Spyderco Q possible prototype???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Peter1960

Re: Spyderco Q possible prototype???

Post by Peter1960 »

Araignee wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:07 pm
I'm looking forward to a 30th anniversary edition in 2026... I want to believe ! :star-struck
I understand - faith can move mountains, hopefully Spyderco is a mountain. ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
sal

Post by sal »

Hi S11,

I forwarded your information to Alex, who is Eric's assistant. I don't know that they'll have time to chase it down. That was all a long time ago. I came up with the ideas (design, skeletonize, lock and offset clip spring ).

The spring clip was based on a Wichard clip that I'd seen used for another purpose. I wrote to Wichard to ask permission to use their idea and pay them royalties. They wrote back and said that everyone had already knocked it off for other uses and told me to just go ahead and use the idea. We did get some patents on the concepts.

I doubt that we'll make more. The molds are gone, the mold maker has passed, and we're pretty busy doing other stuff.

sal
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:42 pm
I doubt that we'll make more. The molds are gone, the mold maker has passed, and we're pretty busy doing other stuff.

sal
That's sad to learn but perhaps the context will be different five years from now :crossed-fingers
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:42 pm

I doubt that we'll make more. The molds are gone
Have you guys ever looked into 3d printed molds for short runs of injection molded parts? They claim it can handle up to a few thousand pieces per mold. https://formlabs.com/blog/3d-printing-f ... n-molding/
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:27 am
Have you guys ever looked into 3d printed molds for short runs of injection molded parts? They claim it can handle up to a few thousand pieces per mold. https://formlabs.com/blog/3d-printing-f ... n-molding/
Now such a novel fabrication technique would be very fitting for the Q, which was already innovative for its time :clapping-hands
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »