner handles. (Thinner being defined as 3/8" to 1/2" thick). While a 3/8" thick handle probably isn't as comfortable to use as a 1/2" thick handle, I just prefer how well the 3/8" thickness rides in my pocket--clipped or unclipped. Now when I was younger, the preference was to cart around larger/thicker knives. As I've gotten older, however, I tended to prefer something that a little more comfortable, especially since I lean towards carrying clipless. Personally, I think the overall length of the handle is just as important as the thickness.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Thin slab sided for carrying, but for actual use fat & neutral. Even something like Randall leather washers are very hand friendly.

Every one talks about the weight penalty of titanium vs. FRN when it comes to carry. For me this is usually offset in that in similar sized knives, slab sided titanium frame locks are generally thinner than FRN models and easier on the pockets to draw.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

For me, handles of comparable length should be thin but tall OR or thick but short. The essential thing is that the wrap of my hand be similarly accommodated.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kobold

Post by kobold »

Matus wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:32 am
I don’t mind that much on smaller knives, but on larger ones I definitely prefer a more hand filling handle. That is one of the reasons Inam looking to get some custom scales for my PM2, though most just copy the thin and boxy shape of the original ones.
Aramis?

I don't mind preserving the original shapes, because that is part of the design, but the tempting is strong for sure.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Matus

Post by Matus »

Shape in the means of profile is good, but the cross section is not quite optimal (for my hand)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...