Salty Stretch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freediver

Re: Salty Stretch?

Post by Freediver »

I’m in.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Reviving this thread as we now have LC200N knives being made in Japan.

Please give us this knife. :winking-tongue
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

🧂
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tangent wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:17 pm

Curious if in that size category they'll go with the Stretch or the Endela (first? / at all?) for a "linerless salt treatment". My guess would be Endela Salt (just the logical choice between Pac Salt 2 and Salt 2) and I'd not be opposed to that choice. Mainly for the lower weight (the Stretch 2 weighs more than an Endura, and so a linerless Stretch Salt will most likely weigh more than a Pac Salt).

But actually a salty Stretch would be great (and still very light of course) too...

We'll see - almost can't imagine that they won't bring out some kind of Seki Salt in that very popular pm2-ish size eventually...[Edit: Ok, with the Atlantic Salt this already does exist]
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’m still in.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tangent wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:17 pm

Actually I recalled right now an idea I had once (and I am sure many before me), I think I even started a poll on this:

Why not just give the Atlantic Salt (handle) another blade shape (leaf = manix-ish, drop point = pm2/ss stretch-ish)?
This would result in something pretty close to a salty Stretch.

The Atlantic Salt handle in shape is pretty close to the Stretch 2 or PM2.

- Actually the Atlantic Salt offers a grip area like the PM2 (in shape and length), but is still more compact when closed (4.59" vs 4.81" - Stretch 2: 4.71").
- It does have the typical FRN chamfering,
- and a longer blade and cutting edge than both PM2 and Stretch 2.
- It is VERY light, just 2.3 oz / 65 g (!!) for an pm2-sized knife!

From what I understand, the by far most costly part for Spyderco are the FRN molds - for the Atlantic Salt though they already exist.

Just to give an impression: Below Atlantic Salt and PM2, just imagine the former with about the blade shape of the latter:

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tangent

Post by tangent »

I am happy to entertain any and all salt models. To me, they are the most practical and simple designs that Spyderco makes. To those of us who value the simplicity and lightweight functionality of an EDC, the Salts are King.

The blade shape of the stretch would make a great outdoor folder...and the salt model would make it pretty much free of concern regarding maintenance. I feel like it might be coming...very hopeful.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Nice idea ! I need another Stretch , just my thinking as a Salt the previous style blade may be more appropriate for use in a water environment. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Lc200 would be nice in a stretch 2 , or I could handle vg10 in a FRN color besides black , orange, lime green, red anything easy to spot on the ground !
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As often I' d hope for a longer blade / more cutting edge also in a "salty Stretch".
They gave the Salt 2 an a bit longer blade than the Delica, so why not in a salt version of the Stretch too?
Quiite some space in the handle left, and more cutting edge is always a good and never a bad thing imo.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

That's a really good idea. The Stretch was designed to be a folding hunting knife for field dressing game, and I believe a Salt version would allow it to excel in that application. I say this for two reasons.

First, blood is very corrosive due to its high salt content. But when it's getting dark, and you are loading the deer that you just dressed into the back of your pickup truck, you might not take the time to stop and clean your knife. However, that would not be an issue with a Salt Stretch thanks to its excellent corrosion resistance.

Then there is the fact that a Stretch without liners would be easier to clean. It still wouldn't be as easy to clean as a fixed-blade, which is why many hunters prefer them. But at least you wouldn't have trapped blood and fat rotting under a set of liners. The hunter would only have to focus on the pivot and lock mechanism.

A Salt Stretch with safety-orange FRN and LC200N blade steel sounds perfect to me. I would definitely buy one.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Have you considered the SpydieChef for big game hunting instead of the Stretch?
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Is it too early to suggest a Salty Stretch……XL?!

;)